Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Desperately seeking dog-friendly accommodation in London!

Desperately seeking dog-friendly accommodation in London!

Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Pocketrocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperately seeking dog-friendly accommodation in London!

Hello there- first time posters here..

We're planning to leave Adelaide next year and return to London, but we've got a beautiful Retriever we can't leave behind.

We are looking for a short-term rental in central London (such as a garden flat) where the landlord will accept us bringing a dog.

Our internet research has uncovered nothing in this regard - but we're hoping there has to be a solution.

Has anyone got any agencies to suggest - or has anyone become a house sitter with a dog?

I can understand why landlords won't rent to pet owners - why should they? But we can't stand the idea of leaving our dog behind.

We've had three great years in Australia, but we're a gay couple and struggled to make friends here despite our best efforts. We'll miss the weather but friendships mean more to us.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - and suggestions gratefully received!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:05 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Desperately seeking dog-friendly accommodation in London!

Not sure is you have already tried - petfriendlyrentals.co.uk, but it may be worth a look.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all
Default Re: Desperately seeking dog-friendly accommodation in London!

Try this site...its not just for rooms.

You can select "studios, one beds and whole properties" to get a range of flats.......also can select "pets allowed"

Don't know whereabouts in London your looking at, nor budget...but this gives you an idea of whats out there that would welcome the both of you and your dog.

Hope that helps.
Ty

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare...50&sort_by=age
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

AHHHHHHH Pocketrocket, what a shame, Hubby and I have been in Adelaide for the last 3 years and the way I met new friends was dragging my ass out of the door with my lovely Labradour! Thanks god for the dog Still I got it easy as my best friend and her family moved out here a year later. If you have any bother with your retriver and bringing them home give me a shout and good luck with everything
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

Sorry if this is a bit irrelevant, but 'Brightonbelle' gave me an idea. Have you thought about living in Brighton? There are a lot of flats with gardens, so therefore a large pool of possible properties to start your search.

And of course, it's Brighton. Only 50 mins from Kings Cross...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys for the helpful suggestions - I was certainly encouraged by those websites - especially spareoom.co.uk - at least there are some landlords / owners who'd consider taking a dog. I couldn't find any on Foxtons and the big sites. Gumtree seems to be a scammers' playground.

We're looking for a short let garden flat, probably 'sarf of the river (Oval/Stockwell/Clapham North). We used to live near Marylebone before moving to ADL but the budget's way lower now!

Linloo - yes it's amazing how many people talk to us when we've got our hound with us. He's a big gorgeous boy who is so sloppy, he just flops to the ground when another dog comes and makes everyone laugh! Great conversation starter. Problem is we're in our early thirties and deep in suburbia in the western suburbs, with retirees and young families, so I guess we miss mingling with young(ish) independent folk.

We considered a move to Norwood / Unley for more young professionals but I think the big city thing is what we've missed the most.

LisaP- I LOVE Brighton and the whole laid back bohemian vibe. I used to attend pride for like a decade or something. It's not something we'll rule out when we come to buy a flat (once we've got jobs nailed down for a few months- and hopefully meet the banks' lending criteria). I'm really interested in the threads talking about what the banks require - I can provide evidence of a steady income in the past but without a job lined up in London I think we'll be stuck renting for a while.

The dog's been rabies vaccinated but we haven't booked the flights yet - like others on here we just keep holding off. We've broken the news to family here and they're understandably devastated. I also love my job here which is holding me back. I guess we're just another couple of pairs of cold feet! I just want to make the right decision, and after 3 years my gut instinct says to go back.... fingers crossed the gut is right
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

not that this is what you were asking- but have you thought about another state in Aus?
I have a really good friend who has not lived in Melbourne but he and his partner visit frequently and love the vibe in the city. Lots of gay friendly places (but they are not scene people being in their 40's).

just might be less upheaval than a dramatic and expensive move around the world.....
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

pocketrocket,, this is just a thought and may be a stupid one. Have you looked at folks who rent out their places for vacations? I just rented a home in California for a week - landlady hadn't rented it out so allowed us to stay for 1/2 of what she usually charges. I looked at pet friendly places only as we had dog wanted to bring (have picture of paw so you know which places are pet friendly). I just think that depending on when you move to London esp if winter months you might be able to find something and negotiate a deal. I can only use US as comparison but might be worth having a gander at sites like homeaway.com, vrbo.com, tripadvisor.com which I think are not that US centric. My brother and I are both unmarried, no kids so our dog is our child. We would not leave US without him. Good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fulwood
pocketrocket,, this is just a thought and may be a stupid one. Have you looked at folks who rent out their places for vacations? I just rented a home in California for a week - landlady hadn't rented it out so allowed us to stay for 1/2 of what she usually charges. I looked at pet friendly places only as we had dog wanted to bring (have picture of paw so you know which places are pet friendly). I just think that depending on when you move to London esp if winter months you might be able to find something and negotiate a deal. I can only use US as comparison but might be worth having a gander at sites like homeaway.com, vrbo.com, tripadvisor.com which I think are not that US centric. My brother and I are both unmarried, no kids so our dog is our child. We would not leave US without him. Good luck.
Hi Pomster - yep we've tried Melbourne - and Sydney - and we've been thinking of both, but I think it's the connections through our old friends which bring us back to London, plus the sheer scale of the place. I dunno, when we got off the plane last time it felt like.. home, even though it was grimy Heathrow!

Fulwood- cheers for the suggestion, we'll register and see if anyone wants the three of us. House sitting is gaining popularity so we're going to check it out.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.. it's making the whole thing a lot easier to unscramble. :-)
Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocketrocket
Thanks guys for the helpful suggestions - I was certainly encouraged by those websites - especially spareoom.co.uk - at least there are some landlords / owners who'd consider taking a dog. I couldn't find any on Foxtons and the big sites. Gumtree seems to be a scammers' playground.

We're looking for a short let garden flat, probably 'sarf of the river (Oval/Stockwell/Clapham North). We used to live near Marylebone before moving to ADL but the budget's way lower now!

Linloo - yes it's amazing how many people talk to us when we've got our hound with us. He's a big gorgeous boy who is so sloppy, he just flops to the ground when another dog comes and makes everyone laugh! Great conversation starter. Problem is we're in our early thirties and deep in suburbia in the western suburbs, with retirees and young families, so I guess we miss mingling with young(ish) independent folk.

We considered a move to Norwood / Unley for more young professionals but I think the big city thing is what we've missed the most.

LisaP- I LOVE Brighton and the whole laid back bohemian vibe. I used to attend pride for like a decade or something. It's not something we'll rule out when we come to buy a flat (once we've got jobs nailed down for a few months- and hopefully meet the banks' lending criteria). I'm really interested in the threads talking about what the banks require - I can provide evidence of a steady income in the past but without a job lined up in London I think we'll be stuck renting for a while.

The dog's been rabies vaccinated but we haven't booked the flights yet - like others on here we just keep holding off. We've broken the news to family here and they're understandably devastated. I also love my job here which is holding me back. I guess we're just another couple of pairs of cold feet! I just want to make the right decision, and after 3 years my gut instinct says to go back.... fingers crossed the gut is right
Sorry, I can't give you any advice for pet friendly landlord in London but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.