Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Filing Tax Returns for those residing in U.K

Filing Tax Returns for those residing in U.K

Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Yogilynn02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filing Tax Returns for those residing in U.K

Thanks for that - yes I am a USC. I've looked at the 1040 and I don't know where I'd indicate no income. That was what had me confused.

I've actually lived in the UK for 22 years and until we started my husband's green card application I didn't even know I was supposed to fill out US tax returns.

I know for the purposes of the I-864 you are supposed to provide the previous 3 years tax returns. That is what prompted my question - if I was filing Married filling separately and my husband in a Non-Resident Alien I would't list his income, so my income would be zero, so do I need to fill them out and bring them with me when we have our interview?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. Any help/comments welcomed.

Lynn
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogilynn02
Thanks for that - yes I am a USC. I've looked at the 1040 and I don't know where I'd indicate no income. That was what had me confused.

I've actually lived in the UK for 22 years and until we started my husband's green card application I didn't even know I was supposed to fill out US tax returns.

I know for the purposes of the I-864 you are supposed to provide the previous 3 years tax returns. That is what prompted my question - if I was filing Married filling separately and my husband in a Non-Resident Alien I would't list his income, so my income would be zero, so do I need to fill them out and bring them with me when we have our interview?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. Any help/comments welcomed.

Lynn
You would send the tax returns to the IRS and make sure you are in compliance with them. Filing "married separately" is the best way to go. If you had zero earned income then you enter that on Line 7 of the 1040. If you have zero US tax due then there will be no fines or interest for back taxes, however, if you have UK pensions, things like ISAs or endowment mortgages or own UK accounts worth more than $10k your situation will be more complex.

The US Embassy in London has a tax office that is often helpful.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

aish84 is an unknown quantity at this point

do i have to file form 2555 along with 1040 as i'm working in the u.k?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:39 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aish84
do i have to file form 2555 along with 1040 as i'm working in the u.k?
If you want to exclude income earned in the UK from US taxation you would file 2555, but the alternative is to take a foreign tax credit on your US tax for tax you paid in the UK. See which is better for you.