depression

Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:07 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default depression

Has anyone else become depressed after emmigrating? Ive suffered only once before and that was pnd. This feels different but similar. I keep thinking im losing the plot. So many things have happened since we got here, now i just keep thinking i want to go "home". I dont hate the place but not in love with it either. Some days i just cry for no reason, but nothing i can put my finger on. We are so lucky and priveleged to be here but i miss my old life
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice
Default Re: depression

#ozzieclare, take heart hun, you are not alone. I started this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ti+depressants thread, and was blown away by the response.

Please read this and know you are not alone!!.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:43 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

thanks will take a look x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
Has anyone else become depressed after emmigrating? Ive suffered only once before and that was pnd. This feels different but similar. I keep thinking im losing the plot. So many things have happened since we got here, now i just keep thinking i want to go "home". I dont hate the place but not in love with it either. Some days i just cry for no reason, but nothing i can put my finger on. We are so lucky and priveleged to be here but i miss my old life
Yeah, many people can become depressed after emigrating to another country. It's not just part of your life that's been turned on its head - it's your whole life. It's a decision that can't always easily be gotten out of if you decide it isn't for you, and I think that almost trapped-like feeling certainly is a big factor in that kind of depression. Add to that homesickness, missing your family and friends, feeling like you don't belong (yet), all sorts of things that on their own, you'd probably brush off, all contribute to a bigger thing. If you can go and see a doctor and talk it through with them, it might be a good idea before it escalates and you end up making a decision based on your (what could be otherwise temporary) emotional state. Good luck
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Some days i just cry for no reason, but nothing i can put my finger on.
What, no reason at all? It's a bit strange to cry for no reason don't you think?

We are so lucky and priveleged to be here but i miss my old life
Aha! So THERE'S the reason you were looking for! (It's an extremely good one by the way!)

I think it's a very common experience. I've had it many a time and still do sometimes. It can be extremely distressing.

There's no easy fix. Even moving back home doesn't always fix it, or at least not straight away.

Just try to work out what's best for you overall, accept that you simply CANNOT have the best of both worlds (that's a really difficult part I think) and then focus your energy on getting wherever it is that you most want to be and try to enjoy all that is good about it, and don't spend too much time worrying about the things that are wrong with it, or the things you miss about the other place.

In giving you this advice I feel strange because it's like I'm also giving myself the same advice. That's the advice I need anyway. The really hard thing for me, as I said, is to try and accept that I simply can't have the things I like about being in Britain AND the things I like about being here.

I think once I find it within myself to somehow come to terms with that I'll be ok. Although easy it is most certainly NOT!

Hope you can work it out!

Last edited by backagen; Sep 20th 2008 at 9:03 am.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:09 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We are so lucky and priveleged to be here :
Why are you? Just because some silly TV show says it, or the Daily Mail or The Sun spout their rubbish tales of the Lucky Country.

I have never felt lucky or priviledged to be here in this, an ex prisoner colony. After spending four years here I feel a hell of a lot prouder to be British and going home.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:22 am
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Why are you? Just because some silly TV show says it, or the Daily Mail or The Sun spout their rubbish tales of the Lucky Country.

I have never felt lucky or priviledged to be here in this, an ex prisoner colony. After spending four years here I feel a hell of a lot prouder to be British and going home.
maybe i meant the opportunity, some people dont even get that eg coz of their skills or whatever, anyway good luck with the return x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Just remember why you left in the first place, at least that's what I keep telling my OH. I love been back in N.Ireland after 26 years but do have the odd cry to myself as well sometimes. It's always more difficult when the one half hates it and the other loves it but you can't live being miserable. Give yourself a time frame and if you're still miserable, pack it all in and come back.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:33 am
looking for my marbles

its not that i miss the uk, its not that i hate it here. Im sort of in limbo land i think, its been one big anticlimax. I just want my old life back with familiarity and people i know
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW

I wish I shared your negative views about Australia because it would make my decision very very easy indeed to move back.

Unfortunately I happen to believe Australia actually is much better than UK in many ways (and overall if I'm being honest)

Nevertheless I have my reasons for wanting to move back and that's why it's so hard.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clare, I have been watching your progress with interest, from your excitement about the journey from UK to getting here and then realisation setting in that this is your new life. I am truly, truly sorry that you are feeling like this, it is absolutely gut wrenching (I too feel like this). I too am in Adelaide, but in the North, I wish we could get together for a good chinwag.

I know you post on another site too, which is where I first saw you, I must say I no longer log in as I cannot bear the 'loving it' brigade, it really did make me feel like a failure. Then I found this place, where people feel free enough to be honest about not loving it and feeling out of place. It really has been my salvation and I now know I'm not alone (theres nothing worse than wondering if it's just you). It doesn't have to mean you hate Australia (I certainly dont) but admitting it may not be for you is not admitting defeat - rather showing you have not only the strength in the first place to try it, but to also have the strength to say 'this may not be for me'. You are no failure girl - you are a do'er!

If I can do anything or you want to try meeting up, let me know, stay strong hun x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:21 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Hi Clare, I have been watching your progress with interest, from your excitement about the journey from UK to getting here and then realisation setting in that this is your new life. I am truly, truly sorry that you are feeling like this, it is absolutely gut wrenching (I too feel like this). I too am in Adelaide, but in the North, I wish we could get together for a good chinwag.

I know you post on another site too, which is where I first saw you, I must say I no longer log in as I cannot bear the 'loving it' brigade, it really did make me feel like a failure. Then I found this place, where people feel free enough to be honest about not loving it and feeling out of place. It really has been my salvation and I now know I'm not alone (theres nothing worse than wondering if it's just you). It doesn't have to mean you hate Australia (I certainly dont) but admitting it may not be for you is not admitting defeat - rather showing you have not only the strength in the first place to try it, but to also have the strength to say 'this may not be for me'. You are no failure girl - you are a do'er!

If I can do anything or you want to try meeting up, let me know, stay strong hun x

its hard because all the people ive met seem to love it and are happy etc. Even my husband, maybe theres something wrong with me We will have to meet up for a chat x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean - anytime you like hun, pm me x
Old Sep 21st 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide

Have just posted something similar on the 'Anti depressants' thread, but would really like to meet up with other like minded souls who are based in Adelaide for a good chat.