Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Expired UK passport; Can I travel to the UK?

Wikiposts

Expired UK passport; Can I travel to the UK?

Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

fashioncafe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired UK passport; Can I travel to the UK?

my uk passport expiry and iam in jordan can i travel from jordan to uk with expiry passport and in london make renew the passport

thanx
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my uk passport expiry and iam in jordan

Originally Posted by fashioncafe
... can i travel from jordan to uk with expiry passport and in london make renew the passport
That depends on how long ago your passport expired. You'll probably need to renew your passport before travelling.

Ian
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

expired 20.6.2009 and i need travel after 2 days uk immigration department return me or no
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Dear Sirs,

My British Passort is expired since 20/06/2009 and I need to travel urgently to Britain and the process for renewing my passport will take at least 3 weeks. I will leave Jordan with my Jordanian passport and I wish to show my british passport upon arrival to London. Will that be sufficient and I intend to renew it in London. will they deny my entry to Britain in this case?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I will leave Jordan with my Jordanian passport...
Why didn't you say that up front? You never mentioned you had a second passport.

I wish to show my british passport upon arrival to London.
I'm sure that'll be fine. Even if your passport is expired, you are a UK citizen with the right to enter the UK.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Sirs,

My British Passort is expired since 20/06/2009 and I need to travel urgently to Britain and the process for renewing my passport will take at least 3 weeks. I will leave Jordan with my Jordanian passport and I wish to show my british passport upon arrival to London. Will that be sufficient and I intend to renew it in London. will they deny my entry to Britain in this case?
I'm sure you will probably be fine, but you might want to check on the Middle East part of this forum.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why didn't you say that up front? You never mentioned you had a second passport.

I'm sure that'll be fine. Even if your passport is expired, you are a UK citizen with the right to enter the UK.

Ian
Do Jordanians need a visa for the UK? If so, the problem may be leaving Jordon, not entering the UK. If the OP is travelling on a Jordanian passport and does not have a visa for the UK, they will not let you get on the plane in Jordan. This is an international requirement that is strictly enforced.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 25th 2010 at 10:45 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Do Jordanians need a visa for the UK? If so, the problem may be leaving Jordon, not entering the UK. If the OP is travelling on a Jordanian passport and does not have a visa for the UK, they will not let you get on the plane in Jordan. This is an international requirement that is strictly enforced.
It's not an "international requirement", it's a UK requirement for Jordanian passport holders to have a visa. And no British consular officer will put a visa in the passport of someone who is a British citizen. So the options, without a full British passport, are:

1. According to the IATA database an expired British citizen passport IS valid for travel to the UK: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...alth/global/en

If flying on a direct flight, perhaps approach airline for pre-approval to use an expired British passport (not recommended to leave the discussion until check-in), or

2. Right of Abode stamp in Jordanian passport would be acceptable, or

3. Get an emergency/temporary British passport.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Ayala123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expired UK passport; Can I travel to the UK?

my uk passport expiry and iam in jordan can i travel from jordan to uk with expiry passport and in london make renew the passport

thanx
I guess this reply is a little late but if you go in person to the British consulate in Jordan and show them your expired UK passport, won't they give you an emergency passport that same day - or else a travel document of some kind that will confirm you have the right to enter the UK?
I am pretty sure that here in Israel they would, so don't see why they wouldn't in Jordan.