Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Filling up Transfer of Residence(ToR1) form - can I bring food in?

Filling up Transfer of Residence(ToR1) form - can I bring food in?

Old Sep 9th 2023, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

slushie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filling up Transfer of Residence(ToR1) form - can I bring food in?

I'm moving from Hungary to the UK and I'm in the process of completing the ToR1 form. Am I allowed to bring non dairy food into the UK as part of my move? The food items I have are like jams, preserved vegetables and fruits, baking ingredients that I can't find in UK. Also, does anyone know how long does it currently take for the ToR1 form to be approved?
Old Sep 10th 2023, 5:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling up Transfer of Residence(ToR1) form - can I bring food in?

Originally Posted by slushie
I'm moving from Hungary to the UK and I'm in the process of completing the ToR1 form. Am I allowed to bring non dairy food into the UK as part of my move? The food items I have are like jams, preserved vegetables and fruits, baking ingredients that I can't find in UK. Also, does anyone know how long does it currently take for the ToR1 form to be approved?
I did a TOR returning from Australia to the UK in March. Approval took 48 hours
I brought back (and listed) several bottles of various sauces - lime & basil, that kind of thing - vegemite, liquorice (for my best mate, I loathe the stuff!), cheesy crisps, crackers, chocolate, instant coffee tins, various herbs & spices, jars of marinated cherries, mint sauce & horseradish sauce (which were British anyway!), All were sealed and unused, all approved, no questions asked.
Old Sep 10th 2023, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyana for sharing your recent experience. Love it how you are bringing back the British stuff back to British shores I wonder if homemade preserved jams and vegetables that are sealed will be permitted?
Old Sep 10th 2023, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana for sharing your recent experience. Love it how you are bringing back the British stuff back to British shores I wonder if homemade preserved jams and vegetables that are sealed will be permitted?
Don't see why not - if they're well sealed, wrap them in case they break - most of my jars were wrapped then inside plastic boxes/crates, then inside moving boxes - then just list them as "sealed/unopened preserves", and don't mention their origin!
Seemed crazy bringing back British stuff, but I'd bought it from UK outlets in Aus, or on previous trips home, and then ended up coming home permanently a couple of years sooner than I had intended so I had a stockpile of stuff, and I wasn't going to dump it!!
Old Sep 10th 2023, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Pollyana, that's most helpful. Now for the challenge to estimate number of boxes for the ToR form before I even have a clue on what I'm bringing over with me!
Old Sep 11th 2023, 4:18 pm
Home and Happy

Thank you Pollyana, that's most helpful. Now for the challenge to estimate number of boxes for the ToR form before I even have a clue on what I'm bringing over with me!
Now that I can't help with much I'm afraid, except to say better to over-estimate than under-estimate!
They are more interested in number of items though, rather than number of boxes - so a rough list like:

cutlery x 100
plates x 10
books x 200
cd x 50
Plastic storage boxes x 30

That sort of thing