Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

English schools...are they all bad?

English schools...are they all bad?

Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English schools...are they all bad?

Originally Posted by BAY
I'm sure the school and teachers are trying their best, but their hands are tied. I firmly believe its down the the behaviour of the children ... I've seen the pupils who attend the secondary school .. they're arrogant, rude, ill manered ... typical of a lot of children in city areas in England ... they know all their rights but nothing about responsibility ... they think the country owes them a living rather than having to work for it.

Because we're going to Australia we won't have to face the dilema the possibility of our son attending the school.
Oh you will.....my sons attend a "good" school here in Aus....last week we had the police (again) because of a stabbing....my sons friend has just come over to live from England said "drugs are far easier to get hold of here in Aus than in the U.K).....he is also classed as an A grade ++++++ and way in front of our children here (which is a common thing when children come over from the U.K...mine were "gifted and talented students" and why because in year 1 and 3 they could read,write and the eldest did long multiplaction and division...all just common place in most schools in the U.K.....I was a swim teacher for the Education here in Aus and I can tell you the children here know their rights and use them along with a lack of respect...so please do not come over here thinking your children will be attending schools with perfect pupils....not sure if that happens ANYWHERE in the world today...well in free thinking countries anyway....might I also add...I have to "stick" up for my families children back in the U.K (all our family either live in Europe or the U.K...sorry some in Canada and America) my nephews and nieces are just lovely upright citizens with either great jobs or are studying hard either at High School or Uni...not one of them is rude, abusive or has been in trouble...it may be just luck or the way they have been brought up.....all educated in the U.K......my sons have been educated in both countries (Aus/U.k) and as for the option as they grow older we would like them to be educated in the U.K....A level's/ GCSE's.....a great way to go!!!! don't forget you children will not have any quals here in Aus unless they finish year 12 and are doing Tee's..they can leave in years 10/11/12 without a single formal qual. and a lot do.....so it is swings and roundabouts.....every country has it's problems.....it is just where you want to live and be happy that counts.....I would not want to blame Aus because I was unhappy....it would be about me/us....and finding out where we are happiest....
Jackie (wow that was a long one...sorry folks!!)
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English schools...are they all bad?

Originally Posted by calle 1
I suppose by reading this thread and of course the media that there are 'bad' schools here and yes there are 'bad' kids, but to be fair there are loads of good ones. To compare in my situation; my son (coming from Florida schools), adjusted really fast thanks to good kids that quickly befriended him and also to good teachers that bothered to keep me informed on his progress.
He absolutely loves it and when I asked him if he would prefer to return and go to school in the states he flatly said 'no'. He has shown me his work and I would say the level of teaching and learning are close, and he attended gifted classes in the states. He has worked on countless projects, done work experience (which I thought was brilliant), and is eager to continue his education after six form by going to uni. He and his friends get together occasionally to go to the cinema or harmless comic conventions and such. He loves that he can get around easier here due to better public transport. He and his friends are well mannered and have their futures in mind. Like I say, this is just my experience but it shows that there is a full range, just like anywhere. I do agree however that much more power needs to be given back to teachers and people in authority to up the standards and to knock off some of this disrepect that you see in some kids...everywhere. Parents do also need to start this at home.
Back to your question, I think you should just try to find out the reputation of the school you are sending them to and they should be fine.
So please for you, our sons will be attending Sixth Form and High School in England and although they are English and lived there when they were younger we do worry about schooling..not the level of education...(my dad says if a child wants to learn he will learn anywhere!!!) but how they will be treated...after a long period in Aus they still have their English accents (helps with the girls here in Aus....!!!! that's what they say) you do worry about them settling in....so thank you for your words they are a comfort....we do have great friends at home and their children are really nice people, I think it all the media hype....at least it is allowed in the U.K press although not nice and over hyped it sells papers...other countries would really sensor it.....good or bad.....well that is another thread.
Thank you so much
All the best and hope your son continues to do really well...good on him!!
Jackie