Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Duel Nationality (Serious Questions)

Duel Nationality (Serious Questions)

Old Aug 11th 2019, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

WayneG is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Duel Nationality (Serious Questions)

Hello there,

First let me apologize if this is the wrong area to post this in as i honestly don't know where the proper place should be. I have a few questions, I am a full British Citizen and hold a full British passport with no restrictions. I am going to be applying for US Citizenship hopefully soon because i promised my mother who was British before she died this month due to Cancer that i would follow it through but after that i am thinking about moving back to the United Kingdom due to family problems. My concerns are after i become a US Citizen and move back to Wales, will i still have all of my UK rights such as NHS allowances etc etc? If anyone could answer this i would ever be so grateful as i truly don't know and also just to make sure, I won't need a visa correct to move back?

Thanks a lot!
Sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 1:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duel Nationality (Serious Questions)

Originally Posted by WayneG
Hello there,

First let me apologize if this is the wrong area to post this in as i honestly don't know where the proper place should be. I have a few questions, I am a full British Citizen and hold a full British passport with no restrictions. I am going to be applying for US Citizenship hopefully soon because i promised my mother who was British before she died this month due to Cancer that i would follow it through but after that i am thinking about moving back to the United Kingdom due to family problems. My concerns are after i become a US Citizen and move back to Wales, will i still have all of my UK rights such as NHS allowances etc etc? If anyone could answer this i would ever be so grateful as i truly don't know and also just to make sure, I won't need a visa correct to move back?

Thanks a lot!
Hi Wayne, welcome to BE.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your mum.

As a British citizen you don't require a visa to visit or live in the UK. You are able to use free NHS services as soon as you return to live. It would be a different story if you were just visiting from the US, as access to the NHS is based on residency not nationality.

Most other benefits are subject to an exclusion period - the attached link may assist. It's aimed at people over State pension age who are moving back to England or Wales, but the information re benefits is pretty universal for all ages. bhttps://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalasset...abroad_fcs.pdf

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 11th 2019 at 1:50 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, Thank you for the condolences. This is all very good news, thrilled to know.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Wayne, welcome to BE.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your mum.

As a British citizen you don't require a visa to visit or live in the UK. You are able to use free NHS services as soon as you return to live. It would be a different story if you were just visiting from the US, as access to the NHS is based on residency not nationality.

Most other benefits are subject to an exclusion period - the attached link may assist. It's aimed at people over State pension age who are moving back to England or Wales, but the information re benefits is pretty universal for all ages. bhttps://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalasset...abroad_fcs.pdf
Old Aug 11th 2019, 3:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, Thank you for the condolences. This is all very good news, thrilled to know.

Thank you!
You're very welcome, best of luck for a safe and happy return home.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us hold dual citizenship,
Old Aug 11th 2019, 5:32 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

Thanks a lot!
You might want to look into the aspects of being a USC when living abroad - the need to file tax returns etc.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Hi there! Yeah absolutely, I read somewhere that i might have to file US taxes as well as British Taxes which thankfully i have a cousin that specializes in taxes lol. But yes thank you for the reminder, Greatly appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
You might want to look into the aspects of being a USC when living abroad - the need to file tax returns etc.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 7:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there! Yeah absolutely, I read somewhere that i might have to file US taxes as well as British Taxes which thankfully i have a cousin that specializes in taxes lol. But yes thank you for the reminder, Greatly appreciate it!
My experience was that I didn't need to pay much tax at all in the US as the UK taxes were generally higher, however the differing tax years and the complications of US filing when one has a range of FBAR/FATCA issues around rental houses, pension assets, savings and so-on meant that it was a PITA and was costing me $1K with HRB and a hassle to do the filing for me. This was just with still having the Green Card.