Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

dog and chidrens experience of being back in the uk

dog and chidrens experience of being back in the uk

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default dog and chidrens experience of being back in the uk

hi
For all of you, like me whos main concerns about going back included will the dog survive the flight? and will the kids be ok? this is just a brief report on being home the last 10 days to put your minds at rest...

Dog - I got a company to pick him up from heathrow for me for £120, which i thought was really good value. He didnt need quarantine cos of pet passprt scheme. After looking really pissed off with me for about 5mins, he then went into over-excited mode and was so happy. in oz, he used to follow me around everywhere and wouldnt go in the garden on his own. i think its cos he had been in quarantine, he may have thought we "forgot" him and always made sure we`were in sight. Back here 1hr and in the garden on his own, sniffing about etc . They do get jetlagged. Last night was his first night back. he was up and down like a brides nightie all night, wanting to play, eat, toilet etc, then snoring away during the`day. Was like having a baby in the house.! i took him to the racecourse for a walk - and he played with other dogs which was a miracle as he always seemed to get beaten up in oz! So he was so much happier than he has seemed last few months.

Children - (aged 7 and 9) went back to their old school. although they havent been at the school for the academic year with their friends they went back to same school and fitted in right away like theyd never been away. they liked the celebrity status, i think. dont know how long itll last
observations by children (great) They had forgotton trees are deciduous "why are there no leaves on english trees?" they found that fascinating. the other thing they are amazed about is the number of old people you see walking about. on the way to school, we drive though the High street and they play "count the old people!" (im really aware of that too) Also, condensation on the windows "how come the rains inside, not out?"

The rental we have is crappy, and a box compared to the rental in oz but they both say they prefer this one, which just goes to show what we think is best for the kids, other things make it better for them. the girl prefers it cos her bed here is a double one for eg. doesnt matter that theres no room for anything else! We are renting on a stud farm, so theres actually more outside space here than in oz, and there are foals in the garden which they like.

For me- The best news following my sagas is that OH is coming back in 3weeks time. So now dog is here, once hes here we can be a proper family again and maybe start to rebuild our lives again Financially, we are years behind what we were when we left, but if we look at buying, we will have goals, something to aim towards. For the first few days i found it very tough. People who say you open a pandoras box when you move about are right - you always see the good in the country youre not in. You really have to let thoughts like that not take over, or you will go mad!
Most difficult for me has been the no of people who say "why did you come back, you must be mad" THAT is really starting to piss me off and normally said by people who dont know me and who wouldnt travel anywhere out of the uk themselvces unless for 2week package holiday.
Grey skies are very hard too. i really believe if the uk had an australian sky, i would feel fulfilled.
like vikingman, i thought everyone was fat when i got back. And unattractive and grey. I kept looking at people i knew from before were goodlooking and thought "what happened to you?!" They look good-looking again now.

Best things - Im not totally content re either country BUT I know my family means more to me and OH than anything so when times are hard here, its easier to say it doesnt matter where you are`so long as you are together. a valuable lesson in lifes priorities. be good to see him soon

just really want to put, what has in some ways been an amazing adventure and some ways a total nightmare to rest and move forward. i have loads of regrets re moving back, it was probably too soon and the circumstances werent right, but it was the right thing to do at the time and thats what you always have to remember. you dont have the benefit of hindsight when you make decisions so whatever you all decide to do at the time, is the right thing, and dont ever doubt that. the mind tries to play tricks on you, but decisions are always right at the time they are made. Dont forget that. have no regrets and good luck. Thanks for your support in stressy posts before
love C xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:21 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dog and chidrens experience of being back in the uk

Hello Chrissy

I have just scanned over your post but will read it properly later..that was until I saw the bit about OH coming back. I am soooooooooooo happy for you. Good luck hunny.Brilliant news.....keep us posted now and again.

Lots of love

P xx
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:43 am
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chance to be
Most difficult for me has been the no of people who say "why did you come back, you must be mad" THAT is really starting to piss me off and normally said by people who dont know me and who wouldnt travel anywhere out of the uk themselvces unless for 2week package holiday.
Ditto here when I came back from Japan:
"You're coming back? What, to live? But Japan is so nice and clean, what are you thinking of?"
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:57 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

hi
For all of you, like me whos main concerns about going back included will the dog survive the flight? and will the kids be ok? this is just a brief report on being home the last 10 days to put your minds at rest...

Dog - I got a company to pick him up from heathrow for me for £120, which i thought was really good value. He didnt need quarantine cos of pet passprt scheme. After looking really pissed off with me for about 5mins, he then went into over-excited mode and was so happy. in oz, he used to follow me around everywhere and wouldnt go in the garden on his own. i think its cos he had been in quarantine, he may have thought we "forgot" him and always made sure we`were in sight. Back here 1hr and in the garden on his own, sniffing about etc . They do get jetlagged. Last night was his first night back. he was up and down like a brides nightie all night, wanting to play, eat, toilet etc, then snoring away during the`day. Was like having a baby in the house.! i took him to the racecourse for a walk - and he played with other dogs which was a miracle as he always seemed to get beaten up in oz! So he was so much happier than he has seemed last few months.

Children - (aged 7 and 9) went back to their old school. although they havent been at the school for the academic year with their friends they went back to same school and fitted in right away like theyd never been away. they liked the celebrity status, i think. dont know how long itll last
observations by children (great) They had forgotton trees are deciduous "why are there no leaves on english trees?" they found that fascinating. the other thing they are amazed about is the number of old people you see walking about. on the way to school, we drive though the High street and they play "count the old people!" (im really aware of that too) Also, condensation on the windows "how come the rains inside, not out?"

The rental we have is crappy, and a box compared to the rental in oz but they both say they prefer this one, which just goes to show what we think is best for the kids, other things make it better for them. the girl prefers it cos her bed here is a double one for eg. doesnt matter that theres no room for anything else! We are renting on a stud farm, so theres actually more outside space here than in oz, and there are foals in the garden which they like.

For me- The best news following my sagas is that OH is coming back in 3weeks time. So now dog is here, once hes here we can be a proper family again and maybe start to rebuild our lives again Financially, we are years behind what we were when we left, but if we look at buying, we will have goals, something to aim towards. For the first few days i found it very tough. People who say you open a pandoras box when you move about are right - you always see the good in the country youre not in. You really have to let thoughts like that not take over, or you will go mad!
Grey skies are very hard too. i really believe if the uk had an australian sky, i would feel fulfilled.
like vikingman, i thought everyone was fat when i got back. And unattractive and grey. I kept looking at people i knew from before were goodlooking and thought "what happened to you?!" They look good-looking again now.

Best things - Im not totally content re either country BUT I know my family means more to me and OH than anything so when times are hard here, its easier to say it doesnt matter where you are`so long as you are together. a valuable lesson in lifes priorities. be good to see him soon

just really want to put, what has in some ways been an amazing adventure and some ways a total nightmare to rest and move forward. i have loads of regrets re moving back, it was probably too soon and the circumstances werent right, but it was the right thing to do at the time and thats what you always have to remember. you dont have the benefit of hindsight when you make decisions so whatever you all decide to do at the time, is the right thing, and dont ever doubt that. the mind tries to play tricks on you, but decisions are always right at the time they are made. Dont forget that. have no regrets and good luck. Thanks for your support in stressy posts before
love C xxx
beware of the rose tinted glasses in the future .
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
beware of the rose tinted glasses in the future .
So pleased that you will be a whole family again. I really hope things go well for you in the future.

Whisky
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have much time right now, but had to say thanks for such a great post! It's good to hear how you're feeling; I reckon I'll be about the same! Take care and keep us updated.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: dog and chidrens experience of being back in the uk

Hi Chrissy
I'm so glad your back safe,
i knew it wouldn't be long before you we're intouch again,
there's no more happier people than your friends here that are first happy at your safe arrival but also of the fantastic news that OH if soon to follow,
well done darling
Take a day at a time
Best wishes
Michelle x
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:51 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

hi

love C xxx

MMmmmm we 'still' get this when we talk about our move to Perth and we have been back two years in June!!!!!!

You can explain to people until you are blue in the face but they dont listen, its a bit like trying to explain to people on this site about why you returned or why you want to return.....when they haven't lived or experienced Australia for themselves.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by janeyray
MMmmmm we 'still' get this when we talk about our move to Perth and we have been back two years in June!!!!!!

You can explain to people until you are blue in the face but they dont listen, its a bit like trying to explain to people on this site about why you returned or why you want to return.....when they haven't lived or experienced Australia for themselves.
Hi janeyray
Our experience was Canada and not Australia
But yes what you have said is very true
shelly
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

cheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud of

Hi,

Having been reading your posts and so pleased for you that things are getting better, great news about OH

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck for the future whatever it may hold and that the stressfull times are now behind you and you can move forward together as a family.

Best wishes

xx
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much!
You are ALL wonderful people!
today, 2 friends and 2 fam members just turned up with paintbrushes to help me get this place nice for when OH returns. Now, THATS why you come back - the people
hope u all get what you want soon
love c xxx
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you very much!
You are ALL wonderful people!
today, 2 friends and 2 fam members just turned up with paintbrushes to help me get this place nice for when OH returns. Now, THATS why you come back - the people
hope u all get what you want soon
love c xxx
I'm so pleased for you And chuffed to bits your OH is coming "home" to you soon. You made a hugely brave decision and I'm so pleased it's worked out well for you

Be happy

Tilly x