Expense of moving back?

Old May 18th 2013, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice
Default Expense of moving back?

When you moved back to the U.K. did it cost you a lot of money to take your household goods and other stuff back with you? Is it best, more economical to leave stuff like furniture, etc. behind or sell them off before you move back, then buy new stuff once you are back?
Old May 18th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expense of moving back?

Before I left South Australia I chose to give everything away (many things to a niece), then bought new furniture once I was settled in the UK. I considered that it would be too much hassle keeping things in storage, not knowing where I would live, nor how long it would take.

Starting a new life it was also refreshing to have new furniture rather than dragging my old life with me. During my give-away period I was sad to lose some cherished belongings I had known all my life, but once they were gone it didn't matter any more. I think we tend to be bogged down with familiarity which can clutter our minds as well as our homes.
Old May 18th 2013, 11:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barrybriggs
When you moved back to the U.K. did it cost you a lot of money to take your household goods and other stuff back with you? Is it best, more economical to leave stuff like furniture, etc. behind or sell them off before you move back, then buy new stuff once you are back?
Bit of both, really. If you will be in furnished rental for a while, it may be better to get rid of most furniture, as storage could be expensive. Also, much US furniture simply won't fit in UK homes - why pay through the nose to get it home, only to sell for next to nothig, or give away when you get here?

It is definitely worth considering which "small" things to keep. I sold off some relatively new garden equipment (gas-powered weed-whacker/hedge trimmer/edger) to a friend for about $20-$30 - then ended up paying £200 for a new one within a year or two of being back. That was a bit stupid.
Old May 18th 2013, 2:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't taking furniture just our belongings that we couldn't replace, and clothes, a few bits and bobs and Dh's tools (including the strimmer!)
None of our furniture is expensive stuff, most came second hand, we have had kids all over it for what seems like forever and always said we'd get new matching stuff one day. So the big move will be the day once we are not living with the rellies.
Our shipping costs are estimated to be between $2000 and $4000 depending on how much more we get rid of. We are aiming for $2000 and a couple of extra checked suitcases at $40 each
Old May 18th 2013, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you can leave sell/give away items and buy new here in the UK then I would do that. We brought a lot of our things back to the UK and a lot of items are still in storage until we decide where to live and buy.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:14 am
b2b
Just Joined

b2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really nice

Find out what it will cost and then try to estimate the value of your goods. I did this and found I would have been paying a bit more to ship my goods than what they would be worth. So I sold everything and when I returned I bought new. Clearly there was a large penalty in doing this, but at least I have put money into buying new things with UK guarantees, bought when I need them, delivered to my door, not waiting 3-6 months for goods to arrive, not knowing what condition I will find them in.

If you have a load of sentimental or antique furniture then you will probably want to ship them. My thoughts are that essential items you cannot live without for months so you will end up buying them again. I had already done my research so knew the cost of replacement. Also of course I didn't need to replace everything I had, so just focused on essentials.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:25 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Before I left South Australia I chose to give everything away (many things to a niece), then bought new furniture once I was settled in the UK. I considered that it would be too much hassle keeping things in storage, not knowing where I would live, nor how long it would take.

Starting a new life it was also refreshing to have new furniture rather than dragging my old life with me. During my give-away period I was sad to lose some cherished belongings I had known all my life, but once they were gone it didn't matter any more. I think we tend to be bogged down with familiarity which can clutter our minds as well as our homes.
100% agreed
Old May 21st 2013, 6:28 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

We are spending about $2000 on an 8x8x4 foot container of stuff. We are only taking a coffee table as it was handmade for us by a friend, other than that, just kids toys books, some electronics etc... Personally unless your furniture cost a lot I think its a waste to ship it. Consider that all the furniture in say a 3 bed house will cost upwards of $10k to ship, now imagine what you could furniture you could buy with $10k. Just saying...
Old May 22nd 2013, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Rony is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should sell your furniture. Leaving your stuff like furniture will be more economical for you. If you choose self storage or shipping option then you have to pay huge amount.