Driving licence

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

stu1972hamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving licence

British citizen returning to U.K after 10yrs in Canada ..
Do they make u do a driving test or do u get your driving license back ???
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

chasingsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving licence

Originally Posted by stu1972hamilton
I emailed dvla with the same question. Apparently we get the original back. Theres a special form to fill out...
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

you have previously held a GB licence and exchanged it for a Canadian licence, then you can apply provided you are resident in GB currently.
You will need to return your current licence when you apply. If this has been lost/stolen or expired you will need to note this on the form.

How to apply
You’ll need to complete an application form.

Use a D1 form for cars or motorbikes, or D2 for lorries and buses. These can be ordered here. Alternatively, you can get one from selected Post Offices® that offer driving licence transactions.

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 9:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu1972hamilton
You get your licence reissued as UK licences are issued until your 70th birthday, and if it became invalid because you left the UK you just need to apply to get it reissued.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office. You need to tick the box to exchange and ensure you write your GB driving licence number in the box provided. The latter is vital in order for your original GB entitlements to correctly appear on your new licence. If you don’t have a record of it then you can ring the DVLA to find out. You’ll need to include your Canadian licence which will be retained. The whole process is free of charge.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office. You need to tick the box to exchange and ensure you write your GB driving licence number in the box provided. The latter is vital in order for your original GB entitlements to correctly appear on your new licence. If you don’t have a record of it then you can ring the DVLA to find out. You’ll need to include your Canadian licence which will be retained. The whole process is free of charge.
There is a question in the form: What date did you come to live in the UK?
Is it the date you return from overseas?
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 8:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inggris
There is a question in the form: What date did you come to live in the UK?
Is it the date you return from overseas?
If you were born in the UK then I would write your birth date.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

I was advised that you need to be in the UK for at least 6 months before DVLA will give you your UK licence back. My work fleet services advised that you can drive on Canadian licence for 12 months after you arrive.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
I was advised that you need to be in the UK for at least 6 months before DVLA will give you your UK licence back. My work fleet services advised that you can drive on Canadian licence for 12 months after you arrive.
Common misconception. You can apply as soon as you arrive back.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

I was planning on applying for mine straight away, once I find my licence number out.. it's another form.of Identifucation in hand...
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

interesting. When I looked on the DVLA website, the first question is:

Are you a resident of Great Britain?

You’re normally a resident if you have a permanent address in Great Britain that you’ve lived in for at least 185 days.

If I answer no (as I haven’t been resident in the UK for 185+ days, it says I have to wait? How do you get round this?
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
interesting. When I looked on the DVLA website, the first question is:

Are you a resident of Great Britain?

You’re normally a resident if you have a permanent address in Great Britain that you’ve lived in for at least 185 days.

If I answer no (as I haven’t been resident in the UK for 185+ days, it says I have to wait? How do you get round this?
The question is: “Are you a resident of Great Britain?” If the answer is “Yes” then that’s what you answer. The six months explanation is to stop non-residents, e.g. tourists, trying to exchange their licences.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

The question is: “Are you a resident of Great Britain?” If the answer is “Yes” then that’s what you answer. The six months explanation is to stop non-residents, e.g. tourists, trying to exchange their licences.
I agree.

When we we moved back in 2016 after 29 years out of the country we had to apply for a current licence as soon as we arrived back into a rented house and since we had arrived back with the intent to stay we were immediately counted as resident for tax purposes on the day we landed.