Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen moving back to England

Wikiposts

Dual Citizen moving back to England

Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:58 am
Just Joined

BridportBaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dual Citizen moving back to England

Hi All, I am new to this forum and tried searching for a thread that maybe had my same question, but gosh there are a lot of threads and none jumped out, so sorry if this is an oft-asked query:
I was born in England to an English mother and American father. I've held both US and English passports, and currently have a US passport. I lived in England for a bit at 19 (had a job, NHS, I think I even got benefits because I didn't make much salary, but it's been 20 years so it's a bit fuzzy).
So my general question is, does anyone know if I can just move back to England, or do I need to request some kind of visa? I'm hoping to move around December 2013, so I have some time if I need to apply for anything, but I'm kind of hoping it's not too complex. (Oh, I've never registered to vote in either country - for some reason I've always thought voting meant renouncing the "other" country, but that may be wrong).

Thanks for any replies!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizen moving back to England

Just get a UK passport and move to the UK - nothing else needed. Registering to vote is fine to do, and actually could be important as in the UK when credit checks are made, they often look up to see if you're on the electoral roll (this can include when opening a bank account).
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:08 am
Just Joined

BridportBaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks SO much roaringmouse!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:38 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with roaringmouse..it's by far easier just to use a UK passport. Although from what I've just been told by a friend who has kids in the same situation (Born in the UK to UK mother and US father), technically you're not supposed to hold both a UK AND a US passport because you renounce your British citizenship in order to become a US citizen and get a US passport. But I'm pretty sure someone will tell me something different

Of course these rules could have changed recently, because my friends daughter had to renounce her citizenship in order to become a US citizen. At the time they didn't like dual citizens.

Last edited by WhoFan63; Mar 9th 2013 at 10:43 am.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Rules have changed Whofan my Mother in law had to choose at 18 which one she wanted to keep, but now they don't care if you have dual nationality. UK says your British and US says your American and they agree to disagree.
Just make sure to enter and leave US on your US passport and when you get to UK you enter on your UK passport.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:59 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Rules have changed Whofan my Mother in law had to choose at 18 which one she wanted to keep, but now they don't care if you have dual nationality. UK says your British and US says your American and they agree to disagree.
Just make sure to enter and leave US on your US passport and when you get to UK you enter on your UK passport.
Thanks Mummy ! It was only in 2008 when my friends daughter had to renounce her UK citizenship because they told her she couldn't have both. I guess she just had a citizenship official who hates the British..lol Plus a woman I used to work with told me in 2002 when she became a citizen she was told to hand over her UK passport. So sometimes it's hard to know what is right ! LOL

Last edited by WhoFan63; Mar 9th 2013 at 11:02 am.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:38 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Thanks Mummy ! It was only in 2008 when my friends daughter had to renounce her UK citizenship because they told her she couldn't have both. I guess she just had a citizenship official who hates the British..lol Plus a woman I used to work with told me in 2002 when she became a citizen she was told to hand over her UK passport. So sometimes it's hard to know what is right ! LOL
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html State Dept says its fine.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Just get a UK passport and move to the UK - nothing else needed. Registering to vote is fine to do, and actually could be important as in the UK when credit checks are made, they often look up to see if you're on the electoral roll (this can include when opening a bank account).
Can you register while still overseas and vote absentee?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That official was out of line I got my US citizenship before then and so did my Dh neither of us had to renounce anything. Do you mean in the swearing in ceremony? I think that when you say the oath you have to say something like renounce all allegiances or some such thing. That doesn't mean she lost her UK citizenship she's a dual national unless she actually went through the official process with the UK government, I think some high clearance security jobs with the US government do require that you officially renounce.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That official was out of line I got my US citizenship before then and so did my Dh neither of us had to renounce anything. Do you mean in the swearing in ceremony? I think that when you say the oath you have to say something like renounce all allegiances or some such thing. That doesn't mean she lost her UK citizenship she's a dual national unless she actually went through the official process with the UK government, I think some high clearance security jobs with the US government do require that you officially renounce.
Ditto. Got my US in 2003. Never gave up my British.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It was only in 2008 when my friends daughter had to renounce her UK citizenship because they told her she couldn't have both. I guess she just had a citizenship official who hates the British..lol Plus a woman I used to work with told me in 2002 when she became a citizen she was told to hand over her UK passport. So sometimes it's hard to know what is right !
"Renouncing" British citizenship to a foreign official, or even handing over a British passport, have no effect under British law. Unless they went to the British Embassy to fill out forms and pay a fee to renounce British citizenship, they still have it and can apply for new passports anytime.

State Department viewpoint:
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c.../cis_1753.html
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Can you register while still overseas and vote absentee?
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/faq/overseas_voters.aspx
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:57 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by JAJ
"Renouncing" British citizenship to a foreign official, or even handing over a British passport, have no effect under British law. Unless they went to the British Embassy to fill out forms and pay a fee to renounce British citizenship, they still have it and can apply for new passports anytime.

State Department viewpoint:
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c.../cis_1753.html
Thanks JAJ I showed all the posts to my friend and he said as far as she knew she hadn't filled out any forms or paid any money...so he's probably just been thinking of the citizenship ceremony where they say something to the effect of ' I renounce my allegiance...etc etc '. Not exact words, but something like that.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:04 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

...Although from what I've just been told by a friend who has kids in the same situation (Born in the UK to UK mother and US father), technically you're not supposed to hold both a UK AND a US passport because you renounce your British citizenship in order to become a US citizen and get a US passport. But I'm pretty sure someone will tell me something different
This hasn't been true for a very long time. In fact, maybe it was never true, but perhaps some folks thought it was long ago. I have relatives with dual (UK/US) and triple citizenships (UK/US/Canadian). No problems. My husband & I are duals, as well as our child. It depends upon the specific country whether multiple citizenships are allowed or not, so you have to check with official sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
This link says it all. I'm also a British/U.S. dual, and researched this with USCIS in detail. It all depends how you acquired British (or any other nationality's) citizenship, according to the State Department.

If you were automatically granted another country's citizenship through no effort of your own (birth, blood, family, marriage), the U.S. accepts your dual nationality.

If you initiated the action by applying for another country's citizenship, that is technically not allowed and not acceptable. However, the U.S. will probably not bother you in this case unless you point it out or it's an issue for some other reason. But it's important to understand the difference.

Last edited by Richard8655; Mar 10th 2013 at 5:27 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.