Drivers license issue

Old Nov 24th 2021, 12:41 am
Just Joined

AmazingBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drivers license issue

Hey,

So I got my drivers license in July 2017 and moved to Canada in October 2017. When I went to get a Canadian license, they took my UK license. I moved back to the UK in November 2021. Can I get my UK license back?

Hel would be appreciated.
thanks.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 12:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers license issue

Yes you can. Did you make a copy of it?

Take a read through this thread…

drivers license

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 24th 2021 at 1:01 am. Reason: Post link
Old Nov 24th 2021, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes you can. Did you make a copy of it?

Take a read through this thread…

drivers license

Interesting. So all I have to do is ask to renew it? Will they take my Canadian license? I might be heading back there in the spring.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 1:34 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmazingBlue
Interesting. So all I have to do is ask to renew it? Will they take my Canadian license? I might be heading back there in the spring.
Probably. I'm unaware of any country that allows you to hold their licence as a non-resident.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Probably. I'm unaware of any country that allows you to hold their licence as a non-resident.
Well I definitely don’t want that. But if they do take it and I head back to Toronto, get a license there, would it be a full Canadian license? Bastards gave me a weird temporary license last time.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 2:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well I definitely don’t want that. But if they do take it and I head back to Toronto, get a license there, would it be a full Canadian license? Bastards gave me a weird temporary license last time.
Then you would have to hand in your UK DL to the Canadian authorities.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 3:48 am
Just Joined

Then you would have to hand in your UK DL to the Canadian authorities.
oh I knew that much. But at that point it would be fine. I just want to know if I’d get the full Canadian license or that temp license they gave me last time
Old Nov 24th 2021, 7:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

oh I knew that much. But at that point it would be fine. I just want to know if I’d get the full Canadian license or that temp license they gave me last time
Sounds like you were given a G1/G2 licence because you didn't have enough driving experience in the UK to swap for a full one? You could have upgraded that to a full one anytime by doing the test.

But no, you won't get a full one if you're still not got the 2 years driving experience in the UK.

HTH.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I don’t understand. You are back in the UK and wish to exchange your Can. DL for a UK DL. Then next spring you are heading back to Canada, then you wish to exchange your UK DL for a Can. DL…is that correct? If so why don’t you just drive using your Can. DL while you are in the UK?
Old Nov 24th 2021, 11:46 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t understand. You are back in the UK and wish to exchange your Can. DL for a UK DL. Then next spring you are heading back to Canada, then you wish to exchange your UK DL for a Can. DL…is that correct? If so why don’t you just drive using your Can. DL while you are in the UK?
If the OP is driving on a temp license in Canada, it's likely it's a G1 or G2 licence,which isn't a full licence for UK purposes. So they'd be unable to legally drive in the UK on that license.

They previously had a full UK licence but hadn't held it long enough to get a full G licence in Canada, and reapplying for the UK one would be essential to drive in the UK.

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/cana...nce-in-uk.html

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Nov 24th 2021 at 12:29 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
If the OP is driving on a temp license in Canada, it's likely it's a G1 or G2 licence,which isn't a full licence for UK purposes. So they'd be unable to legally drive in the UK on that license.

They previously had a full UK licence but hadn't held it long enough to get a full G licence in Canada, and reapply for the UK one would be essential to drive in the UK.

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/cana...nce-in-uk.html
I see. Thank you. I will go back to sleep now.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sounds like you were given a G1/G2 licence because you didn't have enough driving experience in the UK to swap for a full one? You could have upgraded that to a full one anytime by doing the test.

But no, you won't get a full one if you're still not got the 2 years driving experience in the UK.

HTH.

Damn……Yeah, I have a G2 license. At the time I traded it in they only asked for 6 months UK experience. I had 4.
Old Nov 24th 2021, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Damn……Yeah, I have a G2 license. At the time I traded it in they only asked for 6 months UK experience. I had 4.
Ah. 2 years now I'm afraid. https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...rivers-licence