Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

First trip back home - mixed feelings....

First trip back home - mixed feelings....

Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default First trip back home - mixed feelings....

So we're heading back to Scotland for the first time since we moved here in February 2010. I thought I would be really excited, but for some reason, I'm feeling really anxious about the whole thing. I was just wondering if you guys felt the same going back or am I just reading way too much in to it. We've already upset the out-laws because we're staying at a hotel and not with them (they have a 2 bed flat and there's 6 of us going home, plus the others from London - so do the maths!!) We thought it would be easier to use the hotel as a base, and spend as much time with everyone as we can, but apparently we are disappointing them as they won't see us as much

Anyway, I hope everyone on BE has a wonderful Christmas and a fantastic New Year. You've helped me immensely this year and I look forward to being a member of this forum for many more years to come
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back home - mixed feelings....

Originally Posted by Brat1
So we're heading back to Scotland for the first time since we moved here in February 2010. I thought I would be really excited, but for some reason, I'm feeling really anxious about the whole thing. I was just wondering if you guys felt the same going back or am I just reading way too much in to it. We've already upset the out-laws because we're staying at a hotel and not with them (they have a 2 bed flat and there's 6 of us going home, plus the others from London - so do the maths!!) We thought it would be easier to use the hotel as a base, and spend as much time with everyone as we can, but apparently we are disappointing them as they won't see us as much

Anyway, I hope everyone on BE has a wonderful Christmas and a fantastic New Year. You've helped me immensely this year and I look forward to being a member of this forum for many more years to come
I find that I approach any trip to see family with a certain sense of trepidation these days.

P.S. Your hotel decision sounds like a no-brainer.

P.P.S. I got the dreaded pause and slight change in tone of voice when I informed my mother the other day that we would be visiting Mrs tonrob's parents in Germany next summer (and leaving the Sproutlet with them while we buggered off for a few days) and not visiting them in Italy....
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I find that I approach any trip to see family with a certain sense of trepidation these days.

P.P.S. I got the dreaded pause and slight change in tone of voice when I informed my mother the other day that we would be visiting Mrs tonrob's parents in Germany next summer (and leaving the Sproutlet with them while we buggered off for a few days) and not visiting them in Italy....
This is the impression that I'm getting, loud and clear, that we are going to spend the whole time trying to keep everyone happy, maybe this won't be the case, and maybe it'll all be fine, I suppose I'll have to wait and see. By the way, your idea of leaving the Sproutlet with the in-laws to spend some time on your own sounds like a brilliant idea, and looks like your trip is going to be fabby
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

We are visiting 'home' next year. Haven't been back since 2002 so its been a while. We have planned our vaca so we can spend a day or so with my daughter and the same with my mother, brother and sister-in-law. Everyone else has been told that if they'd like to catch up with us then they need to do the travelling, We are flying 6,000 miles to visit the UK and its our holiday, I'm not spending all my time jumping from relative to relative just to keep them happy.

Hubby is excited about going, to be honest I'm dreading it :\
Old Dec 19th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying home on Sunday (Christmas Day) for two weeks. It's been almost three years since my last visit.

Every time I go back I feel like more of a stranger than the last. Things change so quickly. I've lived here for almost 14 years and this will only be my third trip back. Parents are 80/87 so I NEED to go!

Thankfully, I've not got a lot planned, and I'll stay with my sister with the 'rents being a couple of miles away, so it'll be more boring than a chore. Not planning on sight-seeing or anything like that. Not much to see around Milton Keynes in January anyway!!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, I guess what I'm feeling is totally normal. It'll be interesting to see how I feel when I'm there and how I feel when I come back to Connecticut. I suppose it's just another part of the emotional rollercoaster, which is all part and parcel of being an expat. Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:20 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I usually feel the same trepidation prior to the trip. All of a sudden, that NFL football game seems more riveting, or a trip out with friends. Sometimes, I've even felt resentful. Then I get on the plane, the wheels are in motion, and I have a grand time.
It's hard to please and (visit with) everyone, so make time for yourself.
Before you know it, you'll be sad that you're coming back.
It's always a double-edged sword for me. I miss family, but I don't miss horrible service, CCTV, tiny parking spaces, everything being so expensive, CCTV, drunken yobs and CCTV.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:29 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is from Scotland as well. He was very nervous going home after 2 years. We stayed 2 nights at his folks, then I went down to London for a few days to see some friends while he stayed home and then we stayed two nights at a hotel in his town. He said he found home depressing and very dull and he's in no rush to go back. I would not stay with the outlaws again. I think it's perfectly normal to be nervous. I hope you are feeling better Brat!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1

You're doing the right thing with the Hotel. You will need some "Quiet Time" for yourselves, and should not spend time bouncing around family and friends. You are travelling thousands of miles to see them - the least that they can do is drive a little bit to visit with you.

It will feel a little bit wierd, the first time you board a plane to cross the Atlantic (Westbound) to your "Home" Country.

Best of Luck!

Jim.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
He said he found home depressing and very dull and he's in no rush to go back.
"Parochial" was the word I found to describe my feelings of home when I last went back.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone, I feel a bit better now and think that I'll probably feel the same as all of you, rolled in to one. And, looking at the weather forecast for the next 10 days, I'm definitely taking a pair of wellies and a brolly......
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:24 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We have been home each year (thanks to free flights included in hubby's contract) and would never, ever consider it a holiday. It's a bloody chore. We always stay with my out-laws, no-one (except me!) would consider any other option. Last year was over Christmas with cancelled and re-scheduled flights, 3ft of snow, arrived Christmas eve for 6 nights, all exhausted, had to drag Christmas pressies over there and then back over here arrgghh.. This year was Thanksgiving week, but combined with visit to London Embassy for visa renewals then anxious wait to get passports back so we could get the hell out of there. We did manage to go away for a night up to Loch Ness which was lovely.

Every visit home is a combination of running round other peoples houses (at their convenience) and sitting on our backsides at the in-laws watching repeats of allo allo or QI and listening to the drone of 'tv is much better here'. We can't go out apparently because we are here to see them!!

We didn't visit our relatives down in Kirkcaldy this time so noses are out of joint. Apparently traveling 4,500 miles and being knackered is no excuse. Of course they would never consider doing the 100 miles North themselves.

Only upside was 4 full Scottish brekkies, 3 Fish n Chips, 1 Curry and Scones with Clotted Cream. +7lbs when I got 'home' to Texas

erm reading that back probably doesn't make you feel better about going sorry but maybe your friends and relatives are nicer than mine.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:17 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

ChocolateBabz, that was well written and made me laugh. Noses out of joint, indeed...
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

ALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob

I agree my wife flew back to Uk on 15th December and is staying with her parents in Newcastle and slowly freezing to death and complaining about UK prices to go for a night out . Obviously no 2 for $20 dollar deals in Newcastle

I am working in Brazil until 22nd Dec and then fly to join her to have Christmas with her parents and then down to Yorkshire to see my mum and friends on Boxing day. Ive not been back since March and cant say that Im really looking forward to it although it will be good top see mum and friends for a few days .

Im hoping it wil pass in a sea of alcoholic bliss as we ae coming back home to Florida on 31st December and my friends in Beverley are bit of a wild bunch when it comes to going to the pub so need to have a new liver lined up
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You ain't going to please every one, all the time...so do what's easiest and that's staying where you want, so you've got time out for yourselves to chill...it's supposed to be a holiday, not the United Nations peace keeping mission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.