Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finacially,how is the move going to effect you?

Finacially,how is the move going to effect you?

Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:12 am
Home Sick for Blighty

Roadhog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finacially,how is the move going to effect you?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why do you think becoming US citizens would cause you to lose British citizenship? It wouldn't.

Here's a good site which explains the US position: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

The US naturalisation oath does not have any effect under British law and the US doesn't care about you keeping British citizenship provided you deal with US authorities as if you were solely a US citizen.

As I've noted - if you have had kids born in the US they are American citizens even if the rest of the family are not, and if you don't sort this out before leaving this could well cause a lot of discord later on.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Yes I do understand your comments, but I was led to believe that once you bacame US Citz, then you had to send back your British Passports... Is that not the case?
Colin.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadhog
Jeremy, Yes I do understand your comments, but I was led to believe that once you bacame US Citz, then you had to send back your British Passports... Is that not the case?
Colin.

It is not the case. Where did you hear otherwise?
(a lot of British migrants in Australia have 'heard' the same thing about having to hand back their passports when they become Australian - totally untrue)

If you ask on this forum, or some of the US forums, you should come across others who have naturalised in the US and have no problems keeping their British or Canadian passports.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 6th 2005 at 3:46 am.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
(a lot of British migrants in Australia have 'heard' the same thing about having to hand back their passports when they become Australian - totally untrue)

If you ask on this forum, or some of the US forums, you should come across others who have naturalised in the US and have no problems keeping their British or Canadian passports.

Jeremy
I got both UK and US pasports
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:14 pm
Home Sick for Blighty

Roadhog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
OK. Thanks. We will give it some serious thought and some more research. Colin.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:24 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scrawni
We may head back to the uk within the next 6mths and I just wondered how people cope with it finacially?

For most, no job to go back to, no house etc and on top of that you have the expense of the removals etc.

How do you manage it?

Mandy
We lost (or gained through our experiences if you look at it that way ) about 25,000 pounds in our move to Perth and then back to the UK. Removal costs both ways, sale of house in UK and then sale of house in Perth. Flights and the cost of taking our pets to Oz and back to the UK. The list is endless.

We stayed with my parents on our return though and managed to save a good amount before moving into our new house but no where near what we spent on our 2 year holiday/adventure/experience/trip.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:22 am
Just Joined

aussie_sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scrawni
We may head back to the uk within the next 6mths and I just wondered how people cope with it finacially?

For most, no job to go back to, no house etc and on top of that you have the expense of the removals etc.

How do you manage it?

Mandy
Do you know I have not even thought of the financial side of moving. I just know I have to do it for myself. My family emmigrated in 1958, I have never known any of my family. My mother was one of 16 children in the midlands, and I have met 2 of her sisters, now, in 2005 I want to meet some of the 122 cousins and hangers on that I can. We went back for a holiday in 2000 but that is not enough. Now, I need family. It can be done, you just gotta want it bad enough is all I reckon. I'll drink to that one.