Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dual US/Uk citizen financial advice

Dual US/Uk citizen financial advice

Old May 22nd 2024, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Spenser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual US/Uk citizen financial advice

Just moved back to Suffolk and was born the GB and also have US citizenship . I am retired and bought most of my money back to the Uk. Now trying to find a financial advisor but have been declined due the IRS fatca reporting requirements - can anyone give me advice on how to get investments advice - do I have to go to a international bank like HSBC or are there financial advisors who deal with the FATCA requirements ?
would appreciate any help - i am not super rich but need some guidance
Old May 22nd 2024, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual US/Uk citizen financial advice

We are also retired dual citizens who retired back to the UK. We decided to leave our investments including retirement accounts in the USA because of the difficulties you mention around FATCA and the US citizenship based taxation.

I have heard that H&L are about the only UK big brokerage to support US citizens.

https://www.hl.co.uk/financial-advice

Old May 22nd 2024, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Spenser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We are also retired dual citizens who retired back to the UK. We decided to leave our investments including retirement accounts in the USA because of the difficulties you mention around FATCA and the US citizenship based taxation.

I have heard that H&L are about the only UK big brokerage to support US citizens.

https://www.hl.co.uk/financial-advice
Thank you ! I wish I had known before moving back feel like I am in a bit of a mess now. Not really sure what to do.
Old May 22nd 2024, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Check out AJ Bell also. https://www.ajbell.co.uk/

They recently changed their position on US residents, but I think they may still service US citizens living in the UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2024, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

kph100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spenser
Thank you ! I wish I had known before moving back feel like I am in a bit of a mess now. Not really sure what to do.
If all your money and investments back in UK you could consider giving up Dual citizenship which also removes need to file a yearly USA tax return as a citizen ? Obviously if you are receiving pensions from USA that may complicate things.

Old Jun 5th 2024, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kph100
If all your money and investments back in UK you could consider giving up Dual citizenship which also removes need to file a yearly USA tax return as a citizen ? Obviously if you are receiving pensions from USA that may complicate things.
Better to wait until certain the UK is the forever home before considering this.
Old Jun 5th 2024, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

kph100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes of course. Just an option.