Dangerous Dog Registry

Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:20 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dangerous Dog Registry

Watch out pitbulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers, German Shepherds - your cards are marked.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...dog-ordinance-
in-college-park/

Of course, I don't understand how having your dog "registered" makes anyone any safer. Perhaps someone could explain to me the benefits, other than just a feel-good / money grab issue.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dangerous Dog Registry

I think it is a money-grab issue. Not every dog in those breeds in the Atlanta area will have been aggressive or have bitten someone or another dog. What about putting Chihuahua's on the list. They can be very aggressive and do bite, although not quite as serious as a larger dog's bite.
I would be very put out if I had to register our Rottweiler. She is very friendly and has never been aggressive, growled or bitten anyone/anything.
I do think though, that, one bite and they're out, no matter size or temperament.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I think it is a money-grab issue. Not every dog in those breeds in the Atlanta area will have been aggressive or have bitten someone or another dog. What about putting Chihuahua's on the list. They can be very aggressive and do bite, although not quite as serious as a larger dog's bite.
I would be very put out if I had to register our Rottweiler. She is very friendly and has never been aggressive, growled or bitten anyone/anything.
I do think though, that, one bite and they're out, no matter size or temperament.
I guess you didn't read the link.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:08 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbor's Burmese mountain dog has injured his spine and can't go up stairs. So I've been lifting Oliver up and down the stairs twice a day. He's 140lbs. I was leery when I first picked him up because I didn't want to hurt him and get bitten from reflex.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with you Octang, I have no clue what benefit it is going to be to have rotti's, german shepherds, pit-bulls and dobermans registered. If a dog is going to bite, it's going to bite whether it's on a register or not or am I missing the bloody point. I have, unfortunately, been involved in this with our beloved Rottweiler who had never shown any signs of aggression before, and we'd had him since he was 8 weeks old. Unfortunately, he lunged at our neighbours daughter and cut her face, subsequently taken into quarantine and we had to make the decision to have him put to sleep. He was 4 and a half, had only been in the States for about 4 weeks, had had a lot of changes in his life, new house, new environment, new everything and I should have been more vigilant as I've always considered myself a responsible owner. Buster was trained well, and we knew all the traits of the Rotti breed, but even with all that knowledge, he acted totally out of character that day and paid the price. I don't know what benefit him being on a register would have had and tbh, labradors have one of the highest attack/bite rates as far as I know
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the logic is the same as that used with sex offenders, namely that a dog that's already bitten someone has a propensity to "reoffend". I have no idea whether there's any evidence to back that assertion - it would be interesting to know. I do know that if anyone in my family got bitten, I would be suing the shit out of the owner.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
My neighbor's Burmese mountain dog has injured his spine and can't go up stairs. So I've been lifting Oliver up and down the stairs twice a day. He's 140lbs. I was leery when I first picked him up because I didn't want to hurt him and get bitten from reflex.
Bernese Mountain Dog, maybe?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
I have to agree with you Octang, I have no clue what benefit it is going to be to have rotti's, german shepherds, pit-bulls and dobermans registered. If a dog is going to bite, it's going to bite whether it's on a register or not or am I missing the bloody point. I have, unfortunately, been involved in this with our beloved Rottweiler who had never shown any signs of aggression before, and we'd had him since he was 8 weeks old. Unfortunately, he lunged at our neighbours daughter and cut her face, subsequently taken into quarantine and we had to make the decision to have him put to sleep. He was 4 and a half, had only been in the States for about 4 weeks, had had a lot of changes in his life, new house, new environment, new everything and I should have been more vigilant as I've always considered myself a responsible owner. Buster was trained well, and we knew all the traits of the Rotti breed, but even with all that knowledge, he acted totally out of character that day and paid the price. I don't know what benefit him being on a register would have had and tbh, labradors have one of the highest attack/bite rates as far as I know
I remember my vet in the UK saying there are more incidences of dog bites by Labs than any other breed.

I'm sorry you had to have your dog put to sleep...it must have been heartbreaking.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember my vet in the UK saying there are more incidences of dog bites by Labs than any other breed.

I'm sorry you had to have your dog put to sleep...it must have been heartbreaking.
Could that be that there are more labs than other breeds? This interesting article in Wikipedia seems to place labs way at the top of most of the lists, British, US & Canadian (based on registrations, but maybe approximately reflects actual populations...)
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow the comments under the article people certainly feel strongly on this issue.

What I don't like is people who use the dog to intimidate those around them, with a jolly "Don't worry, he's very friendly" as Rover snarls/leaps at you.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Could that be that there are more labs than other breeds? This interesting article in Wikipedia seems to place labs way at the top of most of the lists, British, US & Canadian (based on registrations, but maybe approximately reflects actual populations...)
Possibly...

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Wow the comments under the article people certainly feel strongly on this issue.

What I don't like is people who use the dog to intimidate those around them, with a jolly "Don't worry, he's very friendly" as Rover snarls/leaps at you.
I don't like dogs being off leash enabling them to run over to you or your dog. When I had dobermans I was amazed how many people with dogs (especially small dogs)...would have them off leash and let them run up to my dobes.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't like dogs being off leash enabling them to run over to you or your dog. When I had dobermans I was amazed how many people with dogs (especially small dogs)...would have them off leash and let them run up to my dobes.

I totally agree. Dogs should be on a leash unless they're in a designated off-leash area (e.g. dog park). I have 2 pugs and even though they're small it doesn't matter - they can't be running up to people and dogs as they wish!
One of ours would probably walk right next to us even without the leash but there's no way we'd risk it, you just never know 100% what a dog will do!

As an aside, we were walking them one evening and there was a young pitbull type dog across the street with this guy sitting on a wall, I assumed the dog was on a leash but no! Next thing we knew this dog was halfway across a very busy 5-lane road. It was probably friendly but who knows? Luckily it listened when the guy called it back to him, and he didn't get hit by a car. The guy was shouting at the dog as if it was the dog's fault... er, next time maybe leash your dog you idiot!

As for "dangerous dogs" - pitbulls have the worst reputation, deserved or not, but there's the potential for any dog to be dangerous! Some of the smaller breeds are actually more outwardly vicious than the bigger ones - someone mentioned chihuahuas, and I have to say most of the chihuahuas I've met have been fairly nasty! Then you get the German Shepherds, rottweilers, dobermans, even pitbulls who are soft as marshmallows! It really does depend most of the time on the owners, and the situation of course.

Brat1, I'm so sorry you had to have your dog put to sleep, that must have been absolutely heartbreaking
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
"He's just playing". Well, so what? I don't want him/her jumping all over me even if they are.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"He's just playing". Well, so what? I don't want him/her jumping all over me even if they are.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:25 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by robin1234
Bernese Mountain Dog, maybe?
Thanks for the correction.

A corruption of "Bernese Mountain Dog", a large and gentle Swiss farm dog, bred to pull carts, do some guard work and as a companion dog.

That certainly describes Oliver. Very gentle. I actually thought he's "special", because he never gets excited about anything.

I had a real pitbull sit on my lap and I petted him, with some hesitancy. I can do most dogs, but I was on edge with this guy. He was just huge tub of solid muscle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.