Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Don't even know where to begin....

Wikiposts

Don't even know where to begin....

Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't even know where to begin....

I think there were links to incapacity benefits etc in Beths posts. Or maybe she'll come by and link to to them.
Or did the poster with the princess name? make a sticky of things you may need to know.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:02 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lentil_curry
I am moving back to the UK after being in the USA 19 years. I never took a citizenship here, so am a True Brit through and through.
PLEASE get your citizenship. If your kids are USCs who remain here long-term, you may need it to visit them. ONLY USCs are guaranteed entry to the US.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving back to the UK after being in the USA 19 years. I never took a citizenship here, so am a True Brit through and through. (Will be moving in with a British other half..renting from my brother)

My ex is a US citizen and will be paying me alimony, in return I will pay child support - I also am on disability and get a US SSDI allowance. Anyone got a clue on taxes etc; who I pay and where?? Do I apply for benefits in the UK?

The brain has just about had more than it can take

Where do I start??????
You might start by reading this thread ... all of the way to the very end.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581463
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I never took a citizenship here, so am a True Brit through and through.
You have kids remaining here -- you need to take citizenship before you leave!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

lentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You have kids remaining here -- you need to take citizenship before you leave!
Tbh - having just gone through the most horrendous divorce, I just didn't even have the energy to look into it so much.... I'm totally fried, and he's totally uncooperative.

Regarding SSDI in the UK - there is a reciprocal agreement which means I can still claim there, based on what I get here. Also the plus side is that alimony is non-taxable in the UK - my lawyer just checked into it - also when I get remarried, alimony stops, but child support is based on bio parent only, so my income will be next to nothing......

Now I have a 17 yr old who is telling me she isn't sure she wants to live with dad anymore - and I've only been out of the house a few weeks. She's telling me he's a screaming lunatic (ya think??????) and now maybe she wants to live with me.

Back to court!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:42 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You really, really need to get your citizenship before leaving.

I too have been through an ugly divorce and I know what you mean about being exhausted, but this is too important not to do.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

lentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant future

Excuse me for being ignorant on this, but I am trying to figure out the benefits - and the downside.......
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh - having just gone through the most horrendous divorce, I just didn't even have the energy to look into it so much.... I'm totally fried, and he's totally uncooperative.

Regarding SSDI in the UK - there is a reciprocal agreement which means I can still claim there, based on what I get here. Also the plus side is that alimony is non-taxable in the UK - my lawyer just checked into it - also when I get remarried, alimony stops, but child support is based on bio parent only, so my income will be next to nothing......

Now I have a 17 yr old who is telling me she isn't sure she wants to live with dad anymore - and I've only been out of the house a few weeks. She's telling me he's a screaming lunatic (ya think??????) and now maybe she wants to live with me.

Back to court!!!!
Excuse me for being ignorant on this, but I am trying to figure out the benefits - and the downside.......
There's a few thoughts here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

But the main one for your circumstances is not there: your kids are here but without taking citizenship you don't have the right to even visit them.

Are all your children US citizens?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

kids were born here, so yes....
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:37 am
Septicity

kids were born here, so yes....
So that's okay.

You should also investigate the effect US citizenship has on your eligibility for social security payments while living abroad, and particularly SSDI if you're claiming it. I think payment may continue provided you are a citizen.