Different Words

Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:57 am
Scottish forever

scotia123 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Different Words

The first time I heard "fanny" I nearly died of embarrassment and could not understand why the word was being used in the conversation!!!!.....then when "fanny bag" was used I lost it completely.....had visions of a type of colostomy bag!!!!....and felt so sorry for the person who was talking.

Needless to say I have adjusted as one should to the country we now live in and being Scottish I do get the usual......your accent is fantastic where are you from...Australia?......
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotia123
where are you from...Australia?......
I get asked where I am from in this order:

1. Australia
2. Scotland
3. Britain

I'm from Yorkshire.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotia123
The first time I heard "fanny" I nearly died of embarrassment and could not understand why the word was being used in the conversation!!!!.....

My first encounter with any American was when I was in my 20's and took a job in Germany as a nanny for an AF family stationed there. My first evening in their home, I heard the mom screaming at the kids "I'm going to beat your fanny"!! I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life! I was horrified that I had moved in with an abusive family!

Turned out to be one of the best years of my life! (met hubby there too)
One of the kids is married with her own family now and I just recently got a message from her on FB
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
If a big burly guy told me to "put the wood in the hole, love", I'd have turned and walked out, figuring it was that kind of bar.
Bloody hell, i never even thought of that you know! We don't really use the word wood in that way back there. i guess that's another one for the list.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:12 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Cause they do!

If you've got a woody. You've got a woody, know what I mean, love.

I love using the word love. It confuses the ***** out of people.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman

1. Australia
2. Scotland
3. Britain

I'm from Yorkshire.
Wow.. I never get told Britain! Normally its Australia, South Africa or once, and I kid you not.. Russia!

When I first moved here, I was staying in a Hotel and really wanted a soak in the bath. I went to the reception to ask for a 'plug' - they hadn't a clue what I was asking for. After lots of explaining and hand gesturing, I thought we'd sussed it. Ten minutes later a maintenance man came to the door to fix the bath I'm still not sure what it's called here - stopper?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Even within the USA, there are different names for things. I'll never forget the time my friend from North Dakota was telling me she needed to go buy a plug for her daughter. After some confusion, I realized she's talking about a pacifier. In our household (originally from Connecticut), the word "plug" was slang for a tampon! LOL
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Even within the USA, there are different names for things. I'll never forget the time my friend from North Dakota was telling me she needed to go buy a plug for her daughter. After some confusion, I realized she's talking about a pacifier. In our household (originally from Connecticut), the word "plug" was slang for a tampon! LOL
Christ, I hope it doesn't mean the same in California - I'm mortified!!!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Did the maintenance man look very apprehensive?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:25 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

That's the first thing I thought as well!

I bet the maintenance guy was wondering why the hell they called him! What tools did he bring?

Actually I've always called it a drain plug. Although now that I think about it, every tub we've ever had had it built in, operated by a little lever or something.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I much prefer the simple plugs on a chain, those lever things always go wrong.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I much prefer the simple plugs on a chain, those lever things always go wrong.
And the drain's here are always getting blocked up with hair etc, (well ours do anyway).
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did the maintenance man look very apprehensive?
Come to think of it.. he really did!!

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That's the first thing I thought as well!
Oh my Goodness.. So, when I was saying I wanted a plug to stuff into the drain, and was motioning a circle with my fingers.... Oh man, thats embarressing
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Come to think of it.. he really did!!

Oh my Goodness.. So, when I was saying I wanted a plug to stuff into the drain, and was motioning a circle with my fingers.... Oh man, thats embarressing
pfft, that's *one* meaning, samba (and yes, I laughed at your 'omg!') but I'd call the item in question a 'plug for the bath' and not blush at calling it a 'plug' myself.
But you paint a hilarious picture!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman

1. Australia
2. Scotland
3. Britain

I'm from Yorkshire.
This is the most bizarre one I have ever had (happened a couple of weeks ago) I was talking to a guy over the phone and he asked me if I was from Jamaica!

I very seldom get asked if I am british mostly Austrailian, South African and Dutch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.