Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

First trip back home - mixed feelings....

First trip back home - mixed feelings....

Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First trip back home - mixed feelings....

Well good news anyone who is gonna be in Blighty over Xmas. According to today's papers, Christmas Day will be 60 degrees and it'll be one of the warmest Christmases on record!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

ALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Well good news anyone who is gonna be in Blighty over Xmas. According to today's papers, Christmas Day will be 60 degrees and it'll be one of the warmest Christmases on record!
if the weather people in the uk get that right ill eat my hat and my boxer shorts and my wifes meatloaf YUK
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
4 full Scottish brekkies, 3 Fish n Chips, 1 Curry and Scones with Clotted Cream. +7lbs when I got 'home' to Texas
This sounds like the making of a fantastic new version of "The 12 Days of Christmas"
Old Dec 20th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, LOL at a few posts there. I shall update you on our return, but having spoken to my parents yesterday, who just happened to bump in to my out-laws in the village, they are still going on about the bloody hotel. I swear, if they bring it up once, they may regret it. The most important thing for me is, that the kids get to see the people that they want, we all get to spend time with people we haven't seen for 2 years, and we have a bloody good time, but I know that the usual bah humbug brigade, will do their best to spoil it as it all revolves around them........... oh, I can feel the "bite your tongue" saying revolving around me head already........

Anyway, maybe I'll be completely wrong and it'll all be fine, so have a fantastic time, wherever and whoever you're spending it with.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:22 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We have been home each year (thanks to free flights included in hubby's contract) and would never, ever consider it a holiday. It's a bloody chore. We always stay with my out-laws, no-one (except me!) would consider any other option. Last year was over Christmas with cancelled and re-scheduled flights, 3ft of snow, arrived Christmas eve for 6 nights, all exhausted, had to drag Christmas pressies over there and then back over here arrgghh.. This year was Thanksgiving week, but combined with visit to London Embassy for visa renewals then anxious wait to get passports back so we could get the hell out of there. We did manage to go away for a night up to Loch Ness which was lovely.

Every visit home is a combination of running round other peoples houses (at their convenience) and sitting on our backsides at the in-laws watching repeats of allo allo or QI and listening to the drone of 'tv is much better here'. We can't go out apparently because we are here to see them!!

We didn't visit our relatives down in Kirkcaldy this time so noses are out of joint. Apparently traveling 4,500 miles and being knackered is no excuse. Of course they would never consider doing the 100 miles North themselves.

Only upside was 4 full Scottish brekkies, 3 Fish n Chips, 1 Curry and Scones with Clotted Cream. +7lbs when I got 'home' to Texas

erm reading that back probably doesn't make you feel better about going sorry but maybe your friends and relatives are nicer than mine.
Most accurate description of visiting family & friends in the UK ever.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

I'm a "going home" trip veteran - somewhat battle hardened. I now never stay more than 10 days. Even in the summer holidays. Yes, flights are expensive, but 10 days is Always Enough. I now insist on going out every day - I Google places in advance so that we always have somewhere to visit even if it means that we take two buses to see a coal mining museum. Schedule the people you want to see in advance, or as soon as you get there. Always suggest meeting people on one of your outings - they join you there, meet for a coffee when you're done etc. That way you're not stuck in an endless succession of cramped houses. And hopefully the kids get tired and will go to bed before Granny gets cranky.

Oh, and remember to purge your vocab of any Americanisms - if you sound American, you'll never live it down!
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Thanks everyone, LOL at a few posts there. I shall update you on our return, but having spoken to my parents yesterday, who just happened to bump in to my out-laws in the village, they are still going on about the bloody hotel. I swear, if they bring it up once, they may regret it. The most important thing for me is, that the kids get to see the people that they want, we all get to spend time with people we haven't seen for 2 years, and we have a bloody good time, but I know that the usual bah humbug brigade, will do their best to spoil it as it all revolves around them........... oh, I can feel the "bite your tongue" saying revolving around me head already........
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you yield on your hotel plan! You need your own space, you need some privacy, and (if you are like me!) you need a warm place to return to! (my brother, as an example, prides himself on throwing open the windows in the middle of an icy cold day!). I do the same when I bring family over here - always put them in a hotel (except my mom, but she's over 80 ...).

Can't wait to hear how it went on your first trip!

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I usually feel the same trepidation prior to the trip. All of a sudden, that NFL football game seems more riveting, or a trip out with friends. Sometimes, I've even felt resentful. Then I get on the plane, the wheels are in motion, and I have a grand time.
It's hard to please and (visit with) everyone, so make time for yourself.
Before you know it, you'll be sad that you're coming back.
It's always a double-edged sword for me. I miss family, but I don't miss horrible service, CCTV, tiny parking spaces, everything being so expensive, CCTV, drunken yobs and CCTV.
CCTV ... closed captioned TV? oh ... wait ... it's you ... obviously this is a reference to closed-circuit TV cameras that are watching your every move and infringing on your freedom. Try ignoring them - it's amazing how that works.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I'm flying home on Sunday (Christmas Day) for two weeks. It's been almost three years since my last visit.

Every time I go back I feel like more of a stranger than the last. Things change so quickly.
Same - I'm back right now staying with family, after not being home for 5 years. My sister has her husband and 3 kids and is going full bore, my parents are getting older and rub along with each other now quite happily doing there own thing, I feel like an "outsider" in my own family to a degree and it's quite depressing actually .

Wonder what I gave up just to follow some silly "dream" about living in america. Now I don't feel like I have a home anywhere - here or there.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Same - I'm back right now staying with family, after not being home for 5 years. My sister has her husband and 3 kids and is going full bore, my parents are getting older and rub along with each other now quite happily doing there own thing, I feel like an "outsider" in my own family to a degree and it's quite depressing actually .

Wonder what I gave up just to follow some silly "dream" about living in america. Now I don't feel like I have a home anywhere - here or there.
Oh I'm so sorry you're feeling in a kind of limbo, that is not a good place to be. Maybe it's because you've not been back for 5 years that you feel like that, but I'm sure that your mum and dad and your sister and the rest of the family, are delighted that you're there to share the festivities with them. I hope you can enjoy yourself over Christmas, and that you can settle back down when you come back. MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

So today has arrived and my stomach is in knots, don't know if that's the nerves about flying or just nerves about everything. It doesn't feel real that this time tomorrow I'll be back among my family and friends, but I just wanted to thank you all for your posts, and I will check in once I arrive back in the good old US of A!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:44 am
Account Closed

So today has arrived and my stomach is in knots, don't know if that's the nerves about flying or just nerves about everything. It doesn't feel real that this time tomorrow I'll be back among my family and friends, but I just wanted to thank you all for your posts, and I will check in once I arrive back in the good old US of A!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL
Have fun!
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Oh I'm so sorry you're feeling in a kind of limbo, that is not a good place to be. Maybe it's because you've not been back for 5 years that you feel like that, but I'm sure that your mum and dad and your sister and the rest of the family, are delighted that you're there to share the festivities with them. I hope you can enjoy yourself over Christmas, and that you can settle back down when you come back. MERRY CHRISTMAS
Thanks ! Hope you have a great time.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
CCTV ... closed captioned TV? oh ... wait ... it's you ... obviously this is a reference to closed-circuit TV cameras that are watching your every move and infringing on your freedom. Try ignoring them - it's amazing how that works.
Exactly. If you are not doing anything wrong, why would anybody worry about the CCTV.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
Exactly. If you are not doing anything wrong, why would anybody worry about the CCTV.
I saw a TV prog where there was a city centre fight (in the UK). The cops were gonna arrest this guy until the CCTV operator said to them 'No that guy was just standing there, he didn't do anything.' So they were able to arrest the right people.

I bet that guy would be pretty grateful for CCTV
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I saw a TV prog where there was a city centre fight (in the UK). The cops were gonna arrest this guy until the CCTV operator said to them 'No that guy was just standing there, he didn't do anything.' So they were able to arrest the right people.

I bet that guy would be pretty grateful for CCTV
There you go. Thank God for Big Brother!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.