Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ex-pats and the single tier pension.

Ex-pats and the single tier pension.

Old Nov 6th 2014, 11:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-pats and the single tier pension.

Originally Posted by Editha
OK. Deep breathe. Begin again.

My husband reaches state retirement age in 2017, after 6th April 2016 when the 'single tier' pension rules come into force. A previous pension forecast had told him that he had 30 years contributions which would have been sufficient for a full pension under the old rules, but you will need 35 years contributions to get a full single tier pension; so, we were anxious to make up the shortfall.

We've just got another pension forecast for him and realise that it is much more complicated than we realised because SERPS is being abolished under the new rules. That is the State Earnings Related Pension Supplement. But additionally anyone who was in a 'contracted out' pension scheme (mostly public employees) will have their pension reduced because they didn't pay SERPS contributions.

Under the old rules my husband will get a pension of £121.23 a week. That is the basic state pension of £113.10 plus £8.13 SERPS.

But, under the new, single-tier, rules he will only get £75.26 a week, which is only slightly more than half of the full single-tier rate of £148.40
. This is not just because he has a shortfall of five years in contributions. Most of the reduction is because he was in a 'contracted out' pension scheme for most of his working life.

So, even if he made up the five missing years in Class 3 contributions, he would gain nothing because he would still get less under the new rules than he would get under the old. The rule is that you will get the higher of the two amounts.

The DWP advisors we have spoken to have said that in 2016 it will be possible to make up contributions, but the rules have not been published yet and we will have to wait and see whether he could benefit.
This is the first time I have seen anyone post an actual forecast indicating the possible effects of the new pension arrangements. I'm in a similar situation (will have 29 or 30 years when I reach retirement age and have largely works in jobs where I have paid into an occupational pension and therefore was contracted out of SERPS). I imagine many people on BE will be similar, was we seem to have largely people who have worked in professions that have occupational pension schemes (so they'd have been contacted out).

Several times, people have posted about the change from 30 years to 35 years. Several times I have read replies to such posts saying "What are you complaining about? You will be better off under the new pension rules" This forecast indicates this is not necessarily true.

As others have indicated, the general message on the government sites seems to be, "You will not be worse off under the new pension than you would have been under the old pension". Hopefully that is true.

But as with all these things, I don't think we will know the full story until people actually start to receive a pension under the new scheme. I already received one pension forecast about 4 years ago, that is now out of date/incorrect. I just sent off a request for another one, so I'm interested to see what the new one says.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 11:48 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that, because as a woman I reach retirement age earlier than my husband, I was going to miss out, because he would get the new single tier pension, but I'd be stuck with the old scheme. In fact, it looks as if I'm in a better position than he is. If I defer taking my pension to 65, it will be higher than his -- not that it is a competition, but it is the opposite of what I expected.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

But as with all these things, I don't think we will know the full story until people actually start to receive a pension under the new scheme. I already received one pension forecast about 4 years ago, that is now out of date/incorrect. I just sent off a request for another one, so I'm interested to see what the new one says.
When do you reach state pension date, Dunroving? As I understand it, they are rolling out new forecasts which include new world details a bit at a time. If you don't fall within those parameters, you might not get the new info yet, although you will get an update on your pension as far as the old system goes.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 1:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
When do you reach state pension date, Dunroving? As I understand it, they are rolling out new forecasts which include new world details a bit at a time. If you don't fall within those parameters, you might not get the new info yet, although you will get an update on your pension as far as the old system goes.
Hmmmmm .... [thinks deeply, counts fingers, takes off socks, counts toes] ... 2023, I think.

As they don't charge for a forecast and I haven't had one in 4 or 5 years, I thought it was worth getting another just to see what they say.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:44 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If you look on the pension site, you'll see they are only giving forecasts for people born before April '55. Everyone else has to wait until 2016.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:50 pm
Ping-ponger

If you look on the pension site, you'll see they are only giving forecasts for people born before April '55. Everyone else has to wait until 2016.
I did look on the pension site and as part of getting to the online form I had to enter my DoB. It didn't kick me back, but took me straight to the form on this page:

It's sent now, anyway, so I'll let you know what happens.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 4:09 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

OK. I'll be interested in your forecast. I was surprised at how much of a reduction was made from the single-tier forecast for contracting out.

We've worked out that my husband was in contracted out schemes for 25 years out of 29 years employment in the UK. For some of that time he was also in non contracted out employment, which accounts for the amount of SERPS he has.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 4:09 pm
Ping-ponger

What I meant was that you will be given the higher of the old style or the new style pensions. You don't get a choice, but it isn't determined by your date of birth either.

So my husband, for example, will get the old style pension, even though he reaches pension age in 2017, because his entitlement under the old rules is higher than under the new rules.
This is the first time I have seen anyone post an actual forecast indicating the possible effects of the new pension arrangements. I'm in a similar situation (will have 29 or 30 years when I reach retirement age and have largely works in jobs where I have paid into an occupational pension and therefore was contracted out of SERPS). I imagine many people on BE will be similar, was we seem to have largely people who have worked in professions that have occupational pension schemes (so they'd have been contacted out).

Several times, people have posted about the change from 30 years to 35 years. Several times I have read replies to such posts saying "What are you complaining about? You will be better off under the new pension rules" This forecast indicates this is not necessarily true.

As others have indicated, the general message on the government sites seems to be, "You will not be worse off under the new pension than you would have been under the old pension". Hopefully that is true.

I just pulled up the form - unfortunately, I can't copy and paste the exact text but it essentially tells you that it is possible to get a forecast but that it won't be based on the new rules.

If you want a forecast based on the new rules, you have to wait, but they point out that it is still possible to get a forecast if you were born post April '55, and that it is still relevant, because (paraphrase) "in the vast majority of cases ... this estimate will be the least amount you will get under the new rules"

Which is I think essentially what I and Rebs said between us in posts 18 and 19.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I'll be interested in your forecast. I was surprised at how much of a reduction was made from the single-tier forecast for contracting out.

We've worked out that my husband was in contracted out schemes for 25 years out of 29 years employment in the UK. For some of that time he was also in non contracted out employment, which accounts for the amount of SERPS he has.
If he was in a contracted-out scheme because he was getting enhanced payments into a company pension then he possibly gains from having index linking and spouse benefits in addition to a 25% tax-free lump sum.
I think that people that only contributed to the State scheme might be a little annoyed if your OH got the same as they did in addition to a company pension when he had paid less into the system.
Your OH isn't losing out - he is just benefiting from a separate pension.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 4:34 pm
Ping-ponger

Just out of interest - anyone know whether SERPS was a standard amount, and whether it resulted in a standard additional amount of state pension? Or was it (contribution) proportional to salary?

Additional, but different issue: One of the things I like about the US Social Security that is different than the UK state pension is that if you pay in more, you get more. In the UK, I pay a stack more in NI than many other people (including people who are not contracted out of SERPS), but I get the same (or even less) in state pension.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest - anyone know whether SERPS was a standard amount, and whether it resulted in a standard additional amount of state pension? Or was it (contribution) proportional to salary?

Additional, but different issue: One of the things I like about the US Social Security that is different than the UK state pension is that if you pay in more, you get more. In the UK, I pay a stack more in NI than many other people (including people who are not contracted out of SERPS), but I get the same (or even less) in state pension.
I think it is proportional - State Earnings Related Pension Scheme ie based on earnings.

SERPS and the State Second Pension | nidirect

The current system is massively complex - loads of elements have come and gone over the years - additional pension, graduated pension, serps, sp2 - all sorts.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 4:44 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by rebs
I think it is proportional - State Earnings Related Pension Scheme ie based on earnings.

SERPS and the State Second Pension | nidirect

The current system is massively complex - loads of elements have come and gone over the years - additional pension, graduated pension, serps, sp2 - all sorts.
I absolutely agree. My late father got a very good amount of state pension, and my mum always said it was down to the good advice I gave him a few years before he retired. I have no memory of that advice was and it amazes me that, even as a young and arrogant lawyer, I ever thought I knew anything about the NI system.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 6:12 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Just to add to my above comment:

It has occurred to me that National Insurance is like the Schleswig-Holstein question: There are only three people who have ever understood it; one is dead, another went mad and the third has forgotten it.