Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

flight booked, leaving for CA 1 August!!! questions questions questions!!

flight booked, leaving for CA 1 August!!! questions questions questions!!

Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:06 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flight booked, leaving for CA 1 August!!! questions questions questions!!

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Pleased to say, airline tickets booked for all 4 of us for 1 August; leaving house 25 July; which means staying with relatives for a week, so by the time we leave i probably will be quite glad to be going.

visa interview at embassy is on 19 July, oooo, whats all that about, how does it all go? anyone got any stories on how all this works?

also got questions about mail redirection, how do you get your mail redirection done when you cant get a house until you have got your visa AND have to provide MLR documentation to the royal mail - I could get it all redirected a POB near to where we hope to live, or to husbands office (not a preferred option). Duh......... May end up relying on the "dad-redirection-service"........ although its quite scary just how confused an 80 year old bloke can get with letters.

finally, in reality, just how upsetting is that final party with all your mates and family members (that you actually like)... personnally, I would just go, but they all seem to want some sort of "closure???"
Oh dear, scary dad mail stories. Or in this case scary mum mail story. They are both in their early 70's and a bit forgetful. When I arrived I was expecting a couple months wages from back home to be paid into my account a few weeks after my arrival. My bank statements had been going to my mums for a while as my mail box in the Uk had been tampered with a couple of times.

I stressed and stressed she didn't have to do a thing, just forward my bank statements to the father in laws house and any other important mail. I even wrote it down and stuck it on her fridge. The day I was expecting a few grand in my account there was nothing, no access at the atm. Not a thing. I called the bank and they said my account was closed. My mum had gotten a bank statement, gone a bit batty and called them to say - oooh, he doesn't live here anymore love. He's off to america 'e is. Nice one mum ha ha - took me a month to sort it out and many phone calls.

The father in law offered to lend us some money until it was sorted but just as the lovely wife was about to say - thanks dad, that would be great; my pride kicked in and I said - ahem, erm thanks but no, really, we have enough to see us through for a few weeks ah ha ha ha, we'll be fine. The missus pinching me in the back the whole time lol. Well, we had forty dollars. My advice would be find a symathetic pidgeon fancier and have your mail strapped to a birds leg. If your folks are like miine it might be better in the short run. Hope this helps
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flight booked, leaving for CA 1 August!!! questions questions questions!!

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Oh dear, scary dad mail stories. Or in this case scary mum mail story. They are both in their early 70's and a bit forgetful. When I arrived I was expecting a couple months wages from back home to be paid into my account a few weeks after my arrival. My bank statements had been going to my mums for a while as my mail box in the Uk had been tampered with a couple of times.

I stressed and stressed she didn't have to do a thing, just forward my bank statements to the father in laws house and any other important mail. I even wrote it down and stuck it on her fridge. The day I was expecting a few grand in my account there was nothing, no access at the atm. Not a thing. I called the bank and they said my account was closed. My mum had gotten a bank statement, gone a bit batty and called them to say - oooh, he doesn't live here anymore love. He's off to america 'e is. Nice one mum ha ha - took me a month to sort it out and many phone calls.

The father in law offered to lend us some money until it was sorted but just as the lovely wife was about to say - thanks dad, that would be great; my pride kicked in and I said - ahem, erm thanks but no, really, we have enough to see us through for a few weeks ah ha ha ha, we'll be fine. The missus pinching me in the back the whole time lol. Well, we had forty dollars. My advice would be find a symathetic pidgeon fancier and have your mail strapped to a birds leg. If your folks are like miine it might be better in the short run. Hope this helps
Why didn't you get your UK mail redirected to a US address you Silly Sod?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:18 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why didn't you get your UK mail redirected to a US address you Silly Sod?
Because he's a silly sod.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Correct.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:22 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hey, that's JG's thang. Get yer own!!! I dunno, I had a million and one things to think about and my mail was the least of it. I only ever got bills and bank statements telling me how broke I was anyway so it was not high on the priority list.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, We were living at the inlaws for a few weeks till we got an apartment too. Mrs Sod wanted me to look at the place we would live and love in together so I didn;t have an actual address of my own.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:46 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
thanks for all the advice everyone. am trying to get organised, actually I LOVE organising - no bloody good at it mind you.

What I havent done though is any of the personal photo stuff for the kids, that is an excellent idea, pics of their mates from school to remind them.

Am now scanning all important documents to make sure they are all stored in various places just in case they get lost somewhere along the line.

wanna get the house empty and sorted and get going now, the waiting is getting on my nerves now. all i hear is how everyone wants us to stay and forget about going, which in one way is really really lovely to hear, but we have made the decision and we ARE going. I have even had to buy the office a webcam and set up a clock with my new local time set onto it (with a "dont call me until this alarm has gone off setting)

As for the "closure" comment, you would think from some of our friends that they are never going to see us again, its all a bit melodramatic, I mean, we are back again at Christmas for a visit....... I would like to declare it an off limits discussion and just have a great party. In fact, I may just do that!
Probably because you won't see some of them again....sad but true. With a lot of friends once you're gone, you're gone.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:43 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Probably because you won't see some of them again....sad but true. With a lot of friends once you're gone, you're gone.
maybe with some, but the ones we are bothered about will stay in touch - we are sure of that, the rest...... ah well....... i need to simplify my life anyway!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:47 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Very true. We have been surprised at who has made the effort and who has diappeared.