Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do I need a UK Visa to return home to UK to live?

Do I need a UK Visa to return home to UK to live?

Old May 25th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future
Default Do I need a UK Visa to return home to UK to live?

Hi,
Ok very confused on the UK border Agency site, can never find any clear information on there!
I moved to the US back in 1990 after being born in UK and all my family is still in UK, have spent over 20 years in US and am now hopefully plan to move back to UK in the next 12 to 18 months. My husband is a US citizen so I have to sponsor him and we have to figure out my adopted daughters stuff as I cant find any information about applying for her residency. My biological son is dual UK and US citizenship and has UK passport so I'm hoping his will at least be straightforward. While searching for the spousal information I came across information that said if you are a British National (is that the same as a citizen) and you have lived outside the UK for more than 2 years and are wanting to stay in the UK for more than 6 months then you need to apply for a UK VISA and be sponsored by someone over there. So in other words do I a UK citizen, UK passport holder who was born and grew up over there, worked and has family there need to apply for a visa so that I can move back? I really hope I'm incorrect in reading this, has anyone else had issues with this, does anyone else find the UK border website confusing?
Thanks for all your time and help
Alexis
PS anyone help out on adopted child residency and passport please see my other discussion...International adoption, and UK residency/Passport!
Old May 25th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a UK Visa to return home to UK to live?

British National (overseas) is not the same as a British citizen.

As a British Citizen, you have the right to live in the UK and do not need any kind of Visa to return

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ionaloverseas/

Last edited by britsnake; May 25th 2010 at 4:35 pm.
Old May 25th 2010, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future

Thanks so much britsnake for this info and answering my question, and putting my mind at ease.
Alexis
Old May 25th 2010, 11:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We did the MN1 for our Dd adopted in the US and she now has a certificate of registration as a UK citizen. Once we got that we applied for her UK passport no problem. The MN1 was pretty straightforward, but needed a ton of accompanying paperwork on the adoption, court records etc.
Old May 26th 2010, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Hi Mummy in the foothills,
Thanks so much for the info, did you by any chance have to send the originals or would they accept notorized copies.We only have one original on some of our paperwork, and I dont know what we would do if those got lost or misplaced!
Many thanks for your time.
Alexis
Old May 26th 2010, 3:16 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I sent photocopies of the of the court papers and the original final decree of adoption or whatever it's called and the original amended birth certificate, then held my breath and hoped they didn't loose it as it's our only copy. They sent all the papers back in good shape no problem.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graphicsgal
Hi,
Ok very confused on the UK border Agency site, can never find any clear information on there!
I moved to the US back in 1990 after being born in UK and all my family is still in UK, have spent over 20 years in US and am now hopefully plan to move back to UK in the next 12 to 18 months. My husband is a US citizen so I have to sponsor him and we have to figure out my adopted daughters stuff as I cant find any information about applying for her residency. My biological son is dual UK and US citizenship and has UK passport so I'm hoping his will at least be straightforward. While searching for the spousal information I came across information that said if you are a British National (is that the same as a citizen) and you have lived outside the UK for more than 2 years and are wanting to stay in the UK for more than 6 months then you need to apply for a UK VISA and be sponsored by someone over there. So in other words do I a UK citizen, UK passport holder who was born and grew up over there, worked and has family there need to apply for a visa so that I can move back? I really hope I'm incorrect in reading this, has anyone else had issues with this, does anyone else find the UK border website confusing?
Thanks for all your time and help
Alexis
Your husband needs a visa, http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Your children (once your adopted child is registered British) don't need visas, just British passports.

You don't need a visa but you should think very hard before you abandon your US residence without becoming a US citizen (you don't tell is if you have already become American).