British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   First trip back in 2 years - how it really was..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/first-trip-back-2-years-how-really-743750/)

SarahG Jan 4th 2012 4:31 pm

Re: First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9820575)
True, but there are plenty of woods out your way aren't there? Just a case of opps, it is winter...now where did they go? :lol:

:rofl: Maybe I should move somewhere near woods!

Giantaxe Jan 4th 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9820191)
I do think though that if I want to see any of my family again, I will have to go to the UK as they won't come over here. Perhaps with the exception of my younger brother.

Sadly, that's my situation too. The odd thing is that I had a close relative who used to come over frequently, but now is increasingly bitter that I left England. But the reality is that you can't control other relatives' actions and it's a mug's game to try to. You just have to concentrate on the people in your life who are actually interested in you.

Kar98 Jan 4th 2012 4:49 pm

Nobody crawls under your skin and takes a shit like family.

Bob Jan 4th 2012 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9820588)
:rofl: Maybe I should move somewhere near woods!

Well you are moving...so why not add that to the list of requirements :lol:

Michael Jan 4th 2012 5:01 pm

With all your misfortune over the past 2 years (lawsuit, health problems, health insurance problems, and landlord problems), it sounds like you are happy to be back.

By the way, what did you do about health insurance?

Jerseygirl Jan 4th 2012 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9820141)
So, after our first trip back, I thought I'd update you as to how it really went..... for anyone who's interested.......

The nerves turned quickly to excitement after arriving in Glasgow, and we all couldn't wait to see our families. It turned out to be very emotional, especially when I saw my parents and realised instantly, how much I had really missed them :( But they are both well and were delighted that we were home for the holidays. That was absolutely the best part of the trip.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Pet Peeves thread...but 'the holidays' really brasses me off. :frown:

It's Christmas and New Year...the holidays are in the summer months. You remember sex, sun, sand and sangria. :thumbup:

Nutmegger Jan 4th 2012 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9820575)
True, but there are plenty of woods out your way aren't there? Just a case of opps, it is winter...now where did they go? :lol:

And handy for Newtown, scene of the inspiration for the famous Fargo wood chipper scene . . . :sneaky:

Welcome back, Brat1!

Brat1 Jan 4th 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9820683)
Maybe I should have posted this in the Pet Peeves thread...but 'the holidays' really brasses me off. :frown:

It's Christmas and New Year...the holidays are in the summer months. You remember sex, sun, sand and sangria. :thumbup:

Ooops Jerseygirl, sorry, I can't believe I actually wrote that because I don't like the expression either....... maybe the inlaws have attacked my brain more than I thought :sneaky:

Jerseygirl Jan 4th 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9820718)
Ooops Jerseygirl, sorry, I can't believe I actually wrote that because I don't like the expression either....... maybe the inlaws have attacked my brain more than I thought :sneaky:

That's is possible... :lol:

My future son in law is Jewish and keeps saying 'The Holidays'. Of course I correct him every time. :D

robin1234 Jan 4th 2012 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9820683)
You remember sex, sun, sand and sangria. :thumbup:

Yes and I remember sex and sand being incompatible on occasions...

Brat1 Jan 4th 2012 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9820643)
With all your misfortune over the past 2 years (lawsuit, health problems, health insurance problems, and landlord problems), it sounds like you are happy to be back.

By the way, what did you do about health insurance?

You know what Michael, I think all the shit that happened over the last 18 or so months, has made me a stronger person and I've really found that a lot of what I thought I was missing, I wasn't really missing at all, if that makes sense. I now know the people who matter, and those who don't so this is a new year and a new me :thumbsup:

As for the health insurance, I am covered at present but I'm still in a war of words with United, although I think I'm on a hiding to nothing with it, so it looks like hubby's is going to have to be it, although we'll be skint, but I'm feeling more positive about everything and hope that the tumour never gives me any future hassle, so thanks for asking. As usual, if I sat down more and thought things through thoroughly, I might stop panicking as much, but I'm afraid that's who I am :)

Brat1 Jan 4th 2012 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9820710)
And handy for Newtown, scene of the inspiration for the famous Fargo wood chipper scene . . . :sneaky:

Welcome back, Brat1!

Thanks Nutmegger, I hope you had a wonderful Xmas and I wish you all the best for 2012. And I love Bob's idea about the woods........... especially since my other half is in the landscaping business, I'm sure a chipper would be readily available, after I embalm them first........ I joke of course :angel:

Michael Jan 4th 2012 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9820754)
You know what Michael, I think all the shit that happened over the last 18 or so months, has made me a stronger person and I've really found that a lot of what I thought I was missing, I wasn't really missing at all, if that makes sense. I now know the people who matter, and those who don't so this is a new year and a new me :thumbsup:

As for the health insurance, I am covered at present but I'm still in a war of words with United, although I think I'm on a hiding to nothing with it, so it looks like hubby's is going to have to be it, although we'll be skint, but I'm feeling more positive about everything and hope that the tumour never gives me any future hassle, so thanks for asking. As usual, if I sat down more and thought things through thoroughly, I might stop panicking as much, but I'm afraid that's who I am :)

Although I don't know you, the impressions that I get is that you are a bit of a drama queen but on the other hand, once you get over the drama, you appear to have a very positive attitude and don't complain about minor things.

Brat1 Jan 4th 2012 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9820803)
Although I don't know you, the impressions that I get is that you are a bit of a drama queen but on the other hand, once you get over the drama, you appear to have a very positive attitude and don't complain about minor things.

You know what, I don't know you either, but if I come over as a bit of a drama queen, then that's the way it is, although I would class a "drama queen" as someone who has the tendency to exaggerate everything. :confused: I don't feel that I've exaggerated about my emotions and the things that I've been through since moving and I always try and be positive for others on here as I know how tough the whole moving country and expat life thing is like. But hey, I've been called worse :flirtyeyes:

Michael Jan 4th 2012 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9820824)
You know what, I don't know you either, but if I come over as a bit of a drama queen, then that's the way it is, although I would class a "drama queen" as someone who has the tendency to exaggerate everything. :confused: I don't feel that I've exaggerated about my emotions and the things that I've been through since moving and I always try and be positive for others on here as I know how tough the whole moving country and expat life thing is like. But hey, I've been called worse :flirtyeyes:

I didn't mean to offend you and that is why I said "bit". You have never been over the top like a drama queen but I meant that you seem to get yourself over worked up about things such as the lawsuit (maybe that would be because you didn't understand that is fairly normal in the US and very little to concern yourself about).

Now as far as your illness, everybody would get themselves very worked up about something like that and I never considered that as drama.

As I said, I think you are overall a very positive person.