Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Driving License problem on moving back to UK

Driving License problem on moving back to UK

Old Apr 30th 2019, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

tuanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License problem on moving back to UK

I am shortly moving back to UK after 10 years abroad. I hold a valid UK Driving License which had my last UK address (my son's) before leaving for overseas. I understand that I will need to provide a permanent address in UK to legally drive in UK but will not be able to do this because I haven't decided which part of the country I want to live and will be living in hotels/Abnb type accommodation for some months. Can anyone advise if there is any way I can legitimately drive by renting or buying a car ? I can't apparently can't get car insurance without a permanent address either.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License problem on moving back to UK

Does your son still live at that address?
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Renting a car on your overseas license isn’t a problem 😊 just like a loooooong holiday!
Old Apr 30th 2019, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Does your son still live at that address?
Yes but its not my permanent address is it.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zoexr View Post
Renting a car on your overseas license isn’t a problem 😊 just like a loooooong holiday!
Its not an overseas license its a UK license. If I had an overseas license (Malaysian in my case) there wouldnt be a problem.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tuanton View Post
I also might just add that I am not staying at his address when I return.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 10:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I also might just add that I am not staying at his address when I return.
Since you’ll be living in temporary accommodation on your return then it’s the only permanent address you’ll have until you sign a tenancy elsewhere.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Since you’ll be living in temporary accommodation on your return then it’s the only permanent address you’ll have until you sign a tenancy elsewhere.
Thanks for your thoughts on that..... I would like to think the DVLA accept that logic. Be interesting if others reading this thread might offer an opinion here.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 1:10 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your thoughts on that..... I would like to think the DVLA accept that logic. Be interesting if others reading this thread might offer an opinion here.
Sounds perfectly logical to me.I have a friend in the UK who travels for work a lot and sends 11 months of the year in temporary accommodation in various places. She uses her mum's address as her permanent address as it is the only fixed ace she has, even thugh she is rarely there. And yes, her mum's address is the one on her driving licence.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 2:10 pm
Lt (R)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The DVLA is pretty much going to accept what you tell them is your address - they don't have a team of sleuths checking out every address they are given. So long as it is an address that you have access to and can receive mail at, it will work for the DVLA.

Hypothetically if you rented a room at a hotel for a couple of months and put the street address of the hotel, and Apt No …. and the room, the DVLA would use that address, after all, it is your business, not the DVLA's, if you want to live in a hotel.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pollyana and Pulaski your contributions are very much appreciated. Thanks to all who contributed, I feel much more re-assured.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 2:39 pm
Lt (R)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana and Pulaski your contributions are very much appreciated.
Ur welcome.