British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Did anyone manage to get their Super out when they left Oz?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/did-anyone-manage-get-their-super-out-when-they-left-oz-627228/)

stm1971 Aug 24th 2009 10:09 am

Did anyone manage to get their Super out when they left Oz??

I did a search and it seems to be the consensus that you can't, but just wondering if any one has actually managed to do it?

Have spoke to the Super fund today as well and they have said no.

It's bl***y annoying that Oz is quite happy for you to transfer your pension from the UK to an Australian fund when you emigrate but won't let you transfer it back to a UK fund when you leave. :thumbdown:

Wish we'd never transfered it in the first place now, at least we'd still have the UK amount over there.:frown:

northernbird Aug 24th 2009 1:47 pm

Re: Did anyone manage to get their Super out when they left Oz??

Originally Posted by stm1971 (Post 7870436)
I did a search and it seems to be the consensus that you can't, but just wondering if any one has actually managed to do it?

Have spoke to the Super fund today as well and they have said no.

It's bl***y annoying that Oz is quite happy for you to transfer your pension from the UK to an Australian fund when you emigrate but won't let you transfer it back to a UK fund when you leave. :thumbdown:

Wish we'd never transfered it in the first place now, at least we'd still have the UK amount over there.:frown:

TraceyW did.

stm1971 Aug 24th 2009 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7871142)
TraceyW did.

Cheers NB. Any idea how?? Will try to PM her it if she doesn't see this.

northernbird Aug 24th 2009 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by stm1971 (Post 7871179)
Cheers NB. Any idea how?? Will try to PM her it if she doesn't see this.

No idea I am afraid, just remember her saying she did. PM the best way to go.

stm1971 Aug 24th 2009 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7871180)
No idea I am afraid, just remember her saying she did. PM the best way to go.

No worries, thanks again NB. I'll Pm her.

3 go mad in Adelaide Aug 24th 2009 4:12 pm

Oooh, can you let me kow then, as this is something the OH needs to do - Ta! :thumbup:

meljor Aug 25th 2009 3:32 am

Just go to www.ato.gov.au and do a search for DASP (departing Australia Super Payment) if over $5K you will need to know exactly how much and fill out a form for DIAC (Dept. Immigration) as well. All of this has to occur after departing Australia for good. Hope this helps. Oh and the number for tax office is 13 28 61 for tax enquiries and 13 10 20 for super enquiries if your ringing from outside Australia +61 2 6216 1111 (8am-5pm AEST.

Tr1boy Aug 25th 2009 3:52 am

Originally Posted by meljor (Post 7872586)
Just go to www.ato.gov.au and do a search for DASP (departing Australia Super Payment) if over $5K you will need to know exactly how much and fill out a form for DIAC (Dept. Immigration) as well. All of this has to occur after departing Australia for good. Hope this helps. Oh and the number for tax office is 13 28 61 for tax enquiries and 13 10 20 for super enquiries if your ringing from outside Australia +61 2 6216 1111 (8am-5pm AEST.

I 'thought' that this could be done only for the voluntary amount and not the whole sum? I hope I'm wrong though!

I know Tracey got hers but gawd knows how as I really thought it was next to impossible.

meljor Aug 25th 2009 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 7872615)
I 'thought' that this could be done only for the voluntary amount and not the whole sum? I hope I'm wrong though!

I know Tracey got hers but gawd knows how as I really thought it was next to impossible.

Me too, I'm banking on it :unsure:

quoll Aug 25th 2009 4:51 am

I thought it only applied to temporary residents http://www.treasury.gov.au/documents...rannuation.htm unless there is some clause which says that a permanent resident visa holder who can prove that their visa has expired may be entitled to claim. If you are a citizen then all bets are off.

meljor Aug 25th 2009 5:03 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7872715)
I thought it only applied to temporary residents http://www.treasury.gov.au/documents...rannuation.htm unless there is some clause which says that a permanent resident visa holder who can prove that their visa has expired may be entitled to claim. If you are a citizen then all bets are off.

I understand from my conversations with the ATO that cancellation of my permanent residency status i.e not obtaining a leave to return visa would amount to the same thing. I hope I am not wrong.

stm1971 Aug 25th 2009 5:06 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7872715)

Unfortunately it does seem to only apply to temporary residents. We are citizens and from further research today it is not looking good. TraceyW has given me a sliver of hope (thanks TraceyW) that we may be able to release it, but we will have to see if we qualify, need to find out more info first.

Interestingly I found this memo

http://taxreview.treasury.gov.au/con...C_20090227.rtf

that states that if Australia allows the transfer of money into a fund from overseas it should also allow the transfer of money out again. I have to say I agree wholeheartedly.

stm1971 Aug 25th 2009 5:08 am

Originally Posted by meljor (Post 7872733)
I understand from my conversations with the ATO that cancellation of my permanent residency status i.e not obtaining a leave to return visa would amount to the same thing. I hope I am not wrong.

I hope that is true for you meljor and you can access it. Good luck.

meljor Aug 25th 2009 5:17 am

Originally Posted by stm1971 (Post 7872740)
I hope that is true for you meljor and you can access it. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Interesting article.

meljor Aug 25th 2009 9:34 am

Having read through a lot of the bumpf on the ATO website I notice they state that "eligible temporary residents" can claim their super back. However, nowhere can I find a definition of what constitutes "eligible temporary residents". Did I ever mention how much I loath this country.:sneaky:

king kong Aug 25th 2009 12:35 pm

i have heard and it is only heresay that non australian citizens can do it . My ex wife who is duel national and is in the uk now could not get hers due to her australian nationality .
But i do have a scottish friend here who is not an australian citizen and got access to most of his when claiming hardship and is still living here . The rules seem complicated to me .

ann m Aug 25th 2009 4:17 pm

I repeat this advice ad nauseum on some threads. It's very important.

Don't move your pension until you are absolutely sure you are staying for good (and even then, how can you really know :sneaky: ). Sometimes you cannot move it again, and sometimes you lose thousands by shifting it once, let alone twice.

There's no rush folks, especially in this market where nothing is earning anything much anywhere!

Edit - not having a go at you OP - just highlighting (again!) the subject to anyone who will listen!

quoll Aug 25th 2009 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7874115)

Don't move your pension until you are absolutely sure you are staying for good (and even then, how can you really know :sneaky: ). Sometimes you cannot move it again, and sometimes you lose thousands by shifting it once, let alone twice.

There's no rush folks, especially in this market where nothing is earning anything much anywhere!

Edit - not having a go at you OP - just highlighting (again!) the subject to anyone who will listen!

Yup, I keep saying that too but people are fearful of having to pay a bit of tax on their profit. I certainly hope the OP can find a way out of it because I think it is criminal - there is absolutely no reason why people shouldnt be able to transfer between countries without penalty except that the tax advantages for putting into super here make it a nice lurk for anyone who has a bit of spare cash - when the markets are on the way up of course, when they crash like they have done there is only a huge disadvantage!

Tr1boy Aug 25th 2009 10:51 pm

Now this took some finding but I remember ages ago we were talking about 'that ad' on UKTV. Some wag wrote this.

"If you've moved to Australia like me (suckers) you can now transfer (lock away forever) your (hard earned) UK pension to Australia and take benefit at retirement completely tax free (well except the two lots of tax you've already paid on it) (some shonky company) make it easy, they took of everything (including their outrageous commission), and I got a free (useless bit of paper showing how I can only afford to live til 68) transfer report."

"There are still some things I'm getting used to in Oz (like the boredom, the rednecks, the lack of culture, the expense and the morons) but at least I know my UK pensions are (completely f**ked) sorted.";)

Twat :thumbdown:

stm1971 Aug 26th 2009 2:54 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7874115)

I totally agree AnnM, unfortunately when we moved it back in 2002 we did think we were going to be here forever. I hope it is a warning to others to think very carefully about whether it is the right thing to do as circumstances can always change.

It never crossed our minds that we wouldn't be able to transfer it back and it was never mentioned to us either during the whole process. It's our own fault though not for researching it properly at the time, But hey, that's life and it's only money LOL. It won't be the end of the world if we can't, as it will just sit in Australia until we retire (if the fees don't take it all :sneaky:) but I would have preferred it if we could have.

stm1971 Aug 26th 2009 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 7875041)
Now this took some finding but I remember ages ago we were talking about 'that ad' on UKTV. Some wag wrote this.

"If you've moved to Australia like me (suckers) you can now transfer (lock away forever) your (hard earned) UK pension to Australia and take benefit at retirement completely tax free (well except the two lots of tax you've already paid on it) (some shonky company) make it easy, they took of everything (including their outrageous commission), and I got a free (useless bit of paper showing how I can only afford to live til 68) transfer report."

"There are still some things I'm getting used to in Oz (like the boredom, the rednecks, the lack of culture, the expense and the morons) but at least I know my UK pensions are (completely f**ked) sorted.";)

Thanks, that makes me feel so much better knowing we weren't the only idiots. :rofl:

brits1 Aug 26th 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 7875041)

Thanks that advert really, really "gets my goat".......we were here 6 years before we transferred our pensions.//:ohmy: and as per usual thought we were doing the correct thing in doing so...never ever would I have done so if at anytime I was informed that we would not be able to transfer it back if needed to, obiously did not do my homework to well..again!!!...my motto..."never burn your bridges"...I seem to have done a lot of that in our move to Aus...ie closing bank accounts....will I never learn....:fingerscrossed:

Margaret3 Aug 27th 2009 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by stm1971 (Post 7875408)
I totally agree AnnM, unfortunately when we moved it back in 2002 we did think we were going to be here forever. I hope it is a warning to others to think very carefully about whether it is the right thing to do as circumstances can always change.

It never crossed our minds that we wouldn't be able to transfer it back and it was never mentioned to us either during the whole process. It's our own fault though not for researching it properly at the time, But hey, that's life and it's only money LOL. It won't be the end of the world if we can't, as it will just sit in Australia until we retire (if the fees don't take it all :sneaky:) but I would have preferred it if we could have.

in this whole ******* immigration thing it is the only sensible thing i done (coz i actually read and took on board moderator's jaj's information, and at this time i was at the 'everything will be great in oz and people who post in the mbttuk are just saddos:rolleyes:), so i left my 20 years paid up superann in the uk:thumbup:

We are , of course, paying it here, but things could've been alot worse.

Geelong Gent Aug 27th 2009 1:40 pm

We were advised it can be transferred or cashed out after 5 years provided we are leaving the country (Oz).

We however are on temporary visa's:p

The funds we transferred over took bloody ages due to UK end. But turned out good in the end as the fund we chose dropped 19% due to the GFC just before we bought units and this week it appears to have rebounded 23%:thumbsup:

Chrizall Sep 28th 2009 10:20 pm

I'm new to this thread and very interested as my Qsuper pension matures in a month. From what I've seen here it has to stay in Oz. If it does then does anyone know how can I access it from the UK?

LouiseR Oct 1st 2009 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Chrizall (Post 7972939)
I'm new to this thread and very interested as my Qsuper pension matures in a month. From what I've seen here it has to stay in Oz. If it does then does anyone know how can I access it from the UK?

You super has to remain in Oz unless you are in Australia on a temporary visa and then subsequently leave. When you meet a condition of release you can withdraw your super regardless of where in the world you are. So if you move back to the UK when you meet a condition of release you can contact your super company and arrange a withdrawal just as you would have should you have been in Australia. :)

ozhappy981 Oct 1st 2009 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Chrizall (Post 7972939)

I think you are asking a different question to what the original poster asked. If you reach pension age (and you have an Australian super fund), you can take part of your pension as cash and part as "pension".

What you do with the cash is up to you. And the "pension" can be paid into an Australian bank account (and you then transfer it into your UK bank account any way you like). Or, some super funds administrators are happy to transfer the money straight into a UK bank account.

ozhappy981 Oct 1st 2009 12:49 am

It's bl***y annoying that Oz is quite happy for you to transfer your pension from the UK to an Australian fund when you emigrate but won't let you transfer it back to a UK fund when you leave.

People who are in Oz on a temp visa, leave, AND have the visa cancelled - can apply and are eligible to get their super paid (minus tax).

Somebody asked what an "eligible temporary visa holder" is and the above is it: Had a temp visa, left, and had visa cancelled.

In other words, if you were granted a four-year 457 visa, and you leave after two years (i.e. the visa has another two years to run) - you are not eligible to apply for the super payment until you have had your visa cancelled. You don't need to wait until the four years are up, but you do need to contact DIAC first to get the visa cancelled, then apply for the super payment.

If you are in Oz on a permanent visa and leave, you cannot legally get your super payment unless you get DIAC to cancel your visa, or you can prove "hardship" (per ATO definition), or you can claim to be "terminally ill" (again as per ATO definition).

If you became an Oz citizen and leave, you can only get at your super legally if you can prove "hardship" (per ATO definition), or you can claim to be "terminally ill" (again as per ATO definition). [The same rule applies to citizens in Australia.]

If you go back to the UK and your super stays in Oz, you can access it when you reach "preservation age". [Same as any Oz citizen.]

For those born before 1/7/1960 that is age 55. "Preservation age" then goes up in one-year increments until you get to those born after 1/7/1964 for whom it is age 60.

Hope this helps.

Edited to say: There are certain scenarios/circumstances where a person can access an income stream (i.e. regular "pension payments") from their super before reaching preservation age. I haven't covered that. The above is intended to give a brief summary on how to access a "lump sum" payment - which is generally what those leaving Australia want.

LouiseR Oct 1st 2009 1:07 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 7979236)
If you are in Oz on a permanent visa and leave, you cannot legally get your super payment unless you get DIAC to cancel your visa, or you can prove "hardship" (per ATO definition), or you can claim to be "terminally ill" (again as per ATO definition).

You wouldn't be able to get your super for "hardship" if you have left Australia as ATO determines Financial Hardship as being in receipt of Centrelink benefits for 26 consecutive weeks and if you're not in Oz you won't be able to receive Centrelink benefits.

For terminal illnesses you can contact your Super fund directly and they'll sort it out for you once you've provided medical evidence.

If you wish to withdraw under Compassionate Grounds which can include Mortgage Assistance, Payment for Medical Treatments, Funeral Costs ... you need to contact APRA - Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, they govern withdrawals from Superannuation and are a government body.

ozhappy981 Oct 1st 2009 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Louiseh86 (Post 7979277)
You wouldn't be able to get your super for "hardship" if you have left Australia as ATO determines Financial Hardship as being in receipt of Centrelink benefits for 26 consecutive weeks and if you're not in Oz you won't be able to receive Centrelink benefits.

People who live outside Australia *can* make a "hardship" application. The ATO will make their decision based on the evidence provided.

Originally Posted by Louiseh86 (Post 7979277)
For terminal illnesses you can contact your Super fund directly and they'll sort it out for you once you've provided medical evidence.

But the super fund can only release payments if the ATO defintion/rules have been met. ATO rules etc here: http://www.ato.gov.au/superprofessio...t/00108369.htm

LouiseR Oct 1st 2009 1:31 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 7979314)
People who live outside Australia *can* make a "hardship" application. The ATO will make their decision based on the evidence provided.

But the super fund can only release payments if the ATO defintion/rules have been met. ATO rules etc here: http://www.ato.gov.au/superprofessio...t/00108369.htm

The only time you can withdraw under financial hardship is whilst in receipt of Centrelink Benefits for 26 consecutive weeks as set our here

Severe financial hardship

To be eligible for this condition of release, you must have received Commonwealth income-support payments continuously for 26 weeks and be unable to meet reasonable and immediate family living expenses.

Only one lump-sum payment can be made in any 12 month period. The minimum amount that can be paid is $1,000 (unless your super interest is less than this amount) and the maximum amount is $10,000.

You will need to approach your super fund for further information about your eligibility for this condition of release.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...t/00185321.htm

If you don't meet these requirements then you can't withdraw under "hardship" it must be compassionate or terminal illness or TPD.