Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of UK health insurance which will include pre-existing conditions?

Does anyone know of UK health insurance which will include pre-existing conditions?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

sykeski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone know of UK health insurance which will include pre-existing conditions?

I'm moving back to the UK in March after what will be 8 years in Oz. I am going back to be with my family (mum, dad, sister and her kids) but while I was out here i was diagnosed with cancer. Much as I really want to be with my family, the NHS medical care in the UK really scares me as there are so many horror stories. Does anyone know of any health insurance that will take on pre-existing conditions? or does anyone know of any good insurers genrally for health care. It seems to be just BUPA?!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know of UK health insurance which will include pre-existing condition

Originally Posted by sykeski
I'm moving back to the UK in March after what will be 8 years in Oz. I am going back to be with my family (mum, dad, sister and her kids) but while I was out here i was diagnosed with cancer. Much as I really want to be with my family, the NHS medical care in the UK really scares me as there are so many horror stories. Does anyone know of any health insurance that will take on pre-existing conditions? or does anyone know of any good insurers genrally for health care. It seems to be just BUPA?!
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

There are horror stories about any health system. (I do not know about private insurance I'm afraid.)

I would suggest you investigate the hospitals and oncology departments/consultants in the area where you are planning to live. Maybe even talk to someone at the relevant Health Authority. Once you have registered with a GP, request a referral to your preferred option.

Also look at the NICE treatment guidelines for your cancer, and maybe do a search at the Lancet and BMJ websites. There must be other British websites for cancer sufferers which you could investigate to get further information.

Obviously bring your medical notes with you, preferably with a proposed treatment outline from your current oncologist.

All the best.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know of UK health insurance which will include pre-existing condition

Unfortunately, insurance rarely if ever covers pre-existing conditions, and I doubt your Australian health insurance (if you have it) would cover you in the U.K. But maybe ask them?

If you have access to good healthcare in Australia, then you should perhaps think about whether you should remain for that reason. Going into the U.K. system will be an "unknown". On the other hand, you may be closer to a support network, if that's important to you.

If you're not an Australian citizen you should at least make sure you have a resident return visa before leaving, although bear in mind that this does not keep the door to returning open permanently.

Sorry to hear of your condition and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about your illness and I can understand your anxiety about how returning to the UK might affect your treatment.

First off, I must say I don't know the definitive answer but my educated guess is that the only way you might get private cover in your situation is if you are hired by an employer who has an employees' health insurance plan. Certainly in the States, employee health cover often does not exclude preexisting conditions (for obvious reasons, namely because if preexisting conditions were excluded, it would drastically reduce job mobility). Otherwise, even in the States, if you change providers you usually start from scratch, i.e., preexisting conditions not covered.

Health insurance is one of many things that can get screwed up by moving around (especially between countries), because you often are treated as if you didn't exist anywhere else (car insurance premiums are often very high the first year or so back in the UK for similar reasons). My dog's health insurance is another example. 10 years old, fit as a fiddle, gets fed the healthiest food, never had any serious health problems, but in the eyes of British insurers, she's just "an old dog" who therefore has greater risk of illness and therefore higher premiums (whereas if she were still in the States, she'd be covered cheaply by the same company she's been covered by for the past 8 years, claim-free)

If it's any consolation, I think a lot of the NHS horror stories are focused on too much and if you look carefully enough, you'll find stacks of testimonials from people who had fantastic treatment under the NHS. Plus, it is free - again, in the States, even with health insurance, the co-pays and deductibles and limits of a policy can often mean that major illnesses can lead to bankruptcy.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:42 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm sorry to hear about your illness and I can understand your anxiety about how returning to the UK might affect your treatment.

First off, I must say I don't know the definitive answer but my educated guess is that the only way you might get private cover in your situation is if you are hired by an employer who has an employees' health insurance plan. Certainly in the States, employee health cover often does not exclude preexisting conditions (for obvious reasons, namely because if preexisting conditions were excluded, it would drastically reduce job mobility). Otherwise, even in the States, if you change providers you usually start from scratch, i.e., preexisting conditions not covered.

Health insurance is one of many things that can get screwed up by moving around (especially between countries), because you often are treated as if you didn't exist anywhere else (car insurance premiums are often very high the first year or so back in the UK for similar reasons). My dog's health insurance is another example. 10 years old, fit as a fiddle, gets fed the healthiest food, never had any serious health problems, but in the eyes of British insurers, she's just "an old dog" who therefore has greater risk of illness and therefore higher premiums (whereas if she were still in the States, she'd be covered cheaply by the same company she's been covered by for the past 8 years, claim-free)

If it's any consolation, I think a lot of the NHS horror stories are focused on too much and if you look carefully enough, you'll find stacks of testimonials from people who had fantastic treatment under the NHS. Plus, it is free - again, in the States, even with health insurance, the co-pays and deductibles and limits of a policy can often mean that major illnesses can lead to bankruptcy.
In the US, when you are first hired for a job, there is open enrollment, and preexisting conditions are covered. As long as you keep the policy in effect, illnesses will be covered. If you voluntarily drop the insurance, and then later on want to take it back up, they may not cover you for preexisting. If you lose your job, you can take COBRA for up to 18 months, and keep your present coverage, allowing you to get another job. When you get another job, you will be on open enrollment, which should cover any preexisting. In other words "the first time you are offered the policy," usually preexisting conditions are covered, but then you don't get a 2nd chance if you don't take the insurance, or if you let it lapse.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
In the US, when you are first hired for a job, there is open enrollment, and preexisting conditions are covered. As long as you keep the policy in effect, illnesses will be covered. If you voluntarily drop the insurance, and then later on want to take it back up, they may not cover you for preexisting. If you lose your job, you can take COBRA for up to 18 months, and keep your present coverage, allowing you to get another job. When you get another job, you will be on open enrollment, which should cover any preexisting. In other words "the first time you are offered the policy," usually preexisting conditions are covered, but then you don't get a 2nd chance if you don't take the insurance, or if you let it lapse.
Yes, I'm pretty familiar with most of these details. I was just using the US example as a suggestion to the OP that an employee plan may be her only opportunity to get preexisting conditions covered under a private health policy.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I'm pretty familiar with most of these details. I was just using the US example as a suggestion to the OP that an employee plan may be her only opportunity to get preexisting conditions covered under a private health policy.
Don't think so...when we lived in the UK we had BUPA and PPP neither would cover pre-existing conditions or any illness related to them. I suffer from migraine therefore it was written into the policy that no illness related to migraine would be covered. Both policies were through an employer.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:19 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't think so...when we lived in the UK we had BUPA and PPP neither would cover pre-existing conditions or any illness related to them. I suffer from migraine therefore it was written into the policy that no illness related to migraine would be covered. Both policies were through an employer.
Yup, I don't hold out much hope either. I guess one of the downsides to having free healthcare is that the perceived need for an employer-sponsored health plan is lacking. I remember when I came back in 2000 (from an excellent employer-backed health plan in TN) I asked who the health care carrier was for the uni I was working with, and was met with blank stares.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Does anyone know of UK health insurance which will include pre-existing condition

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

As with the previous replies, I don't know of any private health insurance companies which will take on pre-existing conditions.

However, here is a very informative website from the well-regarded and established charity, 'Cancerbackup' (used to be called 'Bacup' I think) with lots of news, information and a forum.

I hope it is helpful to you and Good Luck!

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Home
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The bad news is that you will not find any insurers who will cover you for any cancer related matters, on an individual basis. The fact is that they are businesses who need to make a profit and you will represent a bad risk.

There is a possibility that an employer sponsored plan may cover, but that is not guaranteed.

The NHS is not always as bad as the press would have you believe. It can depend on where you live, so make sure you are near a good unit.

Good luck.

NB: There are many private medical insures in the UK, not just BUPA, who although the biggest name are not necessarily the best and can be expensive. Providers include AXA PPP, Norwich Union, Standard Life, WPA & Prudential.

NB - I am a qualified independent adviser.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for all the responses, they have been very helpful. My next question is relating to the NHS treatment that you can get and also the GP. I understand that the postcode that you live in determines where you can get treatment. Is this just relating to your GP or is this the hospitals as well? Does anyone know a website that explains how this works? Obviously this will determine where I choose to live (within reason) so that I will go for the best postcode that will help me get the best any future treatment that I can.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for all the responses, they have been very helpful. My next question is relating to the NHS treatment that you can get and also the GP. I understand that the postcode that you live in determines where you can get treatment. Is this just relating to your GP or is this the hospitals as well? Does anyone know a website that explains how this works? Obviously this will determine where I choose to live (within reason) so that I will go for the best postcode that will help me get the best any future treatment that I can.
If you wish to see a NHS GP he must be in your area. You can opt to go to a hospital out of area, ie if there is a waiting list at your local hospital. One of our members works for the NHS I will drop her a PM...she may be able to answer your questions.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:53 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

JG's got it right. Now you have the choice to go to whichever hospital you would like, but you still have to go via your GP. The government have introducted new guidelines recently, it's the 18 week wait target, which is from GP referral to treatment, whether that be surgery or some other kind of treatment...physio etc.

However, the guidelines don't apply to urgent or cancer patients, as the wait for these services is much less. Our cancer bureau has had a 2 week maximum wait for years. We have wonderful services in our trust. I know quite a few people who have used our cancer services, I don't know any that have had to go privately.

I would say it would be quite difficult to get coverage, after a cancer diagnosis.

I've never had cancer, but I have many medical problems, all of which have been treated excellently under the NHS. The only problem I've ever had has been with a GP, but I switched surgeries & have had top quality care with other GPs.

I hope everything works out well for you, I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I wish you all the best. Please let me know if you have any more questions & I'll do my best to answer them.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:38 am
Just Joined

thanks, that is very clear and very helpful.
Originally Posted by Partystar
JG's got it right. Now you have the choice to go to whichever hospital you would like, but you still have to go via your GP. The government have introducted new guidelines recently, it's the 18 week wait target, which is from GP referral to treatment, whether that be surgery or some other kind of treatment...physio etc.

However, the guidelines don't apply to urgent or cancer patients, as the wait for these services is much less. Our cancer bureau has had a 2 week maximum wait for years. We have wonderful services in our trust. I know quite a few people who have used our cancer services, I don't know any that have had to go privately.

I would say it would be quite difficult to get coverage, after a cancer diagnosis.

I've never had cancer, but I have many medical problems, all of which have been treated excellently under the NHS. The only problem I've ever had has been with a GP, but I switched surgeries & have had top quality care with other GPs.

I hope everything works out well for you, I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I wish you all the best. Please let me know if you have any more questions & I'll do my best to answer them.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Partystar

Thanks for your help L.