Ewell area

Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Ewell area

I'm moving back to the UK and have found a place in East Ewell. It looks like a quiet area. Anyone one know what it's like for shopping (clothes and food) and transport. We don't have a car a the moment, from what I'm reading this area looks like it would require one ... ?

Thanks,
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ewell area

Ewell in Surrey ?

Edit: I've just googled Ewell and only really came up with the one in Surrey so I'll prattle on with some comments in a mo !

Last edited by ann m; Apr 18th 2009 at 8:14 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Ewell is a nice enough area - cute village High Street and generally surrounded by a suburbia of semi's, with a few more expensive detached homes sprinkled around. Several large main roads carrying an enormous amount of commuter traffic with main routes northbound into south London via Kingston (very good shopping for 'big' shops!)

Nearest 'big' shops would be Epsom, literally only a couple of miles away. I like Epsom for shopping - fairly easy to pop in and out of (parking fees aside) - no massive stores, but all the regular names (mind you, I haven't been there for a year so some stores may have shut down of course). There is a decent Odeon cineplex and an OK swimming/leisure centre. There is a small theatre, a fairly well respected Arts College and about 2 years ago the borough of Espom & Ewell came top in the Channel 4 Phil & Kirsty Best Places to Live in the UK survey thingie. Take with a pinch of salt - but it's not a bad place at all. There is also the main area's General Hospital too. I've never had any issues with the Hospital, nor with the A&E department, but I'm sure others would tell a different tale - same with any hospital I guess.

Epsom can morph into a completely different animal on a Friday night, however - much like many smallish towns across the UK - but I wouldn't feel unsafe there. Perhaps avoid the bars at the end of Upper High Street/High Street

Public transport - I'm not too familiar with to be honest (it's 20+ years since I went to the college in Ewell) - there are bus services into Epsom or eastwards towards Cheam and Sutton (and Croydon boundaries I think). The rail station at East Ewell does similar routes I think - either go back into Epsom to change for a faster train into London, or take the slower routes via Sutton and Croydon. Epsom does several trains an hour into Waterloo or Victoria.

For day to day getting around, if there is just you, you could easily cycle to Epsom, or Cheam - however, if you have kids or need to get in a week's supply at Sainsbury's then a small car might prove essential. Don't forget that many of the UK supermarkets now do on-line shopping with deliveries.

Do you have kids - do you need to consider schools? What about employment for yourself or an other half - Ewell is within easy striking distance of many commercial centres for employment.

Good luck with it all
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:50 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

thats not a bad representation of Ewell, its a quiet village, if you like it a bit more vibrant it may not be for you, but its within bus rides of many other areas. I would be quite happy to live there.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:06 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Nice area but houses are very expensive.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BAY
Nice area but houses are very expensive.
Yes, but that's Surrey all over

If you need better value, I reckon Horsham would be my next bet. Depends if one needs fast links to London?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thank you all. Ann that is very helpful - I did mean Ewell in Surrey yes, sorry for not specifiying. It would be just myself and OH - no kids. We don't have a car at the moment but we might get one. In the meantime I might look at internet shopping for the heavy main shop. I looked at Tesco but I couldn't find out the cost of delivering. Anyone know what it is?

The place I have my eye on is classified as WEST Ewell, which looks like a mile away from Ewell itself so not too bad.

We'll be renting to begin.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:19 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
I'm moving back to the UK and have found a place in East Ewell. It looks like a quiet area. Anyone one know what it's like for shopping (clothes and food) and transport. We don't have a car a the moment, from what I'm reading this area looks like it would require one ... ?

Thanks,
My parents and my brother moved around there in the last 2 years. Its ok. There's a lot of old people in the area. There isnt many pubs around Epsom area though. Trying to find a seat in a pub on a sunny day in Kingston is very hard.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

I was born in Epsom hospital and went to school there - I lived near Drift Bridge which is just down the road from Ewell. I'm sure it's changed a lot since I stopped visiting 10 years ago after my Dad died, but the best thing about the area in my opinion wasn't how close it is to London, but how close it is to the lovely Surrey countryside. Epsom Downs is only a couple of miles from Ewell, and then you are in a green corridor through Headley and Mickleham, Box Hill and onwards down to the Sussex border. Surrey is so beautiful in the autumn when the leaves are turning. I chose to leave the area 35 years ago, and I have lived all over the place since, but now I think there is a lot to be said for this part of the world.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

I went to school in Ewell, and I was walking around Bourne Hall while working there in January. There's not a lot there, but it's nice enough. Kingston and Epsom are not far away.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:17 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

ooh - I spent any a happy hour in the pubs in Ewell village - east is more expensive than west - but both have great train links to the city