Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Filing Tax Returns for those residing in U.K

Filing Tax Returns for those residing in U.K

Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

aish84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filing Tax Returns for those residing in U.K

I need to file my tax returns for the last 3 years however I have been working in the U.K so what documents do I need to show if I don't have a W2?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing Tax Returns for those residing in U.K

Originally Posted by aish84
I need to file my tax returns for the last 3 years however I have been working in the U.K so what documents do I need to show if I don't have a W2?
Whatever the UK equivalent is. I think it starts with a P.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thank You!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:55 pm
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aish84
My wife, who's a US Citizen, filed her taxes through the IRS office in the London Embassy when we were down there a while back.

They were very helpful and talked her through the process and she used her P60.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:26 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimandRae
My wife, who's a US Citizen, filed her taxes through the IRS office in the London Embassy when we were down there a while back.

They were very helpful and talked her through the process and she used her P60.
The P60 can be used to confirm your earned income. In 2012 you can exclude around $95.1k of foerign earned income from your US taxes. If you have not filed for 3 years be careful of FBAR and 8938 filing requirements and read this.....

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Instructions-...r-US-Taxpayers

It might be worthwhile checking with a dual qualified tax advisor if you have to file FBAR or 8938 or have any US tax to pay. If you don't have to file FBAR and have no US tax due just go ahead and file the tax forms.....there will be no penalty if there is no US tax.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thank You !!
Old Dec 26th 2012, 11:48 pm
Shackles

abacon1971 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Check out Taxes filing with the US IRS in London on WIKI posted by 'BritishGuy36' it's very helpful.