Reload this Page >

Drivers license- issue date- Ontario

Drivers license- issue date- Ontario

Old Jan 7th 2020, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drivers license- issue date- Ontario

Hi!
ive recently moved back to the U.K from Ontario. I passed my drivers test in the U.K. in 2003. Moved to Ontario in 2009. Swapped my license in 2010. Now I’m in the process of swapping it back to a U.K. license.

for those of you who have swapped it back from Ontario, were you given your original UK issue date? I’m worried because all Ontario licenses expire every five years, so mine was last issued in 2018 and now I’m worried that the DVLA will issue my U.K. one with an issue date of 2018 and not 2003? I’m hoping they’ll see the issue date of 2003 and go with that. As otherwise 15 years of my history would have been wiped.

Just curious as to others experience.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drivers license- issue date- Ontario

When I swapped my license it has the original date on it. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Ok great. Thanks for the reply!
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:09 am
Just Joined

geoeng is an unknown quantity at this point

I had not previously had a UK driving licence prior to exchanging my Ontario licence but I did have this issue where DVLA used the last issue date of my Ontario licence rather than it's original issue. As it was a mistake for them to do this, they did "correct" it after I alerted them of how the licencing system works in Ontario. After providing a driving history in Ontario I now have a UK licence with an issue date of when I first obtained a G1 licence in Ontario, which is at a younger age than I could have obtained a full UK licence, and I am a bit surprised by the lack of understanding of international licencing at a government department that deals with the exchange of such licences. Anyway, hopefully you won't have any issues with a previously issued UK licence but any mistakes are relatively easy to have corrected.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had not previously had a UK driving licence prior to exchanging my Ontario licence but I did have this issue where DVLA used the last issue date of my Ontario licence rather than it's original issue. As it was a mistake for them to do this, they did "correct" it after I alerted them of how the licencing system works in Ontario. After providing a driving history in Ontario I now have a UK licence with an issue date of when I first obtained a G1 licence in Ontario, which is at a younger age than I could have obtained a full UK licence, and I am a bit surprised by the lack of understanding of international licencing at a government department that deals with the exchange of such licences. Anyway, hopefully you won't have any issues with a previously issued UK licence but any mistakes are relatively easy to have corrected.

Can you drive a manual or just a automatic?
Old Jan 8th 2020, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Honey246
Can you drive a manual or just a automatic?
Automatic only. My understanding is this restriction is added unless you can prove you did a driving test in a manual vehicle, which I don't believe is something that is recorded in Ontario.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geoeng
ok that’s good to know, maybe it’ll be different because I passed here. My husband, who is canadian might have that issue though. So I’ll get him to get a drivers abstract done. Is that what you had to provide for your history?
That is crazy that they have no understanding of how it works! Especially when you don’t want all that history to be wiped.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zoec
ok that’s good to know, maybe it’ll be different because I passed here. My husband, who is canadian might have that issue though. So I’ll get him to get a drivers abstract done. Is that what you had to provide for your history?
That is crazy that they have no understanding of how it works! Especially when you don’t want all that history to be wiped.
Yes, just got a drivers abstract, which also indicated the date the first licence was issued. It depends who reviews your application though as it seems some of them are slightly knowledgeable about foreign graduated licencing processes as my partner, who tried to do the same thing as me, initially was asked for more information about the date a full licence was issued, but then just sent the same application to a different address (literally a different post code in the same building I think) and had a full licence issued with no questions asked.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 6:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by geoeng
Automatic only. My understanding is this restriction is added unless you can prove you did a driving test in a manual vehicle, which I don't believe is something that is recorded in Ontario.
1. In BC Automatic only shows up as restriction 28 on the license.