Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Daughter doesn't want to go back now??

Daughter doesn't want to go back now??

Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:22 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Daughter doesn't want to go back now??

My daughter threw me a curve ball yesterday....

..she now says that she DOESN'T want to go back to England....

She says she likes her school and wants to stay.

She is only 11. Bless her.

She was the second reason why we were going to return and leave lovely (but boring) Asturias.

First reason was purely financial but there are many more other reasons I could add.

So I am blown away by this total change of mind. For months she has said she hates the school, it's boring and wants to go to England so she can have drama/acting classes.

It's only added to the confused state of mind I have...
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:54 am
Just Joined

spanishdancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Daughter doesn't want to go back now??

As a mother to daughters just a few years younger than yours I can empathise. I think at this point only you can decide what is really best for her, maybe not for now but for the future. I know she is only eleven but the age where they have to start making critical decisions will soon come around and it depends on your family priorities. Change is overwhelming for everyone. One of my daughters was excited about going back to the UK but I don´t think she understood the permanence of it, leaving friends behind etc and now she is starting to question more about what it will actually involve. I could go on and on. PM me if you want to chat in depth.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

She is probably scared of the unknown - kids do tend to get a bit anxious at that age. Bottom line though is what is the decision you are going to make for you - the kids just go along for the ride IMHO.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

quoll you are right. As mums we have to ensure our own happiness before we can make everyone happy around us. I am learning that at the moment as I make changes.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:28 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Quoll and Spanishdancer.

You are both right...us moms are the decision makers for their future and my daughter has probably got a touch of the wobbles.

Thanks for the replies...it's nice to have this forum isn't it? with moms who understand.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Shame she's got cold feet, but at 11 my kids don't get to decide what is best for the family, if the move is right for you and the rest, then she's outta luck. I'm sure she'll settle in fine once there, but I'm also sure if she's anything like my lot, she'll have some stroppy moods in the meantime
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:16 pm
Banned

boo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Shame she's got cold feet, but at 11 my kids don't get to decide what is best for the family, if the move is right for you and the rest, then she's outta luck. I'm sure she'll settle in fine once there, but I'm also sure if she's anything like my lot, she'll have some stroppy moods in the meantime
couldn't agree more, that's why 11 year olds don't get to vote at an election!!!
they don't know enough about anything and a slong as the parents are happy the kids will pick on those good vibes, I'm stressed at the moment and unfortunately my 13 and almost 17 year olds are picking up on that and so I am going to have to take some deep breaths, meditate, count to 10 and just wait for things to sell and move out of this boring place back to the buzz of the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by boo meringue
couldn't agree more, that's why 11 year olds don't get to vote at an election!!!
they don't know enough about anything and a slong as the parents are happy the kids will pick on those good vibes, I'm stressed at the moment and unfortunately my 13 and almost 17 year olds are picking up on that and so I am going to have to take some deep breaths, meditate, count to 10 and just wait for things to sell and move out of this boring place back to the buzz of the UK.
I am sure she will thank me for it when she is older...

My kids also used to have a happy, chilled and positive mom..and I can't remember the last time I had a good belly laugh..

Since I have been here, I have been a bit of a nervous wreck...panicky and anxious. All in my head but I just would be on top of the world to be back home..
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:00 pm
Banned

boo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really nice

Originally Posted by manamama

My kids also used to have a happy, chilled and positive mom..and I can't remember the last time I had a good belly laugh..

Since I have been here, I have been a bit of a nervous wreck...panicky and anxious. All in my head but I just would be on top of the world to be back home..
same here - I've never been so scared alone and depressed, I used to be the eternal bubbly optimist - chins up and look forward
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:25 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Same for me. I said exactly this to my husband the other day! I may not have had mountains, beaches and lakes on my door step in inner city Manchester but I did LAUGH lots more than I do here. Each day feels like a struggle with one problem after another. I think life can just be like that but when you haven't got that closeness of friends and you're not laughing the blues away, everything just becomes blue. I call the girls back home and we're laughing in moments.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:25 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spanishdancer
quoll you are right. As mums we have to ensure our own happiness before we can make everyone happy around us. I am learning that at the moment as I make changes.
Here, here! Happy mummies are great mummies. Be happy all. x
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:52 pm

OK Panic over....daughter DOES now want to move back to England.

On the drive home from school today, she said she's fed up with Asturias, it's boring and she wants to go back to England, doesn't like her school, wants to go to a English speaking school where she understands the work, etc etc etc...

Phew back on track...I suppose she will change her mind again in a day or two. Pre-teens eh?

Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in Space

OK Panic over....daughter DOES now want to move back to England.

On the drive home from school today, she said she's fed up with Asturias, it's boring and she wants to go back to England, doesn't like her school, wants to go to a English speaking school where she understands the work, etc etc etc...

Phew back on track...I suppose she will change her mind again in a day or two. Pre-teens eh?

Pre teens and pregnant women. I can identfy with her although going back is firmly in place now and I'm not wavring so far. It just feels like a long slog to get there.

Glad she's back on board, for now!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God the hormones are playing havoc
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

I have figured that we just have to enjoy the rest of our time that we have here enjoying the things that were a novelty and a source of joy at first. I am sure that if I return to the UK I will enjoy viewing it with a fresh, appreciative perspective that I wouldn´t have had had it not been for this experience. I have had some awful lows here and some highs too. In the meantime let's not put happiness on hold, we can belly laugh on regardless!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.