Earnings in UK

Old May 23rd 2009, 2:49 am
Just Joined

jack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant future
Default Earnings in UK

Pls guide me on this. I have heard that in UK, hourly rate is somewhere between 6 to 7 pounds. Is is true? If yes, i have heard that people only earn 12000 annualy, it can't be, here is my calculation.

If we work 10 hours a day to meet the family expenses and for better life. It comes to 70 pound a day, monthly should be 70*26 ( only sunday off )=1820

Is it true or can we earn that much by doing general jobs like cashier, packing or other construction or clerical jobs.

I am earning the same amount where i am right now....but i am paying less tax here as comparable to UK. Just moving to UK for better life but at the same time i have to manage the family expenses and earnings.

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earnings in UK

Originally Posted by jack_1977
Pls guide me on this. I have heard that in UK, hourly rate is somewhere between 6 to 7 pounds. Is is true?
No, that's not true. The current rate of the minimum wage is £5.73 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older. (The rate goes up a little each year on 1 October.) If you earn the minimum wage, you earn just under £12,000 a year.

Employers can of course pay more than the minimum wage; that's the employer's choice.

You can't work "10 hours a day" with one employer; there are laws that forbid that sort of thing. But theoretically you could have two jobs, a day job and an evening job. However, jobs aren't so easy to find these days.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

You can't work "10 hours a day" with one employer; there are laws that forbid that sort of thing.
I have regularly worked ten hours a day, most (London) city firms ignore that sort of law. But they don't pay you for the extra!

To OP, you mention a better life, actually if you were on a minimum wage £12,000 with a family to keep, then it would be quite a hard life. Expensive country. Where are you now?
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:30 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

To OP, you mention a better life, actually if you were on a minimum wage £12,000 with a family to keep, then it would be quite a hard life. Expensive country. Where are you now?
Yeah I was just thinking that. Many people on the minimum wage have 2 jobs to make ends meet if they are having to support a family. Life is not so easy here if you are struggling to make ends meet.
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Or if both you and your partner work that's $24,000 a year, seems most couples are two income all over the world now
Old May 24th 2009, 2:33 am
Just Joined

jack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant future

Hi,

I am from Singapore and i am earning 22000 pounds annualy here and tax is also very low, i only pay 400 pound tax out of that.

Problem is was planning to move to UK for other reasons. My wife is also earning almost same, around 19000 pound annually.

I can do two jobs but other problem is that its difficult to find two jobs in today's market.

Could you tell me what kind of job people do if they are doing two jobs, i mean what kind of job do they do in evening and how much do they earn by combining the eraning of both the jobs

Thanks
Old May 24th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you tell me what kind of job people do if they are doing two jobs, i mean what kind of job do they do in evening and how much do they earn by combining the eraning of both the jobs.
Office cleaning and bar works are two types of evening job. People also have jobs working in gardening centres or DIY stores on Saturdays and Sundays.

If your day job is for 40 hours per week, you will earn just under £12,000 a year on that. If you do an evening job for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks of the year, you'll earn another £5,500 at minimum wage.

Bear in mind that for second jobs you are often just a casual employee, i.e. not a permanent employee.
Old May 24th 2009, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Pls guide me on this. I have heard that in UK, hourly rate is somewhere between 6 to 7 pounds. Is is true? If yes, i have heard that people only earn 12000 annualy, it can't be, here is my calculation.

If we work 10 hours a day to meet the family expenses and for better life. It comes to 70 pound a day, monthly should be 70*26 ( only sunday off )=1820

Is it true or can we earn that much by doing general jobs like cashier, packing or other construction or clerical jobs.

I am earning the same amount where i am right now....but i am paying less tax here as comparable to UK. Just moving to UK for better life but at the same time i have to manage the family expenses and earnings.

Thanks
Hi.

It depends exactly what you do in the U.K as to what you will earn. Like most jobs if you choose the bad shifts or a job that is outside in the winter that no one wants to do then you can often earn more money. Also remember that many companies pay the standard rate at 40 hours and then pay you extra for additional hours over the 40 hours. For example the first 40 hours at $6 per hour and then after that $ 8 per hour.

Also not sure so someone more knowledgeable will come along but will you be entitled to tax credits? Which visa will you be on?
There is no reason why you cannot earn a reasonable wage in the U.K doing unskilled work but you will undoubtedly be doing a heck of a lot of hours for it. Having said that I think the N.H.S and education system in the U.K are pretty good and in some countries that is a big minus hence the move somewhere else.

Last edited by Funky Monkey; May 24th 2009 at 1:46 pm.