Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finding Rentals and Home Shares AND Offering Them

Wikiposts

Finding Rentals and Home Shares AND Offering Them

Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Rentals and Home Shares AND Offering Them

Originally Posted by windsong
It will be interesting to to see if this thread can match up lookers with "offerers"
If I were a landlord looking to rent to tenants on a direct basis, I don't think that I would want to do something like that on an open discussion forum where posters are used to using words such as extortionate and outrageous and are obviously typically coming from somewhere else, mostly unfamiliar with current localised/regional rental market conditions and pricing in the UK and why they are so. I could be laying myself open to all sorts of humiliation, IMHO.

If we functioned like some kind of real estate Band of Brothers (IYKWIM), then I might think differently.

An awful lot of returnees are looking to rent with pets and this alone can create a significant difference of opinion as to what the landlord's point of view should be, even though some prospective tenants have shown they clearly understand/appreciate it .
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:54 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
If I were a landlord looking to rent to tenants on a direct basis, I don't think that I would want to do something like that on an open discussion forum where posters are used to using words such as extortionate and outrageous and are obviously typically coming from somewhere else, mostly unfamiliar with current localised/regional rental market conditions and pricing in the UK and why they are so. I could be laying myself open to all sorts of humiliation, IMHO.

If we functioned like some kind of real estate Band of Brothers (IYKWIM), then I might think differently.

An awful lot of returnees are looking to rent with pets and this alone can create a significant difference of opinion as to what the landlord's point of view should be, even though some prospective tenants have shown they clearly understand/appreciate it .
Just to deviate......BoB was an excellent series ! I'd love to go on the BoB tour they have just to walk in their footsteps and travel along the routes they took.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Just to deviate......BoB was an excellent series ! I'd love to go on the BoB tour they have just to walk in their footsteps and travel along the routes they took.
Looks like there is such a thing on offer:

http://www.beyondbandofbrothers.com/dates_prices

But it comes out at around USD500 per day for the France piece.

You could always look at the locations as mentioned on the various clips, starting at Upottery in Devon where the airlift took place and moving to Brecourt Manor, inland from Utah Beach, maybe using St Mere Eglise as a base, and then move on from there.

Sounds like a plan!?

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 17th 2013 at 3:11 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:12 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Looks like there is such a thing on offer:

http://www.beyondbandofbrothers.com/dates_prices

But it comes out at around USD500 per day for the France piece.

You could always look at the locations as mentioned on the various clips, starting at Upottery in Devon where the airlift took place and moving to Brecourt Manor, inland from Utah Beach, maybe using St Mere Eglise as a base, and then move on from there.

Sounds like a plan!
Yep, sounds like a plan to me I'm on their email list so they send me updates and emails all the time. The anniversary tour next year (6th June) is $5,999 for an 11 day tour, but you have to fly to France to meet the tour and then depart from Germany. But everything is included so all accommodation, food, transport (except for getting to Paris and from Germany that is..lol)

It would be good to sit down and work out a route and on long weekends or holidays make a trip out to each different location. Self-guided tour
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, sounds like a plan to me I'm on their email list so they send me updates and emails all the time. The anniversary tour next year (6th June) is $5,999 for an 11 day tour, but you have to fly to France to meet the tour and then depart from Germany. But everything is included so all accommodation, food, transport (except for getting to Paris and from Germany that is..lol)

It would be good to sit down and work out a route and on long weekends or holidays make a trip out to each different location. Self-guided tour
I agree. If you time it right - seasonally - you should be able to do a DIY trip very reasonably using the ferries from Poole or Portsmouth to Cherbourg or Caen/Ouistreham and you could include other areas of interest where the Brits and Canadians landed and key locations where the campaign moved forward. Was in Normandy for a non-military theme vacation two years ago and used excellent cheap public transport (Maneo) which serves some landing beaches.

Combo of Normandy Beaches, Bayeux, Caen, Hill 112 etc., Falaise Pocket and breakout, with local seafood, cider and dairy produce etc. makes for quite a package.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:51 am
Yorkshire Lass

I agree. If you time it right - seasonally - you should be able to do a DIY trip very reasonably using the ferries from Poole or Portsmouth to Cherbourg or Caen/Ouistreham and you could include other areas of interest where the Brits and Canadians landed and key locations where the campaign moved forward. Was in Normandy for a non-military theme vacation two years ago and used excellent cheap public transport (Maneo) which serves some landing beaches.

Combo of Normandy Beaches, Bayeux, Caen, Hill 112 etc., Falaise Pocket and breakout, with local seafood, cider and dairy produce etc. makes for quite a package.

Thanks for that.. something to look forward to in a year maybe, once I'm settled and working and have vacation time due.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that.. something to look forward to in a year maybe, once I'm settled and working and have vacation time due.
A British company that does battlefield tours - this one to Normandy:

http://www.holts.co.uk/2013/28-2013amour_normandy.html

You could rip this one off in some fashion, to save money.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see Band of Brothers, so I am not sure what it is all about. I think I understand your point of view, though. My hope was that people could at least connect with each other on this thread and do the details privately. If you have some other ideas, though, I would be interested to hear them because perhaps there is something better we can do in this regard. It would be terrific if we had something more structured, I know.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I currently have a house share semi organized for myself, but due to passport delays he might not be able to hold the room for much longer, so I need to try figure out something else just in case.

I'd love to have a place of my own, have shared for too long and want the luxury of some peace and quiet for a change...lol Although right now I can't afford to be too fussy because when I get back I won't have a job straight away and my budget will be tight.

Okay, enough rambling....am looking for a 1 bedroom flat anywhere along any of the 6 London transport zones, so near the transport and close to shops, would be idea. I can manage £500 per month at this stage, and it has to be furnished.

Or.... furnished double room in house/flat share ! I would prefer it to be just myself and one other person rather than a large house with lots of other people. I'm not unsociable by any means, but as I said earlier... I'm hoping to find somewhere a little quieter than I've been used to..lol. House/flat share would also have to be along transport zones as mentioned above.

Older household would be nice if at all possible, as I'm nearly 50 so wouldn't be suited to share with house full of young people..lol

Thanks for listening
Once in the B&B, what are your plans for trying to find a flat?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:01 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by windsong
Once in the B&B, what are your plans for trying to find a flat?
The lady who owns the B&B also has a flat she's willing for me to rent on the same property
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

The lady who owns the B&B also has a flat she's willing for me to rent on the same property
Oh what luck, had forgotten all about that! Hopefully it ends up being a fabulous place, the landlady a real darling, and a job there just waiting for you. All good wishes to speed you on your way!!!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:51 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Oh what luck, had forgotten all about that! Hopefully it ends up being a fabulous place, the landlady a real darling, and a job there just waiting for you. All good wishes to speed you on your way!!!
(((Hugs))) yes to all of the above !
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

How did you find the B&B Whofan? Any particular site or just googling? I wish you all the best..
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:51 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by fulwood
How did you find the B&B Whofan? Any particular site or just googling? I wish you all the best..
I think I was just Googling, or Binging LOL I remember I was on a 'Visit Lancashire' site and it had links to hotels, B&B's and Self Catering and I went on from there. Of course one link leads to another and then you end up finding a site you probably never would have found yourself

Of course if anyone is looking for a home-share, then I've looked at www.houseshare.co.uk and www.spareroom.co.uk and all seem to have a good selection, especially if you place your own 'room wanted' ad, because then people who have a room contact you and tell you what they're offering.

Last edited by WhoFan63; Apr 12th 2013 at 6:54 am.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ohh yes! I forgot about that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.