Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Don't use transglobal express for shipping personal items

Don't use transglobal express for shipping personal items

Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't use transglobal express for shipping personal items

I shipped some boxes, nothing large, to my son as he has moved back to the UK permanently. He is a UK citizen

Basically they are not aware of the new regulations about shipping personal belongings to the UK and the new TOR regulations. There is no information on their site and when I complained about this, I was told contact the embassy in the US as they couldn't be conversant with all custom regulations (this being the most important one). They ship via different companies and I went with UPS. On the page that Transglobal directed me to there was no mention of the new regulation, all it said was UK Citizens are exempt from VAT.

I did call UPS when I saw the shipment was delayed and was given a number by the agent that my son could call. On a subsequent call when I said I downloaded all the forms I was given at the time of shipment, I was told I should have gone to the UPS store where the correct information would have been given. I pointed out that if they know that not all the information is on their website, why offer a pick up your shipment service?
It should be noted that I did not receive any calls or information from either
companies while the shipment was delayed. Neither did my son. If I hadn't chased it up, it will probably still be sitting in a warehouse waiting for the clearing agency.

To top it off, my son got a TOR # very quickly as required but they refused to use the TOR # before delivering the shipment. As they delivered the shipment before a payment was made (they stated it could not be delivered until payment was made) we assumed the TOR # had be applied, given all the misinformation we received. Yesterday we received an invoice As consequence we are now have an invoice for over 600 GBP which we will have to reclaim from HMRC.