British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Feeling a bit sh*tty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/feeling-bit-sh%2Atty-572349/)

TraceyW Jan 10th 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Feeling a bit sh*tty

Ok, little update from moi....

Both kids are now into their new school and it is wonderful to see them go into, and come out of, school happy little chappy's. Their teachers are wonderful, their peers, on the whole, are well mannered nice kids and we are feeling very relieved....phew!!:thumbup: Even the parents are much nicer, they actually smile and speak to me!

I still haven't been able to find work, but I shall keep plugging away. Hubby still doing his plumbing training which he is enjoying.

The house is still a major work in progress and will be for a few years yet we imagine :eek:. We have finished the bedrooms and we're starting on the downstairs loo next week. We are both very happy armed with a hammer or a paint brush, which is a good job really!

The area we are living in is so trouble free and we never feel threatened or worried walking around. It's a small town, surrounded by countryside, and we both feel we've made the right choice. We've got a bit of a social life now, and seeing as we're not major party animals, this suits us just fine. We never really did adapt to the alcohol fueled barbi culture every weekend in Oz. It just wasn't us and we got pretty bored with the sameness week in, week out, and eventually didn't bother very much. We love the thought that we have things planned now: a weekend at a holiday camp in Cornwall for a friends b'day. A weekend in London to see the sights and a show with friends. Camping on the south coast in June. Up to the midlands for B-I-L 40th bash in April......it's great to have something different to do rather than sit in someone's back garden talking the same crap with basically the same people every weekend.

We talked the other day, me and hubby, and he admitted to being rather happy back here and we both feel, as long as the job situation and finances pan out ok, we can have a very good life back here. Both the kids have stated they do not want to go back to Oz any more as they refuse to leave their family again! Never thought I'd hear that one, but they so love spending time with their grandparents etc.:wub:

So, to anyone else just about to make the big move home, it can be done, it isn't easy and plain sailing and I swear there is such a thing as reverse culture shock! This place isn't perfect, nowhere is, but it's not shallow, fickle or lacking in heritage or history; it has that in bucket loads. It's where we choose to raise our children, surrounded by their loved ones to guide and nurture them. We know they will face challenges and even danger as they are growing into adults, but they would've faced challenges and dangers in Australia. Don't be fooled by the British media, this place hasn't gone to the dogs at all, you just have to choose your areas carefully, just like anywhere in the world. All I do is never buy a newspaper and rarely watch the news, thus ensuring I do not get blindsided by negative claptrap. I am now a firm believer in 'If it doesn't affect me and mine directly...then I ain't interested'

For all those still out there battling with the decisions, keep strong. And to those who have finally chosen where they need to be.......isn't it a fantastic f'ing feeling!!!!!:thumbsup:

Tr1boy Jan 10th 2009 4:57 pm

Brilliant news Tracey, I'm glad you are feeling better about your move back. I'm up at 5am as I can't sleep at all. Seems incomprehensible thaa few days ago I was having lunch with my family in a lovely country pub, and now am back in Sydney:(

Counting the months until I can post my own 'return update' and I hope it will be a good as yours.:)

Bevm Jan 10th 2009 8:05 pm

Glad everything's going well, Tracey. :)

Saw an old piece -- June 2008 -- on a study that showed that youth drinking is going down a lot in the UK. But those who are still drinking are drinking more and harder stuff. They put it down, ironically, to tightening rules and enforcement so they can't drink in pubs. Apparently they've started a regulations where bartenders have to ask for age id for anyone who looks under 21, even though the age is 18.

In the pubs they sort of behaved or got thrown out. Now they lurk in groups in parks and things and encourage each other to get worse. But it's great to know that most youngsters now are actively avoiding drinking and the drunks.

That really reinforces the idea that those with choice need to choose their spot, and as with anywhere, avoid certain places.

Got tickets and place booked for our March in Devon. We'll be trying to pretend we're living there to see if there's any serious downsides we haven't thought of. 8 weeks!

Bev :)

quoll Jan 10th 2009 8:10 pm

Good to hear that things are finally falling into place Tracey! Great to hear that the kids are settled and enjoying their new livess.

I hear you about reverse culture shock - I had that big time after living in PNG for a few years and then moving to central Bristol. I even had a full blown panic attack in the men's suiting department of M & S because of the crowds and the bustle! Doesnt happen when I go home now though, drop me in Leicester Sq and I am the happiest bunny in the world!

The work thing will happen - have you thought about getting your foot in the door with some volunteering? It has always been hard to get your foot on the teaching ladder both in UK and in Aus from my experience but once you are on it, the world is your oyster.

Onwards and upwards!

cally49 Jan 11th 2009 8:59 pm

Oh its great to hear that your little people are settling now..You will be amazed the change in them since your post in November....I am sure work will come along for you soon it's so nice to hear that things are starting to fall into place for you all....May this year be your year!
Cheers
Cally:)

theyoungs Jan 11th 2009 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 7149095)
Ok, little update from moi....

Both kids are now into their new school and it is wonderful to see them go into, and come out of, school happy little chappy's. Their teachers are wonderful, their peers, on the whole, are well mannered nice kids and we are feeling very relieved....phew!!:thumbup: Even the parents are much nicer, they actually smile and speak to me!

I still haven't been able to find work, but I shall keep plugging away. Hubby still doing his plumbing training which he is enjoying.

The house is still a major work in progress and will be for a few years yet we imagine :eek:. We have finished the bedrooms and we're starting on the downstairs loo next week. We are both very happy armed with a hammer or a paint brush, which is a good job really!

The area we are living in is so trouble free and we never feel threatened or worried walking around. It's a small town, surrounded by countryside, and we both feel we've made the right choice. We've got a bit of a social life now, and seeing as we're not major party animals, this suits us just fine. We never really did adapt to the alcohol fueled barbi culture every weekend in Oz. It just wasn't us and we got pretty bored with the sameness week in, week out, and eventually didn't bother very much. We love the thought that we have things planned now: a weekend at a holiday camp in Cornwall for a friends b'day. A weekend in London to see the sights and a show with friends. Camping on the south coast in June. Up to the midlands for B-I-L 40th bash in April......it's great to have something different to do rather than sit in someone's back garden talking the same crap with basically the same people every weekend.

We talked the other day, me and hubby, and he admitted to being rather happy back here and we both feel, as long as the job situation and finances pan out ok, we can have a very good life back here. Both the kids have stated they do not want to go back to Oz any more as they refuse to leave their family again! Never thought I'd hear that one, but they so love spending time with their grandparents etc.:wub:

So, to anyone else just about to make the big move home, it can be done, it isn't easy and plain sailing and I swear there is such a thing as reverse culture shock! This place isn't perfect, nowhere is, but it's not shallow, fickle or lacking in heritage or history; it has that in bucket loads. It's where we choose to raise our children, surrounded by their loved ones to guide and nurture them. We know they will face challenges and even danger as they are growing into adults, but they would've faced challenges and dangers in Australia. Don't be fooled by the British media, this place hasn't gone to the dogs at all, you just have to choose your areas carefully, just like anywhere in the world. All I do is never buy a newspaper and rarely watch the news, thus ensuring I do not get blindsided by negative claptrap. I am now a firm believer in 'If it doesn't affect me and mine directly...then I ain't interested'

For all those still out there battling with the decisions, keep strong. And to those who have finally chosen where they need to be.......isn't it a fantastic f'ing feeling!!!!!:thumbsup:

Fantastic post Tracy :thumbsup:

It's really lovely to hear about how people are getting on when they have recently returned. I have followed your threads closely and really felt for you when you returned and things weren't going quite how you planned.

BUT it is now great to hear that things are so positive and that is a great boost for us soon to be returnees.

We ping ponged and I must admit I am more nervous about returning this time round than last time so reading your post this morning has really given me a boost............ thank you

Please continue to keep us updated :D

Chelle xx

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me Jan 13th 2009 4:23 am

Glad all is panning out for you after the initial culture shock of being home, keep us updated & wish you all the very best - think I am the only one left now from the original Boat meet!

TraceyW Jan 13th 2009 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by lil_ol_wine_drinker_me (Post 7160108)
Glad all is panning out for you after the initial culture shock of being home, keep us updated & wish you all the very best - think I am the only one left now from the original Boat meet!

i know....i wonder whatever happened to Tina Baker? I often think of her and hope she managed to make it work back here.

you take care xxxxxxx

Erica P Jan 13th 2009 10:42 pm

So pleased to see things are getting better for you Tracey. Your posts are a good reminder to us potential returnees that its not all going to be plain sailing.
Hope things just keep getting better for you:thumbsup:

Keep us posted!

rabsody Jan 15th 2009 6:00 am

Tracey, what a great post! So pleased for you that it's all working out now after a bumpy start. I totally agree with all you say about boring, bland barbies etc. We've just had a month in Blighty and I loved the diversity and everyone seems to have very active social lives - weekends away, seeing shows, nights out etc. It's not perfect, but it's interesting and lively - warts and all. Being away gives you so much more appreciation.

All the best for 2009 :thumbsup:

the troubadour Jan 15th 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 7170378)
Tracey, what a great post! So pleased for you that it's all working out now after a bumpy start. I totally agree with all you say about boring, bland barbies etc. We've just had a month in Blighty and I loved the diversity and everyone seems to have very active social lives - weekends away, seeing shows, nights out etc. It's not perfect, but it's interesting and lively - warts and all. Being away gives you so much more appreciation.

All the best for 2009 :thumbsup:

Active social life what is that?Totally agree,Englands more a country for adults is one way how i see it.real life which takes in the good and the bad..all part of the deal of life in England.
Gave up on boring barbies years ago...