Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do I Need To Travel With My Wife? (Settlement Visa)

Do I Need To Travel With My Wife? (Settlement Visa)

Old May 30th 2013, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

WolfieThai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I Need To Travel With My Wife? (Settlement Visa)

So my wife was granted a settlement visa for the UK this week. However its been post-dated to the end of August, so i am considering flying back mid-july to look for a house rental.

My wife suggested i just stay there and wait for her to arrive at the end of August, but i thought i remember reading somewhere that its advisable for me to be travelling with her when she enters the UK. Does anyone know about this, or have experienced it themselves?

Thanks in Advance for any info etc
Old May 30th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do I Need To Travel With My Wife? (Settlement Visa)

This is the advice on the UKBA website.

Using your visa to enter the UK

When you arrive in the UK, an immigration officer may ask you to show evidence of your reasons for coming here. In your hand luggage you should carry copies of the documents that you used to obtain your visa.

You should not experience any problems when you arrive in the UK, if:

you gave us all the information relevant to your stay in the UK when you applied for your visa;
you did not, with or without your knowledge, give false information to support your application, and
there has been no change to your circumstances, or your reasons for travelling to the UK, since the visa was issued.

If you have given false information to support your application, you will be refused entry to the UK and may be automatically refused a visa for 10 years for using deception on an application.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...lders/#header3

While you don't have to travel with your wife, it is relevant to your situation that you were granted your visa in part based on the fact that you provided evidence that you were going to be living in the home of your aunt.
I realize that this must happen frequently whereby people stay with family initially before finding a place of their own but I think it would be safer just to move in as planned to begin with so that your wife can be completely honest at the border.
Following this train of thought, there would be nothing to stop you still going in advance to begin looking for alternative accommodation or for any other legitimate reason for that matter.
Old May 30th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

When applying for a partner visa, it can be either on the basis of joining the partner already in the UK, or travelling with the partner when settling in the UK.

Normally when the couple are living overseas at time of application it is expected that the British sponsor will travel with their non-EU partner when entering the UK for the first time.
Old May 30th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
When applying for a partner visa, it can be either on the basis of joining the partner already in the UK, or travelling with the partner when settling in the UK.

Normally when the couple are living overseas at time of application it is expected that the British sponsor will travel with their non-EU partner when entering the UK for the first time.
This is a good point. Is there anything to specifically preclude them from traveling separately though?
Old May 30th 2013, 1:55 pm
Ley
Just Joined

Ley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WolfieThai
So my wife was granted a settlement visa for the UK this week. However its been post-dated to the end of August, so i am considering flying back mid-july to look for a house rental.

My wife suggested i just stay there and wait for her to arrive at the end of August, but i thought i remember reading somewhere that its advisable for me to be travelling with her when she enters the UK. Does anyone know about this, or have experienced it themselves?

Thanks in Advance for any info etc
Hi , I got my spouse visa in Feb 2013.i entered UK in March and had to travel on my own. My husband had written a letter saying he had to say back in Spain . I did have my documents with me . I think it depends on the UKBA officer and I was not questioned at all. I do travel to UK a lot , alone or with the children . Make sure she tells them that she has her spouse visa and the immigration officer stamps the passport page with the date she enters. Good luck
Old May 30th 2013, 6:03 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by larrabee
This is a good point. Is there anything to specifically preclude them from traveling separately though?
absolutely nothing at all to preclude separate travel - Obviously it happens many times. It may not be advisable for the sponsor to travel after the applicant is this could cause a few questions. But previous poster was OK.
I traveled ahead of my OH last year. When OH came in through Heathrow, was asked what was the reason for travel to UK , where is your spouse and that was all.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
I don't think there's anything specific, however the amount of interest a person gets on entry to the UK may differ depending on the officer on duty, manager on duty, anything specific they're looking for etc..

It's generally a good idea to do what you say you would do on the visa application, and carry all the evidence from that application with you. Chances are you probably won't be asked more than the normal one or two questions - e.g. my wife & I (and kids) were straight through last August, with her on a partner visa (ILE under old rules) that had a starting date just over 6 months prior to our actual entry date.
Old May 31st 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

WolfieThai is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I think we will go stay with the family for a few days as they are eager to see us again... Plus that gives us the ability to say to the boarder official that the situation remains the same as the conditions under which we applied.

I did state on my letter asking UKBA to grant the visa that we intended to live with family until we purchase our own house, we would also formally inform the UKBA of the new address once we have moved into the new house (rental or purchased) not sure if this is a requirement or not but we will do this anyway.

If I wait and travel with my wife to the UK that means I need to get my visa renewed in Thailand, which means traveling outside the country etc, so save on costs etc it makes more sense for me to travel back a month earlier and get the ball rolling on the many jobs that need to be done. Plus it means I should be able to get the dog over roughly the same time as my wife, re-uniting the family at the same time I think, unless we get strong advice to travel together I will go this route.

Thanks again for all the advice, this forum has been very very helpful!!
Old May 31st 2013, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like a plan!
Old May 31st 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WolfieThai
we would also formally inform the UKBA of the new address once we have moved into the new house (rental or purchased) not sure if this is a requirement or not but we will do this anyway.
If the visa holder is already living in the UK, there is no need to do this - and therefore no process for the UKBA to follow with such information. They will find out what her address is at the time of her next visa application (if not already via another government department), so best to stick to what is required at the appropriate time in my opinion.