Ever feel like giving up.

Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Ever feel like giving up.

I woke up this morning to the realization that we might never sell our house. The housing market in the US is getting worse. Homes are not worth what they are valued at. Nothing is moving. Buyers want you to give them away as there is such a glut.

Even if we do sell the pound is so strong against the dollar that we could not afford to move our money across to the UK.

Any pensions we have would be reduced because of the great inbalance.

Its nearly two years now since we put our house up for sale and then took if off the market. In that time we have had to replace our fridge, replace carpets, and if we wait much longer the roof will be at the point were it needs replacing.

During the 3 years that we have been getting the house ready for sale and putting in on the market I have lost my Mother, brother and last week my best friend who was 2months younger than me died. I just feel like giving up and saying to hell with it. Whats the point.

So anyone reading this who is thinking of moving abroad think carefully before you do it. Dont regret it for the rest of your life.
I can see it coming I am going to be one of those ex-pats who I have met and I have met lots of them and they all say the same thing........I wanted to go home but I left it too long.......
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Ever feel like giving up.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I woke up this morning to the realization that we might never sell our house. The housing market in the US is getting worse. Homes are not worth what they are valued at. Nothing is moving. Buyers want you to give them away as there is such a glut.

Even if we do sell the pound is so strong against the dollar that we could not afford to move our money across to the UK.

Its nearly two years now since we put our house up for sale and then took if off the market. In that time we have had to replace our fridge, replace carpets, and if we wait much longer the roof will be at the point were it needs replacing.

During the 3 years that we have been getting the house ready for sale and putting in on the market I have lost my Mother, brother and last week my best friend who was 2months younger than me died. I just feel like giving up and saying to hell with it. Whats the point.

So anyone reading this who is thinking of moving abroad think carefully before you do it. Dont regret it for the rest of your life.
I can see it coming I am going to be one of those ex-pats who I have met and I have met lots of them and they all say the same thing........I wanted to go home but I left it too long.......

Don't give up hope, that's how i look at things. There is alot of us in the same boat (i can't sell my house either)...but no way will i give up trying. I believe in fate and if that means i have to make a loss on this house, then so be it. Buyers are putting in extremely low offers here too, it's an insult sometimes, but what goes round comes around. Hopefully for you and me, when we get back to UK, we too will insult home sellers and put in low offers.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trotty

Nu Shooz is right, don't give up hope!
Is there any way you could rent your house out until the market picks up and then just rent when you are back in UK? If the housing market has gone stale (and indeed houses are being repossessed etc) I would have thought the rental market demand would increase. anyway, just a thought. Hope you find a solution soon!

Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

You're not alone! We are in the same boat, except we have 4 properties to sell before we can leave and go to Scotland, and the housing market in South Africa is just the same as every where else in the world right now, not moving at all. Worst part of all, is that we had and accepted an offer on our home, guarantees were issued, we signed at attorney, buyer signed at attorney, then just before documents were lodged at deeds office, it all fell through!! I had already signed a lease contract to rent another house until end of Dec., and the landlord isn't being very sympathetic towards our dilemma and insisting (weither we move into his house or not) that we pay the rent for the term of the lease! So yes, I have felt like I just want to give up.., but I will not, I want to move back to the UK, and I will get there, even if it takes longer than I anticipated but I will get there eventually.
Good Luck
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I think the trashed dollar is making a lot of people's lives very hard, the latest forecast looks even worse on it too

Thank the Lord, when it came to the house and money anyway, I did not listen to him in 2005!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Never give up hope - that is one thing you cant live without!

Just when you least expect it, fate will jump in and lend a helping hand - I think it is a variation of s*d's law, the more you are desperate for something to happen, the less it is likely to! So, back to the drawing board with the house, go and buy a statue of St Joseph and bury him upside down near the front gate and go and forget about moving altogether, reframe your thinking into the fact that you are staying and going to talk positive about it and you can bet your house will sell within weeks!

Dont they say, prepare for the worst, hope for the best and take whatever comes along - you could do worse!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Dont they say, prepare for the worst, hope for the best and take whatever comes along - you could do worse!
That's been my mantra for a good while now, I think it covers most eventualities
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Gosh , you can't give up... it isn't an option in my book its the only thing that keeps me going...there are so many of us in this situ. We have had 5 open homes and haven't had one person turn up its soul destroying its the only thing holding us here. Have even put a thread in the NZ forum to see if anyone would be interested in a part exchange or house swap etc. We must try and stay positive and focused ...

Quoll... excuse my ignorance but who is St Joseph?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:27 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

St. Joseph, foster-father of Jesus, patron saint of workers, and...if you believe in odd stuff, a must-have to any home seller.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mstjoe.html

The United States Catholic Information Center in Washington, D.C., traces the tradition of burying St. Joseph back hundreds of years to St. Theresa of Avila (1515-1582), who prayed to St. Joseph (the patron saint of the family and household needs) for more land for Christian converts and encouraged her Discalced Carmelite nuns to bury St. Joseph medals in the ground as a symbol of their devotion.

Today, folks bury statues of St. Joseph instead of medals (some say the reason he is depicted as bald in so many statues is that he's been buried upside-down too many times). He can be buried in the front yard, upside down, facing away from the house or in the back yard, right side up, facing the house. Some cultures say once the house is sold, you must dig him up and take him with you. Others insist you leave him in the ground at your old house and buy a new one. Everyone agrees you need to give him a place of honor at your new home.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by penguinsix
St. Joseph, foster-father of Jesus, patron saint of workers, and...if you believe in odd stuff, a must-have to any home seller.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mstjoe.html

The United States Catholic Information Center in Washington, D.C., traces the tradition of burying St. Joseph back hundreds of years to St. Theresa of Avila (1515-1582), who prayed to St. Joseph (the patron saint of the family and household needs) for more land for Christian converts and encouraged her Discalced Carmelite nuns to bury St. Joseph medals in the ground as a symbol of their devotion.

Today, folks bury statues of St. Joseph instead of medals (some say the reason he is depicted as bald in so many statues is that he's been buried upside-down too many times). He can be buried in the front yard, upside down, facing away from the house or in the back yard, right side up, facing the house. Some cultures say once the house is sold, you must dig him up and take him with you. Others insist you leave him in the ground at your old house and buy a new one. Everyone agrees you need to give him a place of honor at your new home.
thanks for that...must now get a statue of St Joseph...any idea where from?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:17 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I would suspect a Catholic bookstore or supply store would have them. If there is a larger church or cathedral near you, or just look under 'religious supplies' in the phone book.

Or you can order online

http://www.buryjoe.com/
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Worse comes to worse there's always St Jude.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou all for your replies I was feeling really low last night. This morning isnt much better hearing the dollar just took another dive against the pound. Good time for UK people to come to the US just for a holiday.

When we had our house on the market last year I would spend all day getting it ready for a showing the agent would bring the propective buyers through and we would hear nothing more. Next time we put it back on the market we are going to be much more careful about the agent we pick to sell the house. It makes a big difference. Ours wanted other agents to do his work for him. Thats why he only wanted a 2% selling fee and 4% if another agent sold it. One of the problems was he was the sort that would agree with everything my OH had to say on the matter of price.

I do have a St. Joseph I used it when we sold our last house. I think that for it to work you really have to have faith in what you are praying about or it wont work. I think next time I will bury him at the top of the driveway instead of outside the front door. Which is were I put it this time. My OH who is a Catholic was not very happy that I was burying his namesake. I did put him a a plastic baggy. When we moved from our last house I forgot about him so I called my neighbour up and she popped across when the new people were our and dug him up for me.

Today the builders are here putting in the new window for the bedroom downstairs which I think was off putting to buyers. No one likes a dark room. So we have changed a few things which might help next time it goes on the market.

My Mum sent me a poem "One Day at a Time". I should remember that. Today I will keep busy.

My biggest fear is after our holiday in England next month I will not want to get back on that plane. If you hear about some old lady being dragged onto the plane by her OH you will know its me.

I really should be ashamed of myself for being such a defeatist. My best friend just died in the UK after battling colon cancer for 8years. She never gave up fighting.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Totty - no the old lady being dragged kicking and screaming onto a plane at Heathrow next month will be me!!!! Maybe we could start a trend

Hang in there, it will get better!!! Maybe you need to go and dig Jo up, wash his hair and put him back in again with a newfound belief in his ability to do the job for you!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Today the builders are here putting in the new window for the bedroom downstairs which I think was off putting to buyers. No one likes a dark room. So we have changed a few things which might help next time it goes on the market.

My Mum sent me a poem "One Day at a Time". I should remember that. Today I will keep busy.

My biggest fear is after our holiday in England next month I will not want to get back on that plane. If you hear about some old lady being dragged onto the plane by her OH you will know its me.

I really should be ashamed of myself for being such a defeatist. My best friend just died in the UK after battling colon cancer for 8years. She never gave up fighting.

aww TT, sorry your house is not selling but perhaps the new window will be the answer.

sorry to hear about your friend. when we hear sad news like that it surely puts life into perspective.

enjoy your trip back to the uk next month. i was there last month and went to wimbledon and i'm back home again next month....i can't stay away

yes, vet your realtor very carefully and negotiate the terms, they can be flexible if they want. have a lovely time back home and fingers crossed your house sells!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.