Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:43 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your time overseas have a negative affect on you?

Originally Posted by hereandthere
The only opinions of any value in this thread are those of people that have been in Australia for many years or those who have returned to Britain and been there for many years. We know to disregard the opinions of those raving about how great Australia is when they are only on their second month, and equally those who have been back in Britain for just a few months should also be taken with a pinch of salt. Those that have been back years are really the only ones who can say which they prefer with any real authority. Everyone else is just in the honeymoon phase.
It's a little pompous to write the rules on whose opinion is of value and whose is not.

I take your point that the longer you spend somewhere the more thorough the knowledge of the place you tend to have but I do not think you can completely ''disregard'' someone's feelings towards a place just because, in your view, they have not been there long enough.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Move ... and change radio stations or switch the radio off .... or don't switch the radio on in the first place
I do all of that and I realised the other day that is not living at all....why should I have to do that just to not listen to all the rot that is on the radio, t.v. after 11 years here I will never get use to the bad language used in the media. I rely on Fox/ABC for documentaries, world news and decent programmes, my neighbours are at last decent people, all a much older generation (which is unusual..lol) after years of having neighbours with either rubber burning kids in cars, druggies...oh yes we have had that as well...all in decent areas I might add.

Has it had a bad effect on my family, no...we certainly realise what is important to us and we have seen some wonderful places in Asia....but we will be just very,very glad to be home again (U.K) next year....
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:32 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by merleoberon
thank you. your input is most appreciated.

why didnt i think of that?

oh yeah I did .
Where abouts in Perth do you live ? Just curious to know which suburb has all the problems you mention. We're in one of the northern suburbs, of Joondalup.

Sorry to have been so flipant originally. Good luck with your move back to England.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:56 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

listening to endless adverts for erectile dysfunction on the radio, listening to radio presenters using the word w*nker, sh*gging, b*stard, c*ck, sp*rm at 830 in the morning whilst driving my children to school, hearing 'proper' news reporters say "in parliament this avro, Kevin Rudd blah blah".

I remember when we first moved Perth 10 years ago, watching some political programme on tv where two politicians were having a 'discussion' (can't remember who they were). It was getting more and more heated until one turned to the other and said, 'I'd rather swim up a river of s**t with my mouth wide open than sit here listen to any more than this.' Made us giggle at the time, but then our children weren't around to hear it.....
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:56 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I do all of that and I realised the other day that is not living at all....why should I have to do that just to not listen to all the rot that is on the radio, t.v. after 11 years here I will never get use to the bad language used in the media. I rely on Fox/ABC for documentaries, world news and decent programmes, my neighbours are at last decent people, all a much older generation (which is unusual..lol) after years of having neighbours with either rubber burning kids in cars, druggies...oh yes we have had that as well...all in decent areas I might add.

Has it had a bad effect on my family, no...we certainly realise what is important to us and we have seen some wonderful places in Asia....but we will be just very,very glad to be home again (U.K) next year....
It's a myth that living in Australia means your kids are safe from the influence of drugs and drug dealers.

I think a fair proportion of those that move here from the UK come here under the influence of that myth. I know I did.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BAY
Where abouts in Perth do you live ? Just curious to know which suburb has all the problems you mention. We're in one of the northern suburbs, of Joondalup.

Sorry to have been so flipant originally. Good luck with your move back to England.
thanks for that - we are currently renting in ocean reef.

to be fair, we have been unlucky with this lot of neighbours - everyone else in the street is fine. and we've had reasonable neighbours before - although what is it with people letting their dogs bark all the time in the early hours of the morning - that seems to be an oz thing - getting up at the crack of dawn even if you dont need to and letting the hounds out to bark.

at the end of the day there's good and bad everywhere. there's lots i really like about perth but what if offers us is just not enough to put up with missing our nearest and dearest and we dont actually do anything here that we didnt do in england. we've had dodgy neighbours before in the UK too - not just here. its just that the last few months have been so flippin terrible that i am now really starting to hate it here - but that's not really a fair reflection on perth /australia generally.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:54 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

thanks for that - we are currently renting in ocean reef.

to be fair, we have been unlucky with this lot of neighbours - everyone else in the street is fine. and we've had reasonable neighbours before - although what is it with people letting their dogs bark all the time in the early hours of the morning - that seems to be an oz thing - getting up at the crack of dawn even if you dont need to and letting the hounds out to bark.

at the end of the day there's good and bad everywhere. there's lots i really like about perth but what if offers us is just not enough to put up with missing our nearest and dearest and we dont actually do anything here that we didnt do in england. we've had dodgy neighbours before in the UK too - not just here. its just that the last few months have been so flippin terrible that i am now really starting to hate it here - but that's not really a fair reflection on perth /australia generally.
Snap, we're in Ocean Reef too. Been here 18 months. Renting and luckily have great neighbours. Anyway, once again, good luck with your move back to England.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

I think you have to constantly remind yourself to only think positive thoughts, and not focus on things that seem to bother you, it just creates negative energy. I battle with this constantly. Not a day goes by where I don't have to force myself to follow my own advice. Here is an extract from my list: Huge 4WDs on the roads, automatic transmission and the driving style; the "sloppy" dress allmost all year long, men in over sized bermuda shorts and wearing caps and thongs/flip-flops (to see people walk barefeet in the street irritated me from day one); the provincial sounding ABC "fanfare" before the news, the accent in general and some expressions in particular, etc etc. It's all superficial stuff but it's the privilige of the "expat" to be in a position to see things from both home and away. Back "home" the list would probably be equally long but different.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

I forgot to mention renting. Renting a house in Australia is a complete and utter nightmare. Inspections every three months! Incompetent property managers, like estate agents at their worst; it makes you go crazy to deal with them, especially if you used to live in your own house. Yes this does have a negative effect on me, absolutely, I hate it.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The only opinions of any value in this thread are those of people that have been in Australia for many years or those who have returned to Britain and been there for many years. We know to disregard the opinions of those raving about how great Australia is when they are only on their second month, and equally those who have been back in Britain for just a few months should also be taken with a pinch of salt. Those that have been back years are really the only ones who can say which they prefer with any real authority. Everyone else is just in the honeymoon phase.
Just as I was beginning to suspect - the Moving back to the UK Forum has been changed to the Moving Back from Australia forum - the mods just forgot to change the name.

I realise that there are probably more people going to/coming back from Oz than other countries, but sometimes it seems like a lot of threads on the MBTTUK forum quickly turn into an anti-Oz-centric view of things.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

It's not just people returning (or wanting to )from Australia on here you know
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:50 am
Banned

Lordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the roughLordy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by willamos
It's a myth that living in Australia means your kids are safe from the influence of drugs and drug dealers.

I think a fair proportion of those that move here from the UK come here under the influence of that myth. I know I did.
More drugs available in Oz than in the UK imo, and more kids use drugs in Oz, which aint as bad as some people think....vast majority suffer no harm from them at all.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:26 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just as I was beginning to suspect - the Moving back to the UK Forum has been changed to the Moving Back from Australia forum - the mods just forgot to change the name.

I realise that there are probably more people going to/coming back from Oz than other countries, but sometimes it seems like a lot of threads on the MBTTUK forum quickly turn into an anti-Oz-centric view of things.
Yes I had to double check the title of this thread a few times, as it seemed a lot of comments were becoming purely Oz related.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

initially no but increasingly yes. this is in part (probably the biggest part) due to my current unhappiness because of where we are staying and our drug dealing dead beat scumbag bogan scum of the earth dole claiming work shy classless very very noisy neighbours and their equally scummy acquaintances doing burn outs outside my garden all hours of the day and night.

listening to endless adverts for erectile dysfunction on the radio, listening to radio presenters using the word w*nker, sh*gging, b*stard, c*ck, sp*rm at 830 in the morning whilst driving my children to school, hearing 'proper' news reporters say "in parliament this avro, Kevin Rudd blah blah".

the heat is picking up, the flies are picking up, the wheely bin stinks to high heaven, there are maggots, ants and silverfish everywhere (including in the kids cornflakes box this morning ), half the day is spent applying sunscreen and aeroguard, its dark at 7pm even though its summer, my fingers are swollen, sweat is running down my back and worst of all - my hair is wilting in this fekin humidity!! but apart from that - I'm not negative at all
I woke up feeling really depressed this morning and after reading this my cheeks are sore from laughing
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

More than one excellent point in this post!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.