Deported back to the Uk

Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of
Default Deported back to the Uk

If a British citizen who has been living abroad for 15 years is deported back to the UK is there a specific course of action to take? With nowhere to go and no money what is the best thing to do upon arrival?

I just found this on CAB website link:

Deported from another country. If you have been deported to the UK from another country, you do not have to be habitually resident (and are entitled) if you claim housing benefit or council tax rebate, or apply for housing or homelessness assistance.

Last edited by tonyjames44; Feb 16th 2016 at 2:53 am.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deported back to the Uk

Originally Posted by tonyjames44
If a British citizen who has been living abroad for 15 years is deported back to the UK is there a specific course of action to take? With nowhere to go and no money what is the best thing to do upon arrival?

I just found this on CAB website link:

Deported from another country. If you have been deported to the UK from another country, you do not have to be habitually resident (and are entitled) if you claim housing benefit or council tax rebate, or apply for housing or homelessness assistance.
Maybe contact either the local CAB or the local authority of the area you end up in.

Note that this link only says MAY be exempt

Some people are exempt from the habitual residence part of the test. If you are exempt you will not have to show that you are habitually resident. For example, you may be exempt if you:

are a refugee or have been granted discretionary leave or leave under humanitarian rules
have been granted leave under a domestic violence concession
are not subject to immigration control and have been deported, expelled or removed from another country to the UK

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 16th 2016 at 3:48 am.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe contact either the local CAB or the local authority of the area you end up in.

Note that this link only says MAY be exempt

Some people are exempt from the habitual residence part of the test. If you are exempt you will not have to show that you are habitually resident. For example, you may be exempt if you:

are a refugee or have been granted discretionary leave or leave under humanitarian rules
have been granted leave under a domestic violence concession
are not subject to immigration control and have been deported, expelled or removed from another country to the UK

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/
Perhaps the OP could also refer to the advice already given on the other threads concerning his situation?
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:38 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Perhaps the OP could also refer to the advice already given on the other threads concerning his situation?

Indeed
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of

Indeed, the advice before was all taken in and Im grateful. Now however the situation has changed. I have a deportation order and I must return home in 2 weeks.
I literally just have enough for my overstay fine and flight, so i shall be arriving with nothing with nowhere to go.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by tonyjames44
Indeed, the advice before was all taken in and Im grateful. Now however the situation has changed. I have a deportation order and I must return home in 2 weeks.
I literally just have enough for my overstay fine and flight, so i shall be arriving with nothing with nowhere to go.
If you have no friends who can help you out then I suggest rsearching the location of the local CAB and council where you will end up.

There used to be -and may still be - somewhere at Heathrow that you could go to on arrival if you are really stuck, I'll try and find the link for you in case it still exists.

thank you BristolUK, its in the UK links sticky thread

http://heathrowtravelcare.co.uk give them a go, they've been mentioned several times on here over the years.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 17th 2016 at 6:48 am.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I can't suggest more than asking your father and/or gf and/or her family for a loan. French Law does actually stipulate ("obligation alimentaire") that parents must provide for their children in need (in the same way as their children must provide for them), but it could be proposed as a reimbursable loan.
Hope it works out for you OK.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Heathrow Travel Care - Independent Crisis Social Work at Heathrow Airport give them a go, they've been mentioned several times on here over the years.
I was thinking about/vaguely looking for that link, so thanks Pollyana.

Also, without going back & rereading all the threads on the OP's situation, I seem to recall he's an ESL/EFL teacher who doesn't actually *want* to return to the UK, but who has to leave Thailand.

It's probably too late in the game, but I'm vaguely wondering if it might not be possible/easier for OP to go to a neighbouring country & work in his field while he sorts out Thailand situation?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

Also, without going back & rereading all the threads on the OP's situation, I seem to recall he's an ESL/EFL teacher who doesn't actually *want* to return to the UK, but who has to leave Thailand.

It's probably too late in the game, but I'm vaguely wondering if it might not be possible/easier for OP to go to a neighbouring country & work in his field while he sorts out Thailand situation?

I remember he did mention that he was offered 20 hours a week teaching English in Paris. If his father lives near enough to Paris, it might be possible, but otherwise a large proportion of his salary would disappear in Paris or suburbs rent and/or transport.
If it's possible for him to settle temporarily in a neighbouring country, it would also save the air fare back to Europe and he'd have that much more cash in hand...
Old Jun 26th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

chipsncurry is an unknown quantity at this point

Only problem I could foresee is that Paris, like Italy, is hellishly expensive.

It might be better if the OP could teach in Vietnam or somewhere, where the living cost is much lower. Paris is no place for a poor TEFL teacher.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have no friends who can help you out then I suggest rsearching the location of the local CAB and council where you will end up.

There used to be -and may still be - somewhere at Heathrow that you could go to on arrival if you are really stuck, I'll try and find the link for you in case it still exists.

thank you BristolUK, its in the UK links sticky thread

Heathrow Travel Care - Independent Crisis Social Work at Heathrow Airport give them a go, they've been mentioned several times on here over the years.
That's a good link- it says in order to bypass the Habitual residence test -and thereby qualify for assistance -is to bring evidence of deportation:

'The only way a returnee can bypass a HRT is if they are formally deported, expelled or removed by compulsion of law from overseas and returns with evidence to show this, i.e. deportation documents, letter from Prisoners Abroad, stamp in passport, letter from Embassy.'
Old Jun 26th 2016, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

What would the base be for someone who has not been deported?

One quick question...can I work if I have a N.I. number but have not been resident/working in the UK for X number of years? What would I be required to do then? Register with inland revenue/tax that I am back....am I then eligible to work, if I find a job directly, or am I required to deal with the jobcentre as well, in registering as a jobseeker? Anyone know?!
Old Jun 26th 2016, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chipsncurry
What would the base be for someone who has not been deported?

One quick question...can I work if I have a N.I. number but have not been resident/working in the UK for X number of years? What would I be required to do then? Register with inland revenue/tax that I am back....am I then eligible to work, if I find a job directly, or am I required to deal with the jobcentre as well, in registering as a jobseeker? Anyone know?!
The link states that proving Habitual residence can take days or months, therefore getting help like accommodation is difficult.
however I have read on this forum that if you are a british citizen returning to take up residence ( as opposed to a visit) then you are entitle to NHS care straight away etc. So you are ' a returning resident'.

If you have an NI number I think you can take up any work offered you or you can go to the job centre in your area to seek work.
May be use a friend's address if you are staying with someone or rent a room (spareroomcouk) is good. I think you can then register with the revenue later, and/or your employer will automatically deduct tax. The NI contributions you may have missed, you can pay back some years.
You can also register with a GP, if they want proof of address get whoever you are staying with to write a letter stating that. you could also get on the electoral register at the local town helps to build up your credit record for the future and proof of address.

found this link https://www.gov.uk/tax-return-uk
Old Jun 26th 2016, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your reply Angie.

The information about NI and what the employer would do, is what I was looking for.

I might be able to stay with a friend, or would have to rough it a bit/stay in youth hostel, then look for shared house or something.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chipsncurry
Thank you for your reply Angie.

The information about NI and what the employer would do, is what I was looking for.

I might be able to stay with a friend, or would have to rough it a bit/stay in youth hostel, then look for shared house or something.
Well good luck that. spareroom is good, gumtree ok, with room rentals you don't need large deposits, or have to commit to a long tenancy until you are sorted workwise. You can also couchsurf, may be cheaper than youth hostel., https://www.gumtree.com/couch-surfing/ also means you can give an address for work or ask a friend to allow you to use theirs even if not staying.

Then you can change the posal address when settled.
do you still have a uk driving licence? this can serve as proof of address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.