FIRPTA

Old Feb 28th 2023, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Joepatriate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FIRPTA

Evening all,

British Citizen, US Resident Alien, returning to the UK in June. Selling my US home.

Does anyone have experience with FIRPTA when selling a house in the US? Apparently there is a law on the books that requires 15% of the home sale price to go back to the IRS. From what I can gather this is ONLY for foreign nationals and not US resident aliens (which I am). Would appreciate anyone that has gone through this process to share their experience. TIA.
Old Mar 1st 2023, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIRPTA

No personal experience or knowledge on this but it very much sounds like it applies to "foreign persons" and as a resident legal alien I don't believe it applies to you if you sell it before returning to the UK. It also sounds like a tax withholding, not a tax so even if 15% tax were withheld then when you filed your IRS return you may get it back depending on the capital gain of the sale.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...sfers%2C%20etc.

Old Mar 1st 2023, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Joepatriate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FIRPTA

Thanks yeah that’s my interpretation as well. Just got a little panicked by my realtor. If we have to put $150k aside that puts somewhat of a damper on our move haha. Appreciate your thoughts.