Wikiposts

dogs in quarantine

Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

pfmckinley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dogs in quarantine

hi, we are moving back to the uk in under 2 weeks (yay!)

unfortunately, as it wasn't a completely planned move, our dogs (babies) will have to go into quarantine for..... 21 weeks! i am gutted. completely.

we decided to pay extra and have the quarantined in the uk so we can at least visit them, but i am teary just thinking about it already. and worried about how they will cope (they are real home bodies who love their cuddles and twice daily walks - so to go from that to nothing.....)

i was hoping there may be others here who have some experience of this and can give me any tips or advice to make it easier for them... and for me.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: dogs in quarantine

Originally Posted by pfmckinley

unfortunately, as it wasn't a completely planned move, our dogs (babies) will have to go into quarantine for..... 21 weeks! i am gutted. completely.

we decided to pay extra and have the quarantined in the uk so we can at least visit them, but i am teary just thinking about it already. and worried about how they will cope (they are real home bodies who love their cuddles and twice daily walks - so to go from that to nothing.....)

i was hoping there may be others here who have some experience of this and can give me any tips or advice to make it easier for them... and for me.
Hi pfmckinley,

Getting my dog vacinated against rabies was the first thing I did upon arrival in NZ. I only discoved that she would not be able to return to the UK without having to be in quarantine for 6 months without the vacination from someone who was moving back. Why is it that there is no Rabies in NZ or UK yet you still have to have your dog vacinated? - A money making scheme, me thinks! It cost me $450 and I now do not wish to return - but at least she will be covered, if I do change my mind!!!

They do say that dogs not not have a very good 'time span' memory. So your babies may not even realise how long it will be.

Liz & Co
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Suzy did 6 months in quarantine the first time we came back. She actually did just fine, I think it was harder for me than her.

Couple of tips: Either visit your dog regularly or not at all (I visited Suzy every Saturday). I read that if you visit very sporadically, it can be confusing for the dog. The other is not to get too worked up during your visit. I used to just sit with her for an hour (I couldn't take her into a play area) - basically, we'd just "hang out" together. Suzy isn't a big play-dog anyway (she's a Labrador non-Retriever, for example )

Dogs are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

thanks. the note about suzy was particularly comforting.

yeah we plan to visit them every saturday too. much like with suzy, we won't be able to take cujo and jake into a play area but, being small dogs hopefully we can roll a ball around the 'run' for them, to give them a little exercise!

i agree it will probably be A LOT harder for us than them - but i would rather that... i will definitely have to try and not get too worked up when i see them... make it a happy time rather than sad... thanks.

any more tips and ideas gratefully received.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Most approved Quarantine stations are actually local Kennels, so it's not as formal as it first seems.

Dogs are very resilient and very adaptable, more than we think.

Look upon it as your dog will be having a well earned holiday from the long flight he just endured and he will be relaxing around or nearby to other dogs which will probably be of great comfort (being pack animals)

Don't worry, don't feel guilty about it, he'll be fine. Also try not to get upset when you visit, as dogs pick up on anxiety, which can cause him to behave in a manner which is not usually him !

(Do you think he feels guilt when he's been naughty ? )

Good luck and don't worry
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:57 pm
lhc
Just Joined

lhc has a brilliant futurelhc has a brilliant futurelhc has a brilliant futurelhc has a brilliant futurelhc has a brilliant futurelhc has a brilliant future

We may be the same could you let me know how much it will cost for for one dog?

LC
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

hi there, unfortunately i don't know how much one dog would cost, but for us it cost about $400 per dog for the shots and blood tests; and then $2775 to transport them. quarantine in the uk does seem to be more expensive and it's costing us about £250 per month, and with some further miscellaneous costs, it comes to just under £3000 for the 21 weeks they have to spend in doggy prison... but that is for both dogs. hope that helps.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:19 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if or how long a dog has to do quarantine for if they HAVE the rabies vac's in Oz annualy and then want to go back to the UK??
Do they have to do ANY quarantine if they've had annual rabies vaccinations in Australia??

*pearly*
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:21 am
Just Joined

hi pearly, i believe if your dog has an annual booster, there should be no need for quarantine in the uk, and it can be admitted under the PET passport scheme. do check with DEFRA, they are pretty helpful, but hopefully so long as your rabies vaccination is current, your dog should be okay!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

hi pearly, i believe if your dog has an annual booster, there should be no need for quarantine in the uk, and it can be admitted under the PET passport scheme. do check with DEFRA, they are pretty helpful, but hopefully so long as your rabies vaccination is current, your dog should be okay!
That's as long as the dog is chipped and the chip number is on the rabies cert, and a positive titer has been obtained at least 6 months prior to you wanting to bring the dog into the UK, as far as I know. You can't bring a dog in quarantine-free just because it has always had rabies shots.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light

I am getting through my dog being in quarrantine by pretending it she is a horse in stables! This probably makes no sense to anyone but me but makes me feel better.
We have been lucky and found a quarrantine place which is actually only 15 min drive away so we can get down to see our dog a few times a week. It is a small farm and not at all like Australian quarrantine although a lot more expensive.
I would say try not to think about it too much. Sometimes because we love our dogs so much we put human feelings on to them and really stress out with guilt about them which helps no-one. Emigrating is stressful enough, moving back even more stressful.
It is one months out of your dog's very happy long life and will soon just be a distant memory.
Good luck with everything.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's as long as the dog is chipped and the chip number is on the rabies cert, and a positive titer has been obtained at least 6 months prior to you wanting to bring the dog into the UK, as far as I know. You can't bring a dog in quarantine-free just because it has always had rabies shots.

Yes I agree, if u want to return or think u may want to return when u go abroad, u need to ge the rabies injections done as soon as possible in aussie or new zealand. Then u need to get the blood tests done to prove the vaccine is stil in the system. They have to be microchipped but that has to be done before u leave the uk. Once u have the blood test results, u have to have the pets in the country for 6 months. If you do all these then quarantine is not necessary at all. i am flying my dog and cat back to the uk in 4 weeks time. It is costing me 7,700 dollars for a labrador dog and one moggie to fly them home.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:49 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

( my dog is already chipped by the way ) So, if we plan to go back home to the UK in say 4 years - would I have to start getting him the rabies jabs now or nearer the time?? And would I only need to get the blood tests done on him starting from say the year before we planned to go so that if they're ok, we're free to go anytime that year or the next??

*pearly*
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
( my dog is already chipped by the way ) So, if we plan to go back home to the UK in say 4 years - would I have to start getting him the rabies jabs now or nearer the time?? And would I only need to get the blood tests done on him starting from say the year before we planned to go so that if they're ok, we're free to go anytime that year or the next??

*pearly*
Hi
I believe it needs to be done the year that u r flying home, but don't quote me. Mine had their first injections in december, the second in january and the blood tests 2 weeks later in january and they r now allowed to fly at the end of july, without any quarantine in the uk.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:59 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by onepearlyb

*pearly*
The key thing is to (a) chip, (b) rabies jab, and (c) antibody titer 6 months before you leave.

One reason to do it earlier is that there are scores of people on his forum who didn't think they would come home as soon as they did. Better to be prepared just in case. Once you've done a, b, and c above you just have to make sure the dog has regular rabies boosters and all you have to then do is get the 3rd country cert, etc., prior to travelling back to the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.