Wikiposts

dogs in quarantine

Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:53 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: dogs in quarantine

Originally Posted by Catgirl
I have always had a problem with understanding the whole 6 month after the blood test wait, resulting in quarantine in the UK (USA and many other countries don't require that) but making poor animals prisoners is just not right.
have you seen an animal with rabies? i have and it's not nice so whatever it takes to prevent that in the UK then so be it. i am a huge animal lover and like you hate to think of pets in quarantine but we do have a choice to avoid that (if time permits).

i will be bringing our two cats back to the uk next year and have kept their rabies shots up since we moved here 6 yrs ago so no quarantine for them thank goodness.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TruBrit
have you seen an animal with rabies? i have and it's not nice so whatever it takes to prevent that in the UK then so be it. i am a huge animal lover and like you hate to think of pets in quarantine but we do have a choice to avoid that (if time permits).

i will be bringing our two cats back to the uk next year and have kept their rabies shots up since we moved here 6 yrs ago so no quarantine for them thank goodness.
From Health Protection Agency.....

"In 2003 it was recognised that UK bats may carry a rabies-like virus, European Bat Lyssavirus 2 (EBL2). A man who was a bat handler died from EBL2 infection probably acquired in Scotland".

Bats can fly in and out of the country without being quarantined for 6 months

Am I right to assume that USA has more advanced ways of testing for rabies therefore they don't require the 6 month wait after the blood test?

I agree with you, TrueBrit we don't want rabies in the country but quarantine is so cruel to the animals, they should definitely have some kind of exercise instead of being locked for 6 months.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:46 am
Account Closed

From Health Protection Agency.....

"In 2003 it was recognised that UK bats may carry a rabies-like virus, European Bat Lyssavirus 2 (EBL2). A man who was a bat handler died from EBL2 infection probably acquired in Scotland".

Bats can fly in and out of the country without being quarantined for 6 months

Am I right to assume that USA has more advanced ways of testing for rabies therefore they don't require the 6 month wait after the blood test?

I agree with you, TrueBrit we don't want rabies in the country but quarantine is so cruel to the animals, they should definitely have some kind of exercise instead of being locked for 6 months.
they already have rabies here in the usa and so do not require the 6mth quarantine period. bats fly and therefore impossible to enforce rabies regulations.

it is somewhat cruel but for their own good. i don't know you or your circumstances but i know quite a few peeps that have stayed behind with their pets while their OH's have returned to Blighty to avoid the quarantine regulations and that's something i would do, i couldn't bare to have them in quarantine. it's not much comfort i know but at least you know yours is safe and just waiting for the new year to be reunited with you
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

they already have rabies here in the usa and so do not require the 6mth quarantine period. bats fly and therefore impossible to enforce rabies regulations.

it is somewhat cruel but for their own good. i don't know you or your circumstances but i know quite a few peeps that have stayed behind with their pets while their OH's have returned to Blighty to avoid the quarantine regulations and that's something i would do, i couldn't bare to have them in quarantine. it's not much comfort i know but at least you know yours is safe and just waiting for the new year to be reunited with you
Another program I've heard of is in-home fostering of dogs in France. French dog-lovers take your dogs into their home until the 6 months is up (for PETS scheme, I mean), and then they are shipped to the UK.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:28 am
Just Joined

pfmckinley is an unknown quantity at this point

It is tough and the options are relatively limited. for us time was not a luxury we had as my mother became critically ill and we had to move back to the uk for her health. we did contemplate leaving the boys with a family in australia for the 6 months and even looked in the foster scheme in france but ultimately decided it was better to be able to visit them and keep a keen eye on them in quarantine here than leave them with anyone else.

i have to say i agree with catgirl. sure quarantine is important but 6 months is excessive. in fact the government are currently looking to reduce it. australia has one of the strictest quarantine laws in the world and they only require them to be kept for a month.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

We are in first stages of moving our dog back to UK.

Has anyone heard of LadyHaye kennels in Surrey? We have just applied for a quote, and am going to ask a friend to visit them to see what they are like, but would be nice if someone has used them and could gve us some feedback.

Unfortunately Molly has just had her rabies jab last week, so she will more or less go into kennels for 5 months, but hopefully if we use these, she will only be 40 mins drive away from where we hope to base ourselves again.

Does anyone know if the 6 months quarantine starts from the rabies jab, or the subsequent blood test she is having done in a couple of weeks?

We have got a quote from dogtainers, and will use them because we used them to fly Molly from Sydney to Brisbane when we came to Aus, so it is nice to read that others have found them good to use to fly back to UK, thanks.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:14 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=goingozwards2007;5375848]
Has anyone heard of LadyHaye kennels in Surrey? QUOTE]

we used ladyhaye when we shipped out two cats to the usa 6 yrs ago and they were great. i also know some peeps that have boarded their dogs. the company is very professional imo. we have a place in surrey and i have heard lots of local people use them over the years....good luck
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by goingozwards2007
We are in first stages of moving our dog back to UK.

Has anyone heard of LadyHaye kennels in Surrey? We have just applied for a quote, and am going to ask a friend to visit them to see what they are like, but would be nice if someone has used them and could gve us some feedback.

Unfortunately Molly has just had her rabies jab last week, so she will more or less go into kennels for 5 months, but hopefully if we use these, she will only be 40 mins drive away from where we hope to base ourselves again.

Does anyone know if the 6 months quarantine starts from the rabies jab, or the subsequent blood test she is having done in a couple of weeks?

We have got a quote from dogtainers, and will use them because we used them to fly Molly from Sydney to Brisbane when we came to Aus, so it is nice to read that others have found them good to use to fly back to UK, thanks.
The 6 months start from the day of the blood test result.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Hey maybe I am ignorant, but if u have your dog and cat injected with the rabies vaccine on arrival in New Zealand, they can fly home without any quarantine, 6 months later. I had 2 dogs and one cat flown to NZ, and back again 18 months later with NO quaratine either way. They flew on the same flight with us both ways
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:32 am
Account Closed

The 6 months start from the day of the blood test result.
if you contact defra i think you will find the 6 mths begins from the day the blood is drawn which is good news for you as you should get your pets back a few days earlier than expected!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Hey maybe I am ignorant, but if u have your dog and cat injected with the rabies vaccine on arrival in New Zealand, they can fly home without any quarantine, 6 months later. I had 2 dogs and one cat flown to NZ, and back again 18 months later with NO quaratine either way. They flew on the same flight with us both ways
that may be helpful to some folks on here!