erm...

Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: erm...

Originally Posted by geeandtee
All right, you can put your teddies back in your prams now.

As I said at the outset, I knew I would piss some people off and I'm sorry if you don't like what I said, perhaps it was a little to close to the truth for some of you.

Thank you for taking the time to hurl childish insults. My curiosity was genuine but, apparently, it was taken as something altogether different. I maintain that a Forum is a place for expressing opinions, not a popularity contest.

For those of you who are hoping to return to the UK, for whatever reasons, I do, genuinely wish you well and hope that you find it is the right decision.
No the problem was that you hopped into a forum with judgemental statements and just sat back and waited for the fall out. No one here has been chucking their teddies (is that not a childish insult?) and I doubt that your utterances come anywhere close to the truth for most of us. As others have said, your curiosity is perhaps best exercised in a forum other than that which is targeted at those who are looking to return to UK
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:15 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm new to the ExPats forum. I joined, mainly out of curiosity, and to get info, primarily on the USA Forum. As one does, I was idly looking at the other bits and came across this forum.
I am going to probably piss a few people off here, but having read these various threads about people returning or wanting to return to the UK, I'm curious as to how long some of you have been in your "adopted" countries, and whether you are really giving yourselves a chance to adapt. It's a HUGE thing to up sticks and move to another country and it takes time to adjust. I don't think, IMHO, that a couple of years cuts it. Given the time, effort and money it takes to emigrate, why not try a little harder? No where is perfect, no one is entitled to a happy ending, that's just the way life is. For those of you with teenagers, you have to think about the effect it has on them. Is it really fair to uproot them, take them back to the UK where they will probably have the piss taken out of them because of jealousy? or becuase they talk different?
Sorry, I just had to say this. It saddens me that it seems some of you are not giving your "new" life a fair crack of the whip. There are plenty of things I miss about the UK, the weather, the food, the pubs, but they are relatively small things that I have learned to live without. There are also things about where I live that drive me to distraction, but I have learned to live with them.

OK, I'll get me coat now.

I don't normally rise to this sort of thing, particularly as you're clearly well aware of the affect your comments are going to have, but really... what's the point of your post??

"why not try a little harder?" is not being sanctimonious? What a pleb!

This forum is a supportive, friendly, witty little group aimed at a specific audience so it's hardly surprising that you don't understand our motives. I don't think we really need your curiosity at us strange beings but thanks for popping in!

Move along now!

Last edited by spuds; Mar 5th 2008 at 11:21 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We considered Australia and NZ but ruled them out, precisely because they were so far from family. It is frustrating, because of the quotas. I realize there are people here who have made a heroic effort to stick it out, and have tried to make the best of things. But, what I was trying to get over was that, before you even make the move, there's research to be done, pros and cons to be weighed out, etc. Once you get to a place, it isn't going to be like the brochures, or like a holiday because life isn't like that. There are good and bad points about any country.
Oh come on, that's incredibly patronising! We all did our ruddy homework or had been out before, it's not just a case of missing Tescos and yorkshire puds you know, it's more complex than that!

I'd already been out here for a year's working holiday, but living here as footloose and fancy free 21 year old and coming back with two little ones and a (now ex) Aussie husband are very different I'm sure you will agree. You don't consider things like schools, health and so on when you are young and childfree.

Sometimes I like it here, sometimes I hate it here. Quite a bit of the time I am homesick. Most of all I resent being trapped here as I cannot legally take the kids from the country, so I have another 7 years in "paradise".

Tell me, if you were forced to live somewhere against your will away from your loved ones for, say, 10 years of your life how would you handle it?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

(Quote) OK, I'll get me coat now.(Quote)

Bye then,

Don't slam the door on your way out!

M
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

As I said at the outset, I knew I would piss some people off and I'm sorry if you don't like what I said, perhaps it was a little to close to the truth for some of you.

Thank you for taking the time to hurl childish insults. My curiosity was genuine but, apparently, it was taken as something altogether different. I maintain that a Forum is a place for expressing opinions, not a popularity contest.

For those of you who are hoping to return to the UK, for whatever reasons, I do, genuinely wish you well and hope that you find it is the right decision.
The same tired old excuse used by people who take advantage of the faceless anonymity of the internet to deliberately (don't go into all the self-denial again, your past few posts show your true colours) poke people with a sharp stick.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:11 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

And I hope you enjoy your life and that you find in the end you made the right decision....many dont and get into a rut they can never get out of.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:52 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
What irritates me though is when people who this is clearly going to be the case for bother emigrating at all. There are only so many places available in each country, and so many of them are being wasted by people who if they were really honest will never stick it out.
How dare you be so judgemental. You know absolutely nothing about the people you are criticising. Sometimes you don't know how you will feel until you are there. You don't know how you will cope with a situation until it arises and people do have a right to try.

Do you honestly think that people pay a fortune for visas, medicals, shipping costs and air fares then sell up and move accross the world knowing that they won't stick it out. Don't you realise that people put so much into moving and are heartbroken when it doesn't work out for them?

We did loads of research before we went, but the reality of it is completely different. I hate having to explain myself to people like you, but my husband is a brickie and on our reckie visit was promised the earth by subbies. The reality was that he never knew if and when he'd get a full weeks work in, and when he did the wages were far lower than he'd been told 5 months previously. We were losing a fortune by just being in Australia. Then our teenage daughter returned to the UK leaving us heartbroken.

How could we "try harder" when we were dipping into our savings every month to pay the rent and we were missing our daughter so much.

Sometimes things don't go to plan. That's life. And when they don't, you have to make a decision on how to make things right again. If that means returning home, then we have every right to do so. Without being criticised or judged for it.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Well in my defense of the bit you quoted me on, there are plenty of people who state they are going to go over for a few years for the experience then intend to return home when it's time to have their kids or retire or whatever reason it is. They are taking up permanent residency spots that they never intend to be permanent, which only makes it harder for the rest of us.
But anyway - I was trying to defend the other guy because I share his views on the subject. Clearly those views aren't appreciated here.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:43 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Well in my defense of the bit you quoted me on, there are plenty of people who state they are going to go over for a few years for the experience then intend to return home when it's time to have their kids or retire or whatever reason it is. They are taking up permanent residency spots that they never intend to be permanent, which only makes it harder for the rest of us.
But anyway - I was trying to defend the other guy because I share his views on the subject. Clearly those views aren't appreciated here.
You kidding, why would anyone go through selling their home, buying a home in another Country...then after a few years selling their home abroad and moving lock stock and barrell back home and find they cannot get back on the housing ladder...sounds fun.

not..
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have closed this thread as geeandtee has apologised for any offense in a new thread.