expat blues

Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

MADPUPPIES2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default expat blues

Just out of interest how many people have moved back to the Uk and wished they hadnt. Ive just done it and feel like moving away again, does the feeling go. Do you feel better with time. have I made the right decision.
how many people have moved away from the Uk again because it didnt feel right
Lots of questions but you get the general idea
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expat blues

How long ago did you move back?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:44 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Whats bugging you about being back?

ke
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry your having a rough time making the transition. Please do elaborate on what you are feeling, what you miss, what you are finding hard to adjust to.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

well I must admit Ive only been here three weeks but my OH still works in Canada and the first day i got here I contemplated going back although I moaned about it every day i was there. Came back, ate the bacon, had a pork pie, saw friends, walked around old haunts but the WOW factor just didnt hit.
Rented a house for a while so have to just go with it but after 6 months might go back again. the grass isnt always greener as they say!!!Now I hate the way no one greets you in the shops even though I moaned about it over there, here there is so much traffic, so much rain, every day it pours, so many people with no time for anyone else, prices have gone up despite the general feeling in canada thats its cheap over here. Miss those blue skies and crisp snow even though i said I hated the snow, seen the family and yes it was lovely but now they go back to their lives and I must go on with mine, Anyone else???
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need more time to adapt. Is your OH intending to join you? I think that would make a big difference. I went back to the UK in 1998 after being away for nearly thirty years and found it very hard at first. But I had my family there so that helped a lot. We only stayed two years as my husband could not find work but I ended up thoroughly enjoying my time there. Three weeks is a very short time .....I cried so much during my first weeks back there! Once I started working, I soon started to see the benefits of living there.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

yes crying seems to be the norm but I appreciate the note. hubby going to stay awhile over there but back at christmas so looking forward to that
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MADPUPPIES2
well I must admit Ive only been here three weeks but my OH still works in Canada and the first day i got here I contemplated going back although I moaned about it every day i was there. Came back, ate the bacon, had a pork pie, saw friends, walked around old haunts but the WOW factor just didnt hit.
Rented a house for a while so have to just go with it but after 6 months might go back again. the grass isnt always greener as they say!!!Now I hate the way no one greets you in the shops even though I moaned about it over there, here there is so much traffic, so much rain, every day it pours, so many people with no time for anyone else, prices have gone up despite the general feeling in canada thats its cheap over here. Miss those blue skies and crisp snow even though i said I hated the snow, seen the family and yes it was lovely but now they go back to their lives and I must go on with mine, Anyone else???
I'm not sure where you are but it hasnt been raining here every day or even every other day, we always get a smile and a greeting in shops, people most definitely have time for others around here. We are finding it cheap but we came from Australia and not Canada so cant comment on that aspect.
We have been blown away by the friendliness and helpfulness of people here and have noticed that those who dont seem happy here are the ones that dont see those things so maybe the mood of the individual clouds what they see ?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm not sure where you are but it hasnt been raining here every day or even every other day, we always get a smile and a greeting in shops, people most definitely have time for others around here. We are finding it cheap but we came from Australia and not Canada so cant comment on that aspect.
We have been blown away by the friendliness and helpfulness of people here and have noticed that those who dont seem happy here are the ones that dont see those things so maybe the mood of the individual clouds what they see ?
One of the things that always strikes me when I go home is the difference in thestyle of greeting in shops. QUite often back home I'll get a cheerful "hi" or "how are you" but they seem to be more inclined to accept that not everyone wants to talk! Here in Aus there is more of a culture of wanting you to stand and chat, regardless of how busy you are, knowing that the check out person really doesn't care how your day has been but has been ordered to engage customers in conversation. Today was a typical example:
:Hi, what a lovely day, how was your day?"
"I'm on night shifts, I've been asleep."
"oh thats nice, did you enjoy it?Was it a good sleep" - I mean....WTF? I don't want to discuss my sleeping habits with a spotty oik who is young enough to be my grandson, I just want to buy two tins of tuna!!!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with Michali, in that you need a little more time to adjust to your situation and surroundings. Not only is a move stressful in its own right, but to do it without your OH to share the pressure and experience adds to your anxiety and may well make you feel isolated. Not a good feeling.

Deep breaths, one day at a time. Focus on the positives. Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:06 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One of the things that always strikes me when I go home is the difference in thestyle of greeting in shops. QUite often back home I'll get a cheerful "hi" or "how are you" but they seem to be more inclined to accept that not everyone wants to talk! Here in Aus there is more of a culture of wanting you to stand and chat, regardless of how busy you are, knowing that the check out person really doesn't care how your day has been but has been ordered to engage customers in conversation. Today was a typical example:
:Hi, what a lovely day, how was your day?"
"I'm on night shifts, I've been asleep."
"oh thats nice, did you enjoy it?Was it a good sleep" - I mean....WTF? I don't want to discuss my sleeping habits with a spotty oik who is young enough to be my grandson, I just want to buy two tins of tuna!!!
Agree, Here in Canada I will actually avoid going in clothes shops when there are no other customers inside. The attendants fight for your business and I always get the 'hello, how are you. Is there anything I can help you find!?'
Well I don't know, I just walked through the door, I haven't looked yet!
Will I miss this when I return? I don't think so.

Anyway, to the OP, give it a bit more time. When your husband joins you it will feel more homely and you will have the support. I know when my husband is away on business I get lonely so I can only imagine how you feel arriving into a different country on your own.

Take care
Old Nov 19th 2012, 12:04 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

It probably wasn't the best time to come back, what with the nights drawing in and the weather turning colder, but I assume there were reasons.

It will make a difference where you are. There's about an hour's difference between Land's End and John O'Groats in how much daylight in the winter, but overall, Britain is much further north than most of Canada. A lot of people don't realize that. Toronto's about on a level with the south of France.

Yes, those crisp blue-sky winter days in Canada can be lovely, but remember the deep freeze, and shoveling, and slipping on rutted icy sidewalks....

And if you can go back if you want, that's not too bad. It's an adventure!

Bev
Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest how many people have moved back to the Uk and wished they hadnt. Ive just done it and feel like moving away again, does the feeling go. Do you feel better with time. have I made the right decision.
how many people have moved away from the Uk again because it didnt feel right
Lots of questions but you get the general idea
I hope you are felling better.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all, still finding it hard and only time will tell if I return but all your words made put a smile on my face