Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen moving back to England

Wikiposts

Dual Citizen moving back to England

Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizen moving back to England

Since you've been back and forth and have dual citizenship, I should point out a few things relating to US citizenship that will still apply even when you return to the UK.

1) You must file a tax return if your income is > $9,750 USD (converted). It is unlikely that you will owe any USA taxes on your first $90,000 of income in the UK, but you will need to file a tax return if you cross over that gross income threshold. Most accountant would recommend filing a return while overseas even if you have $0 in income.

Please note that you may also have a state income tax requirement depending on the state as some states consider your resident even if overseas. It's really complicated.

2) You will have to report all your overseas bank accounts if at any time during the year to the total in one (or a combination of them) is > $10,000. This is called an FBAR. You will have additional reporting requirements if you have more than $50-100-250k in a bank (it varies). This is called FATCA.

3) If you own more than 10% of a company or corporation overseas, you may be required to fill out a form for that (IRS 5471 I believe). It sucks.

4) You will need to register for military service / conscription with the USA Selective Service.

5) You must enter and leave the USA on your USA passport (though no one really checks when you leave). You are not to enter on your UK passport.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:56 am
Just Joined

TimFothergill is an unknown quantity at this point

My situation is kind of similar to Bridportbaby's but reversed. I was born in Scotland to an American mother and British father. I have always maintained both US and UK passports despite living in the UK. I even successfully got my Social Security card at the right time. I moved to the US in 2006, aged 33, for a job. As a US citizen I had no problems doing this. I have just recently moved to DC and have been applying for jobs with the Federal Government.

One of the things that has come up on the application forms is Selective Service. Until now I had no idea that this was a thing that existed. As a consequence I did not register while I was living in the UK. The issue is that it appears that people that have not registered with selective service are ineligible for federal employment. Registering with them is not possible after your 26th birthday.

Does anybody have any idea if being completely unaware of selective service is reason enough for not registering?

Many thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFothergill
My situation is kind of similar to Bridportbaby's but reversed. I was born in Scotland to an American mother and British father. I have always maintained both US and UK passports despite living in the UK. I even successfully got my Social Security card at the right time. I moved to the US in 2006, aged 33, for a job. As a US citizen I had no problems doing this. I have just recently moved to DC and have been applying for jobs with the Federal Government.

One of the things that has come up on the application forms is Selective Service. Until now I had no idea that this was a thing that existed. As a consequence I did not register while I was living in the UK. The issue is that it appears that people that have not registered with selective service are ineligible for federal employment. Registering with them is not possible after your 26th birthday.

Does anybody have any idea if being completely unaware of selective service is reason enough for not registering?

Many thanks
You will probably have to prove to the agency concerned that your failure to register was not wilful. The relevant agency will make this determination, not Selective Service. https://www.sss.gov/fsmen.htm
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
"Renouncing" British citizenship to a foreign official, or even handing over a British passport, have no effect under British law. Unless they went to the British Embassy to fill out forms and pay a fee to renounce British citizenship, they still have it and can apply for new passports anytime.

State Department viewpoint:
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c.../cis_1753.html
They may have told her she can't have both but what they really meant is that they only recognize one (the US one). They ignore the British one - but it doesn't mean you can't still have it.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Since you've been back and forth and have dual citizenship, I should point out a few things relating to US citizenship that will still apply even when you return to the UK.

1) You must file a tax return if your income is > $9,750 USD (converted). It is unlikely that you will owe any USA taxes on your first $90,000 of income in the UK, but you will need to file a tax return if you cross over that gross income threshold. Most accountant would recommend filing a return while overseas even if you have $0 in income.

Please note that you may also have a state income tax requirement depending on the state as some states consider your resident even if overseas. It's really complicated.

2) You will have to report all your overseas bank accounts if at any time during the year to the total in one (or a combination of them) is > $10,000. This is called an FBAR. You will have additional reporting requirements if you have more than $50-100-250k in a bank (it varies). This is called FATCA.

3) If you own more than 10% of a company or corporation overseas, you may be required to fill out a form for that (IRS 5471 I believe). It sucks.

4) You will need to register for military service / conscription with the USA Selective Service.

5) You must enter and leave the USA on your USA passport (though no one really checks when you leave). You are not to enter on your UK passport.
I am still inclined to renounce U.S citizenship. I can travel on business here using my UK passport. Who wants the US following them for the rest of their lives by delving into how much money they have in the bank so they can get their cut even if you have never even SEEN the US for 20 years.

And the state, too??? It's disgraceful.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:38 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am still inclined to renounce U.S citizenship. I can travel on business here using my UK passport. Who wants the US following them for the rest of their lives by delving into how much money they have in the bank so they can get their cut even if you have never even SEEN the US for 20 years.

And the state, too??? It's disgraceful.
Yep, the USA makes you pay for the right to that blue passport.

The usual guidance is that IF you have an American spouse (who may someday want to move back to the US) and especially if you have American children (who may ditto the previous), then it's a good idea to go through the trouble and effort of obtaining US naturalization and all the onerous duties that entails. For those who have neither, it may not be worth it.

Not all states insist on taxing overseas former citizen residents. Plus, isn't this requirement perhaps tied into maintaining the particular state's drivers licence and/or US voting address?
Old Mar 25th 2013, 4:34 am
Just Joined

TimFothergill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You will probably have to prove to the agency concerned that your failure to register was not wilful. The relevant agency will make this determination, not Selective Service. https://www.sss.gov/fsmen.htm
Thanks for the response. The only challenge now is to get the HR department of wherever I am applying to listen. Seems that at the moment they're mostly just looking for reasons to discard applications and something like this will probably be seen as a hassle they'd rather not bother with.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFothergill
Thanks for the response. The only challenge now is to get the HR department of wherever I am applying to listen. Seems that at the moment they're mostly just looking for reasons to discard applications and something like this will probably be seen as a hassle they'd rather not bother with.
You need to follow up with the agency concerned, as far as I am aware (and based on what's on Selective Service website). There may (or may not) be an appeals process. Unfortunately - failure to register for Selective Service is a problem and one that cannot easily be rectified after 26th birthday.

Presumably, you have received confirmation from Selective Service that you were not registered.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I took the US citizenship test last year. All I had to do was hand in my green card at the ceremony.