Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Desire to return to live in UK

Desire to return to live in UK

Old Oct 7th 2017, 8:27 am
Just Joined

nickce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desire to return to live in UK

I have been living and working in Holland since 1991. From 2015, retired plus more time to re-evaluate my life. I find it very lonely, difficult to make friends, homesick, and now for several reasons, think that life satisfaction would better be achieved back home! I have been advised of multiple departments to contact but I have no friends/close family to ask for help or put me up. Finances do not allow me to make visits in person. Can anybody advise on exactly, in my situation, how best to start this journey??
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desire to return to live in UK

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Are you a UK citizen? If so, you can just return home anytime you like.

From my limited understanding, you won't be eligible for benefits of any kind until you've been in the UK for a while, so if you don't have any friends or family you can ask for help from, you will need to fund the move yourself.

But I'll move this to our UK forum where the kind folks there will no doubt be able to help you work out when and if you would be entitled to any kind of benefits upon your return.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Retired ? Do you have a pension ? Have you paid National Insurance in the Uk or the equivalent in the Netherlands ?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:26 am
Just Joined

I still have a UK passport. I receive part UK pension and part Ned pension. Total equates to under UK tax theshold. I think these issues are not a problem. My point is. If I jump on a plane and say, go to Bham as my choice, I lived there for 28 years, what next when I get off plane? Mobility probs and no desire to walk street. No longer family or close friends to rely on.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to put myself in your shoes! Firstly, does your pension get paid into a UK and account? If so, it is good you have that account. You would need to arrange for the Ned one to be paid into that as well, if it is not already. I would probably book an AirBNB for a couple of days while you look around for somewhere more permanent. You would need some savings to get you started. Once you have a more permanent address you can sort out your council tax commitment and use that as your address to register with a GP. Let DWP, your bank etc know of your change of address. As stated above, you would not be able to claim benefits for awhile.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

In answer. I have no bank account in UK. Several years ago, on a rare visit to UK I enquired in a bank in Nottingham about opening a UK account. Not possible as I did not (and still do not ) have a UK address. So, monies from UK and Ned are paid to a Ned bank. Plus, as I recently found out, tax what you have to pay here is, as far as I know, totally different than there! I a.m. therefore limited now with finances having paid back what in UK is tax free. I foresee that getting around without my own wheels plus limited budget to pay for temp accomodation might prove a stumbling block
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickce
I foresee that getting around without my own wheels plus limited budget to pay for temp accomodation might prove a stumbling block
Public transport is good in most places in the UK, so I don't think not having a car will be an issue, as long as you ensure you're on a train/bus route and can get places.

Not having much of a budget to pay for accommodation will be an issue though, but have a look at websites like Air BnB as suggested above, you could just hire a room in a house for a while until you can find your feet. Are you planning on going back to work?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

I worked for 40+ years in mainframe comp ops and nowadays these animals are few and far between. Also, have been out of it since retirement, and things change overnight so I would be out of touch. Also, diagnosed with leg problem meaning use of stick and difficulties with distance and getting up stairs. So, I think work is out of the equasion
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say a good 6 months savings would be needed to get started... renting accommodation + daily living expenses. I'm not sure what the cutoff waiting period is, but at some point based on income you'd be eligible for social housing and other benefits.

You'd be surprised how applicable your mainframe experience might still be. Not only for current mainframe shops (which still exist), but server environments where additional training might be available to come up to snuff. Most of this at the desk.

It sounds risky and scary, I know, but I'd think a hop over from Holland for a visit wouldn't be that costly and worth to do to make sure this is what would make for a happy retirement. Hopefully, friends would be made along the way.

Last edited by Richard8655; Oct 7th 2017 at 9:24 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's 3 months back in UK with a verifiable address , utility bills etc before you can claim benefits. something at the back of my mind says that if you're a UK pensioner, this does not apply. Brit In Paris - any thoughts?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

As suggested, a return visit to look at accommodation etc and a visit to Citizens advice bureau for help about any benefits; financial advice and accommodation.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 11:27 am
Just Joined

I think it has become very clear concerning benefits/claims. But down to the nitty gritty. I read that after getting to a town of choice first from ferry terminal or airport, first step is find a hotel room. Then, trek to letting agents. Obtain a room. While in room, register with council/housing assocs and then stay there for min 6 months? I ask because of financial restraints I.e. living there and still paying for flat here. Plus, there comes a time when I would have to return here to settle affairs. Am I understanding the practicalities correctly??
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno about Brum but we have housing on the Isle of Bute ! Not sure that i should be encouraging all you settlers to come here !
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickce
I think it has become very clear concerning benefits/claims. But down to the nitty gritty. I read that after getting to a town of choice first from ferry terminal or airport, first step is find a hotel room. Then, trek to letting agents. Obtain a room. While in room, register with council/housing assocs and then stay there for min 6 months? I ask because of financial restraints I.e. living there and still paying for flat here. Plus, there comes a time when I would have to return here to settle affairs. Am I understanding the practicalities correctly??
You can do some of the prep-work on-line, such as looking at rentals on Web sites such as zoopla, home.co.uk, rightmove etc, (Google <rent home uk>) and checking local public transport links and the location of supermarkets, libraries, doctors.

If your interests are primarily just affordable housing and local facilities and not proximity to friends or family, then I would research locations other than just Birmingham. Housing may be significantly cheaper in towns further north, or west of Birmingham in Wales. You should look at places even in Scotland, and you can check both rents and the location of services on-line, and pick somewhere to go and look at in person.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Scot47. Could be very interesting. Two questions. 1) I obviously have various questions appertaining to my current requirements that need to be addressed beforehand which only you could answer--which I don't think should be publically posted and 2) The site you gave has " disappeared". Can you let me have it again please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.