Duty free on entry to LHR

Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Duty free on entry to LHR

I am returning to the UK for a longish visit fairly soon from OZ.

I have done a search here and also Google regarding purchase of duty free items (especially alcohol) on arrival at London Heathrow, but without much luck (I am a Luddite).

Simple question really, on arrival at LHR are there duty free shops where one can purchase alcohol prior to border control/customs that are....well.........duty free?

Thanks in advance for your help!

NG
Old Jul 9th 2011, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice
Default Re: Duty free on entry to LHR

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

I have done a search here and also Google regarding purchase of duty free items (especially alcohol) on arrival at London Heathrow, but without much luck (I am a Luddite).

Simple question really, on arrival at LHR are there duty free shops where one can purchase alcohol prior to border control/customs that are....well.........duty free?

NG
Hi Sir

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/shopping.html

The answer is yes you can .... although whether it's cheaper than the prices in Oz duty free I would not know!

All the best

Tahiti
Old Jul 9th 2011, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tahiti_Bound
Hi Sir

The answer is yes you can .... although whether it's cheaper than the prices in Oz duty free I would not know!

All the best

Tahiti
Hi again

Just to correct my last note - it appears that while some items are available duty free - closer examination of the description of the duty free stores available on arrival indicates that specifically liquor and tobacco is 'duty paid'.

Tahiti
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sir

All the best

Tahiti
Problem with trying to buy Duty Free in Aus en route to the UK is the limit for liquids on flights.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

Just to correct my last note - it appears that while some items are available duty free - closer examination of the description of the duty free stores available on arrival indicates that specifically liquor and tobacco is 'duty paid'.

Tahiti
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Problem with trying to buy Duty Free in Aus en route to the UK is the limit for liquids on flights.
Thanks Tahiti_Bound (cool user name by the way!) and Pollyana

I have seen the web site referred to and I must say it is not the best presented in the world wide webby thing.

Suppose I will have to find out once I arrive, but I see that whisky is considerably cheaper in the UK compared to Oz..........yummy!

K coming both your ways

Thanks again

NG
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

EnoughIsEnough is a jewel in the roughEnoughIsEnough is a jewel in the roughEnoughIsEnough is a jewel in the roughEnoughIsEnough is a jewel in the rough

There are no proper duty free shops upon arrival at Heathrow. In Terminal 3 there is a discounted shop that sells those kind of items AFTER customs and immigration, which I would imagine is required to charge VAT and any other applicable duty. Terminal 4 does not have any shops inbound and from I remember nor do Terminals 1, 2 or 5. I can't say I know any airport in the world that sells duty free on arrival, kinda defeats the purpose. Most long haul flights have duty free sales on the aircraft though.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks EnoughIsEnough, that is very helpful.

BTW NZ / Auckland does allow duty free prior to exiting the airport and I think Brisbane is the same, the egress and access points are the same.

I have decided to buy duty free at Brissie............a nice malt whisky..............and then drink it on the plane!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided to buy duty free at Brissie............a nice malt whisky..............and then drink it on the plane!
I think that's frowned upon.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

NG
Hi, we arrived via LHR last year and was impressed with the low cost of alcohol but in all honesty most of the supermarkets do great deals on alcohol as well, ie currently Tesco by two spirits for 22 pounds....not bad...I just flew in to Manchester from Singapore via Germany and the deals at duty free UK were by far cheaper.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think that's frowned upon.
Yes it is, but ho-hum!

Thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, we arrived via LHR last year and was impressed with the low cost of alcohol but in all honesty most of the supermarkets do great deals on alcohol as well, ie currently Tesco by two spirits for 22 pounds....not bad...I just flew in to Manchester from Singapore via Germany and the deals at duty free UK were by far cheaper.
Thank you, I have seen the online costs of alcohol, jolly cheap compared to OZ!

Seems I am going to have a pickled time in the UK!

Thanks for replying.

NG