Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Different continents but same baggage.

Different continents but same baggage.

Old May 6th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Different continents but same baggage.

My family and I have been in Australia for 18 months now. We have never felt settled but put it down to difficulties with "in -laws", then getting schooling sorted out for our kids. However because we were finding it difficult to find a suitable rental and because we were lucky enough to have the funds, we decided to buy. In my mind it was to MAKE us commit at least for two or three years. So far thats the plan but it has been HARRRRRRRRRRRRD! Unemployment hit both my partner and I - Accountant and Psychotherapist. No jokes about "go heal thyself" thanks. We wanted out of London beacuse of the noise and the pollution and I wanted a place in the sun. We have the sun and I think the weather is just perfect. I love it. We also left London because we were fed up with the lack of spontaneity. If you wanted to see friends we had to book them three weeks ahead. (Hmmm -- it did seem as if it was us that had the empty spaces in the diary not sure why) People say that London can be a lonely city. Most of the time I was happy - good colleagues and friends but I have no close family (other than my partner and two children) - a couple of cousins I used to see every month or so. Friends - sometimes once a month or three times a year. So yes for us at times London could be a bit lonely. When we first arrived in Australia is was not so much loneliness that hit us as isolation - not knowing anyone. Gradually you get to know people and so a social life evolves. Maybe I am expecting too much after all, 18 months is not long, but we don't have that many friends here or see many people socially and yet we are sociable.

After spending months sending out c.v.'s and spending hours with phones stuck to our ears, the job situation is as dire as ever. We have lived off savings since we arrived. Even when my partner was working for 8 months, it was not enough to cover major bills such as car repairs, pool repairs and getting a gas supply put into the house. I think (naturally?) one starts to think about going back to the London. I was never unemployed but sometimes it was stressful not knowing whether the work was going to dry up or not. It never did but I guess it's common with those of us who are self-employed.

We had a bit better social life in London but not soooooooo much better. We did have money which was kinda nice! We did not have the pool or the house backing onto the national park. Neither did we have two cars, but we did not need them. Would be be happier going back? I keep asking myself that question. At the moment unemployment is talking its toll. if we were both employed we would be happier.

So it leaves us where I started this thread. You can move countries but in the end you are the same person and the chances are that what made you unhappy in the UK will make you unhappy in Australia too.

If you have read this far well done!
Old May 6th 2006, 4:25 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different continents but same baggage.

Having read your post I just wish you all the best for the future and hope that a job comes along soon. It sounds as though you are making a go of it apart from the worry of not working and hope the funds hold out so that you can find a job and start really enjoying life in Australia. Best wishes.
Old May 6th 2006, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian12
My family and I have been in Australia for 18 months now. We have never felt settled but put it down to difficulties with "in -laws", then getting schooling sorted out for our kids. However because we were finding it difficult to find a suitable rental and because we were lucky enough to have the funds, we decided to buy. In my mind it was to MAKE us commit at least for two or three years. So far thats the plan but it has been HARRRRRRRRRRRRD! Unemployment hit both my partner and I - Accountant and Psychotherapist. No jokes about "go heal thyself" thanks. We wanted out of London beacuse of the noise and the pollution and I wanted a place in the sun. We have the sun and I think the weather is just perfect. I love it. We also left London because we were fed up with the lack of spontaneity. If you wanted to see friends we had to book them three weeks ahead. (Hmmm -- it did seem as if it was us that had the empty spaces in the diary not sure why) People say that London can be a lonely city. Most of the time I was happy - good colleagues and friends but I have no close family (other than my partner and two children) - a couple of cousins I used to see every month or so. Friends - sometimes once a month or three times a year. So yes for us at times London could be a bit lonely. When we first arrived in Australia is was not so much loneliness that hit us as isolation - not knowing anyone. Gradually you get to know people and so a social life evolves. Maybe I am expecting too much after all, 18 months is not long, but we don't have that many friends here or see many people socially and yet we are sociable.

After spending months sending out c.v.'s and spending hours with phones stuck to our ears, the job situation is as dire as ever. We have lived off savings since we arrived. Even when my partner was working for 8 months, it was not enough to cover major bills such as car repairs, pool repairs and getting a gas supply put into the house. I think (naturally?) one starts to think about going back to the London. I was never unemployed but sometimes it was stressful not knowing whether the work was going to dry up or not. It never did but I guess it's common with those of us who are self-employed.

We had a bit better social life in London but not soooooooo much better. We did have money which was kinda nice! We did not have the pool or the house backing onto the national park. Neither did we have two cars, but we did not need them. Would be be happier going back? I keep asking myself that question. At the moment unemployment is talking its toll. if we were both employed we would be happier.

So it leaves us where I started this thread. You can move countries but in the end you are the same person and the chances are that what made you unhappy in the UK will make you unhappy in Australia too.

You mention being unemployed as a major factor - ask yourself this: If you had a job right now, would you still be considering going back home?

If the answer to that is yes; then based on my own experience I would suggest that 18 months is not long enough. You've made a massive lifestyle change, and it takes time to adapt. Don't forget to consider how easy it would/wouldn't be for you to walk back into employment in the UK, also.

There are some similar very good threads on this subject here. If you haven't already; do take a look - there is some great input to be had.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide
Old May 6th 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

How are you both looking for work? Are you just answering ads, ringing up employment agencies etc? How many associations have you joined, have you joined any business networking clubs?

Old May 6th 2006, 7:27 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

True... my family (in Canada) still gets under my skin, 8000 miles away, BUT I have new cultures, perspectives, landscapes and laundry products to distract me. I don't think migration solves a person's baggage problems but it's an interesting, and I think life enhancing, coping mechanism... for now.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your post. I have taken what you say on board

Originally Posted by Calgal
You mention being unemployed as a major factor - ask yourself this: If you had a job right now, would you still be considering going back home?

If the answer to that is yes; then based on my own experience I would suggest that 18 months is not long enough. You've made a massive lifestyle change, and it takes time to adapt. Don't forget to consider how easy it would/wouldn't be for you to walk back into employment in the UK, also.

There are some similar very good threads on this subject here. If you haven't already; do take a look - there is some great input to be had.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide
Old May 7th 2006, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mercedes
How are you both looking for work? Are you just answering ads, ringing up employment agencies etc? How many associations have you joined, have you joined any business networking clubs?

I'm the therapist and I have called and sent my CV to most of the hospitals in the public and private sector along. I have also sent my cv to all of the counselling training organisations hoping to pick up a bit of supervision or teaching work. I have written to every GP in a 10k radius to see if I could get private referrals and I have met up with those who were happy to meet for a chat. (A bit soul destroying too). GP's only know about one particular type of therapy CBT cognitive behaviour therapy. I have been networking with established therapists and counsellors and I have made an application to join the largest psychotherapy organisation here in NSW - that was in October last year and they are still processing my application. My partner who is the account seems to rely heavily on agencies. That where the work has come from in the past. I agree with the importance of networking even if it is only to keep ones spirits up.
Old May 7th 2006, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the therapist and I have called and sent my CV to most of the hospitals in the public and private sector along. I have also sent my cv to all of the counselling training organisations hoping to pick up a bit of supervision or teaching work. I have written to every GP in a 10k radius to see if I could get private referrals and I have met up with those who were happy to meet for a chat. (A bit soul destroying too). GP's only know about one particular type of therapy CBT cognitive behaviour therapy. I have been networking with established therapists and counsellors and I have made an application to join the largest psychotherapy organisation here in NSW - that was in October last year and they are still processing my application. My partner who is the account seems to rely heavily on agencies. That where the work has come from in the past. I agree with the importance of networking even if it is only to keep ones spirits up.
What side of Sydney do you live on, the reason I ask is because there is a snobbery element. I was told that when I went for an interview with a National Company in Sydney, luckily I lived in the right part of town, but if I didn't I would use a PO box or Mail boxes as I could use a Suite number and use that as my address, it often could have positive results. Depending on what type of Accountant your other half is, the yellow pages is a good source to target businessess and companies, I used to use Agencies but found them not always that good and had better results when I cold called companies direct, especially if I could show I could save them money or was cheaper than they were paying. Also with view to you, there are quite a few GP's that practice Eastern medicine as well as Western, I always used them as a patient as I often found them better. Could you advertise for your own clients in the magazines/papers that would target your audience? Get some leaflets printed (or do them yourself) for both of you and do leaflet drops?

I hope these ideas help you, I have often landed in a city without knowing anyone and had to create a job and life when I got there, good adrenline rush, nearly ended up on a park bench once, but fear and motivation are a good tool and something always came up in the end and some companies created a job for me, when I sold them what I could do for them. At the end of the day thats all any employer is interested in, what you can do for them, either making them money or saving it...or solving their problems...

If you are happy there apart from the employment issues, by getting more work you may find some of the other issues disappear. Have you also tried some of the migrant agencies as also there may be some opportunties there, insurance companies etc....stress management training companies, (if it comes under your field) The index of the yellow pages is a good place also to give ideas of other areas to target for both of you.
Old May 7th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mercedes
What side of Sydney do you live on, the reason I ask is because there is a snobbery element. I was told that when I went for an interview with a National Company in Sydney, luckily I lived in the right part of town, but if I didn't I would use a PO box or Mail boxes as I could use a Suite number and use that as my address, it often could have positive results. Depending on what type of Accountant your other half is, the yellow pages is a good source to target businessess and companies, I used to use Agencies but found them not always that good and had better results when I cold called companies direct, especially if I could show I could save them money or was cheaper than they were paying. Also with view to you, there are quite a few GP's that practice Eastern medicine as well as Western, I always used them as a patient as I often found them better. Could you advertise for your own clients in the magazines/papers that would target your audience? Get some leaflets printed (or do them yourself) for both of you and do leaflet drops? We are in Davidson - Sort of upper North Shore

I hope these ideas help you, I have often landed in a city without knowing anyone and had to create a job and life when I got there, good adrenline rush, nearly ended up on a park bench once, but fear and motivation are a good tool and something always came up in the end and some companies created a job for me, when I sold them what I could do for them. At the end of the day thats all any employer is interested in, what you can do for them, either making them money or saving it...or solving their problems...

If you are happy there apart from the employment issues, by getting more work you may find some of the other issues disappear. Have you also tried some of the migrant agencies as also there may be some opportunties there, insurance companies etc....stress management training companies, (if it comes under your field) The index of the yellow pages is a good place also to give ideas of other areas to target for both of you.
Thanks for this. It's a good list and there are some things there that I have not tried such as migrant agencies and stress management. What line of work are you in?
Old May 8th 2006, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

It sounds to me that with the exception of your jobs, or lack thereof, your life in Sydney is pretty similar to the one you had in London, with the added attraction of pool, cars, nice house and all the usual stuff that's supposed to put a smile on our faces and a spring in our step. Sounds like if you could get jobs then it would be easier to do a comparison between life in Oz vs life back in the UK. Unemployment is a stressful thing and it must be having a bit of a negative impact after such a long time.

Just a thought, do you possibly think there's a 'he's not Australian' factor in your not getting work Ian or possibly that your qualifications are not recognised/understood by potential employers? So all in all you're abit of an unknown quantity? Or maybe the market is saturated and there genuinely is nothing in your area. Could you try areas further away and consider a longer commute?

All the best with it all anyway.
Old May 8th 2006, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i think people imagine life will change far more than it does. Someone on the aus forum just asked if your life was now a dream or nightmare. Set me thinking that its neither, apart from a few hours on the weekend when we have different rec activities, basically most days are the same as the UK, work/ school/ sleep/ chores/ bills/ eating etc. Weathers a bit different occasionally in UK we got sick of greyishness, occasionally here we get sick of being plain hot and having to plan stuff for when it cools down.
Old May 8th 2006, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think it is: "your qualifications are not recognised/understood by potential employers?" If I was a psychologist no problems. I used to work in a hospital department and supervised psychologists but psychotherapy is not really that developed in Australia. We said we would give ourselves 2 years before we made a decision. Well, we have 6 months left. Much as I love the sunshine, the pool and beaches we can't just retire.

Originally Posted by Lizzi
It sounds to me that with the exception of your jobs, or lack thereof, your life in Sydney is pretty similar to the one you had in London, with the added attraction of pool, cars, nice house and all the usual stuff that's supposed to put a smile on our faces and a spring in our step. Sounds like if you could get jobs then it would be easier to do a comparison between life in Oz vs life back in the UK. Unemployment is a stressful thing and it must be having a bit of a negative impact after such a long time.

Just a thought, do you possibly think there's a 'he's not Australian' factor in your not getting work Ian or possibly that your qualifications are not recognised/understood by potential employers? So all in all you're abit of an unknown quantity? Or maybe the market is saturated and there genuinely is nothing in your area. Could you try areas further away and consider a longer commute?

All the best with it all anyway.
Old May 8th 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Brucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really nice

I think it is: "your qualifications are not recognised/understood by potential employers?" If I was a psychologist no problems. I used to work in a hospital department and supervised psychologists but psychotherapy is not really that developed in Australia. We said we would give ourselves 2 years before we made a decision. Well, we have 6 months left. Much as I love the sunshine, the pool and beaches we can't just retire.

Hi

I find that Australians are very backwards at recognising some skillsets and qualifications, not sure why but if it doesn't tick the box they cant get around it. It's basically "computer says no" scenario no matter how ridiculous it is to say no.
On the social front I have to agree with you. We were worried it was us but we feel we are very sociable too (always making the effort) and we have met others who feel the same. We are getting use to it but its definitly lonlier out here.
In terms of the time frame for making a decision, well I think when you know you know. I dont know how many times I have heard people advise others "you need to give it longer". Well if you stayed in the middle of the Gobi desert for long enough you'd get used to it.
We are here about a year ourselves, dont particularly dislike anything (apart from the flies), not feeling homesick but have decided to go home.
For us the lack of culture\sense of history, general feel to the place doesn't appeal. The weather is great, cost of living is cheaper and greater time for familly life is great. However the place for us just is not as good as home. Home has more to offer educationally for the kids and culturally for everyone. Its hard to put my finger on it but the place for us is just empty. There is no real substance to it when you strip away a few of the material things that people strive for.
Anyway I'm begining to rant a bit. All I really wanted to say is we have similar concerns and feel weather \house\pool really wont be enough in the end.
Old May 8th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Brucey!!!! - Hi, Ive pm'ed you! PLease read. C

Ian12- i think its such a shame what you said about not finding employment when you are 2 such qualified people. the skills shortage in the uk is bad, so they bend over backwards to accomodate people. here, as brucey says, you jump through hoops. its like u proove your worth through the appplication process, but when you arrive, the goalposts change and suddenly you have to validate all your qualifications again, or then find out they are not wanted. i think that if skills are recognised for what they are at application stage, then they should be recognised by all employers once arrived - if not it makes a mockery of the process.
as a therapist you know that being out of work will be a huge factor in how you feel about things so i hope you gain worthwhile employment soon. good luck!
c xxx
Old May 8th 2006, 7:18 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i was interested to read your post and wish you good luck in oz. you certainly need to find jobs before you can compare the two lifestyles.

my own experience when we first arrived in oz looking for work as an accountant was 1). you are not australian 2). you have no local experience 3). you were probably earning a lot more in uk than you could in sydney as uk pays their accountants a lot lot better.

outside of the very largest australian companies there is much more of a management big ego/leadership culture and bean counters are not seen as part of that. it is not uncommon for top managers in oz to know little if anything about finance other than the sales targets. You only have to look at the long list of aussie companies expanding overseas to see the mess they make of it because of this culture.

this all plays against you but in my experience the biggest barrier was you had no local experience. it is different if you are an australian who has worked in london as you are simply gaining international experience but unfortunately they do not cut the same slack for foreigners and it is not just brits in fact we get of lightly. you are also now pretty stale having been out of work for some months and that gives them another excuse.

we found that until you get a job you wont get a job. i know that may sound strange but once you are employed it takes away the biggest barrier. somebody took the chance and you are according to referees doing an ok job so if i hire you and it does'nt work out i have an excuse to cover my ass. look for something junior as a quick stepping stone 3 months max, or look for a customer service job in a similar type of organisation to where you wish to work so you can apply for other jobs saying you are employed on a "project" with xyz ltd but need a greater challenge. my experience was it does'nt really matter what the job is as they rarely check it out in detail but they will check references so even if you hate everybody and hate the job it pays to be nice and get the beers in for a short time just to bag the glowing reference.

not sure if this helps but it did for me. i ended up after 3 months getting a job in a call centre for a financial services company and within 6 weeks i was offered the job i wanted. in the interview they asked me about my current "job" and i said i was helping them sort out a particular area of compliance and they swallowed it. i may have been lucky but i certainly think it helps. all the best anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.