Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dickensian Christmas Trip back to UK update.

Wikiposts

Dickensian Christmas Trip back to UK update.

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dickensian Christmas Trip back to UK update.

Originally Posted by hereandthere

You're moving to Canada aren't you? If so, the "radiation" of certain parts is nearly as high as Australia, so you still need to be careful.
Unfortunately we wont be spending 24/7 in whistler and banff, and of course wearing a snow suit or raincoat and brolly gives slightly more radiation protection than shorts and a T.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Unfortunately we wont be spending 24/7 in whistler and banff, and of course wearing a snow suit or raincoat and brolly gives slightly more radiation protection than shorts and a T.
Does one wear a snowsuit in Toronto where Canada's highest UV was recorded? I am unfamilar with the dress code in that city in the summer, so apologies if snowsuits are de rigueur there in July and August.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Does one wear a snowsuit in Toronto where Canada's highest UV was recorded? I am unfamilar with the dress code in that city in the summer, so apologies if snowsuits are de rigueur there in July and August.

If it makes you happier and less concerned for me, how about I move to belgium, that has a reputation for constant greyness.

I am sure if we try hard enough someone can come up with a city that never has sun, not even in summer.

Or I could turn into a gopher and live underground
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Or I could turn into a gopher and live underground
You're the one complaining about the sun, and you do so to bash Australia. I just point out that Canada has higher radiation levels than most people think.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're the one complaining about the sun, and you do so to bash Australia. I just point out that Canada has higher radiation levels than most people think.

If you live in australia and end up like one in two aussies with a sunspot/mole removed you are entitled to post about it just like your entitled to post what you stuck on the bbq on friday night. All part of the package.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Were not, son and i both had skin cancers cut off last week, just dont have the skin for radiation central
A couple of my friends in their twenties and thirties have had massive skin cancers cut out - one on their back (and it spread across the entire width of her back) and one on her collarbone (3 inch incision).

Another lawyer friend in his early forties had numerous cancers cut off his face and head. That's before you even get started on those who are in their fifties plus. I think most people in this age range have had at the very least a few moles removed, if not cancers cut out.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rabsody
A couple of my friends in their twenties and thirties have had massive skin cancers cut out - one on their back (and it spread across the entire width of her back) and one on her collarbone (3 inch incision).

Another lawyer friend in his early forties had numerous cancers cut off his face and head. That's before you even get started on those who are in their fifties plus. I think most people in this age range have had at the very least a few moles removed, if not cancers cut out.
This is a good thing - they are aware and have something done about it. This increased education and awareness is why more people die of skin cancer in Britain than in Australia. There is much better awareness of it in Australia - just look at the kids with their hats and so on. The fact is older people did not have the benefit of that education when they were growing up in Australia in the 1950s and 1960s - or even 1980s - when a lot of people still believed a tan was "good for you".

The high rates in other countries like Canada and the UK - and even the US - are because they are lagging behind in the education of young children on the matter. People need knowledge to avoid thing slike this - hence why I pointed out that certain parts of Canada regularly have radiation levels of 8 or 9 and even 10. Anything over 3 you should protect yourself. In scientific terms there is very little between level 8 or 9 for most white people and you should take full precautions whenever it's over 3 or 4 really, depending on skin type. Even in Canada on a summer's day it's going to be way higher than one might be used to in the UK and full Aussie-style precautions are advised.

No, I do not expect to be thanked for pointing this out to the other poster, who clearly did not know this, even though this knowledge will assist them in being much safer in the sun when in Canada. C'est la vie.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good thing - they are aware and have something done about it. This increased education and awareness is why more people die of skin cancer in Britain than in Australia. There is much better awareness of it in Australia - just look at the kids with their hats and so on. The fact is older people did not have the benefit of that education when they were growing up in Australia in the 1950s and 1960s - or even 1980s - when a lot of people still believed a tan was "good for you".

No, I do not expect to be thanked for pointing this out to the other poster, who clearly did not know this, even though this knowledge will assist them in being much safer in the sun when in Canada. C'est la vie.
Yes I would agree with you on this one H&T. They are very aware over here with regards to sun damage.

However I must point out that the mate who had the cancer spread across her back was missed numerous times at her yearly skin cancer checks, it was actually a masseuse that told her something was wrong.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rabsody
Yes I would agree with you on this one H&T. They are very aware over here with regards to sun damage.

However I must point out that the mate who had the cancer spread across her back was missed numerous times at her yearly skin cancer checks, it was actually a masseuse that told her something was wrong.
Yes this sounds awful and I hope she's OK. Medical negligence and incompetence is rare but I think this story shows that a second or third opinion should be be sought on a matter of importance.

The fact is that for two or three months of the year (down south) you have to be very careful indeed and respect the sun here. Really, British people are very poorly equipped for the sun because we can't even handle Provence or even parts of Canada and most of the US FFS. We're obviously being told to sit in the cloud and rain and just suck it up!!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps you would like to now tell us all how you 'know' anything at all about my knowledge of canadian weather.

Perhaps you have lived with me for the last few decades and I didnt notice you.

Maybe we had an affair in Canada.

Maybe you live in the wastpaper basket under my desk.

BTW kids in primary school in OZ usually do wear a hat. Once they get to high school it is generally optional. QLD's Sunday Mail has just dedicated several pages in 3 out of the last 4 issues to the lack of sunsafety in schools. Ive just got back (34 degree weather, top UV level today 11), from picking up a grade 10 kid, school of 2300, not one left wearing a hat or sunglasses, they never do.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 22nd 2009 at 2:43 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just wanted to say I lurrve your post in the Canadian forum where you are telling people it would be ridiculous to compare Australian summers to Canadian ones

You change your point of view according to who you want an argument with.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just wanted to say I lurrve your post in the Canadian forum where you are telling people it would be ridiculous to compare Australian summers to Canadian ones

You change your point of view according to who you want an argument with.
How is this a difference of viewpoint? I would love to know how my statement about Australian and Canadian summers being different does not fit with my above statement in this thread.

In your own time.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How is this a difference of viewpoint? I would love to know how my statement about Australian and Canadian summers being different does not fit with my above statement in this thread.

In your own time.

How we met. How you know me. How you 'know' my intimate views on Canadian UV ratings and weather.

In your own time

BTW Your not Kirk from Vancouver are you, hell that was one swell night

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To anybody reading this thread actually hoping to get some information on my trip to UK I apologise. Only a few days to go now.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

How we met. How you know me. How you 'know' my intimate views on Canadian UV ratings and weather.

In your own time

BTW Your not Kirk from Vancouver are you, hell that was one swell night

Sorry - you accused me of contradicting myself and I asked how I had done that - that's all. I haven't contradicted myself of course, but I want to know why you think I have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.