Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do we have to pay the $7000 first home owners grant back??

Wikiposts

Do we have to pay the $7000 first home owners grant back??

Old Nov 4th 2003, 12:07 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Do we have to pay the $7000 first home owners grant back??

I heard somewhere that if you sell a property within a year of buying it and you applied for the $7000 first home owners grant, then you have to pay it back? (OZ)

So I went on the internet and took a look at the forms and couldn't find anything where it said that. The only reference it made was that you had to be living in the house within a year of applying for the grant.

Does anyone know about this?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jane
I can't answer your Q I'm afraid (if I was still in the job I left in Sept I could but I'm not!!) I wouldn't have thought you would have to pay it back tho - what about people who want to move house within the first year?

Just wanted to ask when you are going back to UK, and to wish you well for life back there!

HP
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:48 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I wouldn't have thought you would have to pay it back tho - what about people who want to move house within the first year?

Just wanted to ask when you are going back to UK, and to wish you well for life back there!

HP
I thought about that to, it would mean that no first time buyer could move within their first year, if they did they would loose the grant!!?? That would be ridiculous!?

We are going back in approx 6-7 months. I would go back a lot sooner (for Christmas) if we could but we are taking our pets back and they have to have 6 months wait after their Rabis Vaccine!!! Never mind!! Hopefully we may make a bit more money on our house!!???

Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
I thought about that to, it would mean that no first time buyer could move within their first year, if they did they would loose the grant!!?? That would be ridiculous!?

We are going back in approx 6-7 months. I would go back a lot sooner (for Christmas) if we could but we are taking our pets back and they have to have 6 months wait after their Rabis Vaccine!!! Never mind!! Hopefully we may make a bit more money on our house!!???

oh well, I suppose you'll have to stay and endure the next few months of summer, and then go back to the UK just in time for ....er, summer

I'll think of you when I'm sliding down my driveway in -4 degrees in February, trying to defrost the windscreen and get the keys in the lock!

I'm sure the house prices will work in your favour.

Good luck
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:25 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Do we have to pay the $7000 first home owners grant back??

I heard somewhere that if you sell a property within a year of buying it and you applied for the $7000 first home owners grant, then you have to pay it back? (OZ)

So I went on the internet and took a look at the forms and couldn't find anything where it said that. The only reference it made was that you had to be living in the house within a year of applying for the grant.

I think it only applies if you are selling and staying in Aus.. I THINK (not sure). If it was me I'd phone the state revenue office and ask them. On the forms I have got there is a telephone number for the one in Queensland. If you look at the application forms (if you haven't got one on you.. just download one off the gov website) there should be a telephone number there for the state revenue office that deals with these grants.
cheers
Old Nov 12th 2003, 5:05 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Hi janeray
Do you know anywhere I can find info out about this grant, like applying and conditions? Would be interested to read about it.

nicholls clan
Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:21 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Hi janeray
Do you know anywhere I can find info out about this grant, like applying and conditions? Would be interested to read about it.

nicholls clan

Try here:

http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/gas/fhog/index.htm

I am feeling helpful today, especially to someone coming from Birmingham to Brisbane as we did! Where are you currently?
Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:21 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by jayr
Try here:

http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/gas/fhog/index.htm

I am feeling helpful today, especially to someone coming from Birmingham to Brisbane as we did! Where are you currently?
Wow another link!!! I may have to time you. I post a question you have to come back asap with a valid link

jayr, We live about 40mins from Brumajum, on the edge of Cannock Chase. Been here for 3 years after leaving OZ where we lived for 4 years. Came back for family etc, but now our tickets are booked and in April 2004 will be sat in Muruben (south of Browns Plains) with a VB on the sun deck, feet up, grandparents coo cooing over little ones. On the other hand may be fishing near Wynnum. Worked in Brum centre for 8 months but it got to much for me. But I do like to go into the city and shop till I drop.
Just something nice about Brum and the Brummie accent.