Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

the dvla and importing your car

the dvla and importing your car

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Green60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the dvla and importing your car

Right now I am living in fear of the dvla. Having lived in a European border town for 16 years, I sorted out my healthcare, my driving licence, my banks, my living accomodation, my post, my taxes, my CV and job applications, and then I decided I wanted to keep my càr.
The Dvla website is appalling. After 1 week of trying to figure it out and trying to get information from garages and test centres, I find myself in danger of being fined for applying too late, and not being able to drive my car! And on top of that, I have to pay an extortionate amount for chasis insurance, while I cant even drive it! And hire a car to get about.
It has been my only problem, but to me it is a big one!
There are only few ways of brining
Why cant ferry.companies
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Default chassis insurance

Please. is there anyone out there who can give me some names of insurers who offer non—extortionate chassis insurance , especially as the car cant be driven until it is UK registered?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the dvla and importing your car

Which country is this car coming from?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Hi, it does not matter which EU country the problems are the same. I ma returning from France
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Is it right or left hand drive? What does "fined for applying too late" mean? Who would fine you and for what? A bit more information on the actual vehicle would help members point you in the right direction.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Is it right or left hand drive? What does "fined for applying too late" mean? Who would fine you and for what? A bit more information on the actual vehicle would help members point you in the right direction.
I suspect that he's brought his French plated car into the UK without declaring that he's now resident in the UK.

I can only advise that he takes it back to France and sells it there.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chassis insurance

Originally Posted by Green60
Please. is there anyone out there who can give me some names of insurers who offer non—extortionate chassis insurance , especially as the car cant be driven until it is UK registered?
Isn't it still insured in France?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

It is very simple to register the car you will need an MOT, proof of insurance and the registration document.
Mail this to the DVLA mark it attention First Registration Department.
You will be given an age related number.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 10:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Green60
Hi, it does not matter which EU country the problems are the same. I ma returning from France
"European border town" makes it sound like the car has come from Ukraine or Serbia.

If it's a French registered vehicle then you need register it with the DVLA within 14 days of permanently importing it. Since it's coming from within the EU then you need to apply for a certificate of Mutual Recognition after making the normal modifications (speedometer and headlamp conversion) from the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA).

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...al-recognition

Once you have your certificate you can then register the car with the DVLA as a UK vehicle and get GB plates for it.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...ported-vehicle

As it's second hand then you should avoid having to pay VAT on it.